Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
James Clavell's Shogun $1.99 on Kindle

Possibly other stores/readers:

https://www.amazon.com/Shōgun-Epic-N.../dp/B07H8MDF7C
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
your link doesn't seem to work. Here's another one: Shogun
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Thank you I’ve bought it. I might use the dictionary a lot for this one. It will also be the occasion to reactivate word wise
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Thanks for the link. Lol, I remember reading this and Tai-Pan when I was 8.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
For those that don't know it, did you know there are SIX books in this SERIES? I didn't even know it was a series having only read Shogun years ago (I think I was 15 or 16).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
For those that don't know it, did you know there are SIX books in this SERIES? I didn't even know it was a series having only read Shogun years ago (I think I was 15 or 16).
It's only very loosely a series. Shōgun doesn't have a sequel. None of its characters appear in the other books. King Rat (about a prisoner of war in WWII) was the first written. I think James Clavell decided to turn his books into a series when he wrote his next book: Noble House.

Here's the Wikipedia page: The Asian Saga

Quote:
Four of the six books—Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, Noble House, and Whirlwind—follow the dealings of the great trading company Struan's, the Noble House of Asia (based on Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited), its founder Dirk Struan, and his various descendants. Gai-Jin provides the major link between the Shōgun and Struan's storylines.
Reading the page, I would have liked to read Nippon, a book he was planning to set in 1970's Japan.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Buyer beware. I already owned this in kindle format and Amazon didn't warn me. This is happening more and more often. I really have to check my book list EVERY time because you really cannot count on Amazon to warn you. They used to... but no more.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Maybe you owned a different edition?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Buyer beware. I already owned this in kindle format and Amazon didn't warn me. This is happening more and more often. I really have to check my book list EVERY time because you really cannot count on Amazon to warn you. They used to... but no more.
Ack!

Thanks for the heads up.

So, if you buy a book that you already have, do you end up with _two_ in your library???? It seems that just recently Amazon wouldn't _allow_ a customer to have more than one copy!
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am still getting notices if I try to purchase an eBook again. I had one just the other day.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
FWIW, if you discover that you bought a book again, Amazon Customer service has been good about refunding one of them if you bought both through Amazon.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
FWIW, if you discover that you bought a book again, Amazon Customer service has been good about refunding one of them if you bought both through Amazon.
Any ebook can be returned within a week of purchase through the content and devices page, no need to contact CS. It's probably best not to pull that too often, but it's easy enough to undo a mistake (very helpful when a random touch has one-click purchased a book.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
So, if you buy a book that you already have, do you end up with _two_ in your library???? It seems that just recently Amazon wouldn't _allow_ a customer to have more than one copy!
If the edition is the same, Amazon won't let you buy it a second time. The orange 'Buy now with 1-Click' button will instead be a green 'Read Now' button and there will be a banner across the top saying 'You purchased this book on January 1st, 2017' or somesuch.

The problem comes when a publisher relists the book, perhaps there's a new introduction or what-have-you. The ISBN changes and to Amazon, that's a new book.

I thought Shōgun went on sale just recently. I checked all my Kindle books and didn't have any by James Clavell, so I'm glad this was spotted.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If the edition is the same, Amazon won't let you buy it a second time. The orange 'Buy now with 1-Click' button will instead be a green 'Read Now' button and there will be a banner across the top saying 'You purchased this book on January 1st, 2017' or somesuch.

The problem comes when a publisher relists the book, perhaps there's a new introduction or what-have-you. The ISBN changes and to Amazon, that's a new book.

I thought Shōgun went on sale just recently. I checked all my Kindle books and didn't have any by James Clavell, so I'm glad this was spotted.
You are correct sir. I think what happened here was that the publisher changed. It looks like Amazon acquired the rights. I do have two slightly different listings for Shogun under content, purchased nearly two years apart. My point here was to warn against depending on Amazon to warn of duplicate purchases. And yes, it is the same book regardless of cover or publisher.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
tch65721
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Any ebook can be returned within a week of purchase through the content and devices page, no need to contact CS. It's probably best not to pull that too often, but it's easy enough to undo a mistake (very helpful when a random touch has one-click purchased a book.)
Thanks. I doubt I would have found that on my own. I looked under "digital orders" but this particular book did not have a "return for refund" button... though some books did. How odd.