Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2023, 08:32 PM   #1
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Scribe vs Kobo Elipsa/Sage -- lighting

I bought a Scribe because it has better resolution than the Elipsa and also has the ability to adjust the color of the light, but I find that for reading in dark mode the Scribe's lighting is too meager, while for the Elipsa (and Sage), the light is much stronger and makes it much easier to read at night in dark mode than the Scribe. The Sage seems to have the same resolution (pixels per sq inch) as the Scribe, but like the Elipsa the light can be increased to make reading in dark mode comfortable. This, and the software for the Scribe, are disappointing (I much prefer Kobo). I do like the Scribe pencil more than the battery-powered one for the Elipsa/Sage, but I wonder why the lighting on the Scribe is not more powerful.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
I love my Scribe, but I did notice the black in dark mode is not nearly as black as it was on the Kobo Libra 2, which I used to have. Dark mode is definitely better, with the black darker, and the white text much brighter and better defined on the Kobo.

It seems there will never be one reader to rule them all, unfortunately - there is always a compromise somewhere.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2023, 12:04 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It seems there will never be one reader to rule them all, unfortunately - there is always a compromise somewhere.
Not unless it's able to change size!
I need all of:
1. 4″ to 5″: Most pockets
2. 6″ to 8″: Paperback book replacement. I prefer 8″.
3. 10″ to 15″: Needed for PDFs. I’d use a 13.5″ to 15″ instead of my 10.3″ Elipsa if it was 220dpi to 300 dpi.
4. Also Android eink vs dedicated. Less good as an ereader but able to have Library apps (Both Borrowbox & Libby needed here for full catalogue; split between books & audio on one and comics/magazines/News on the other!), Kobo, Amazon, Google etc Reader apps too. Also real email etc.
I have all four of those categories and a choice in several. Also as we make ebooks we need at least two kinds of Kindle, Kobo, other epub, apps and various sizes screen. I should really get an iPhone and iPad (the iPhone 4S was already too old to install any ereaders or Apple Books when I was given it) for testing too.

I’d considered the Kindle Scribe as a slight upgrade from Elipsa to proof PDFs for POD, but it has far too many disadvantages. I never got Sony DPT 10″ or 13″ approx size models mainly due to walled garden (Kindle Scribe worse because you never had to send PDFs to Internet) and partly low resolution. So I'll wait for a 300 dpi 10″ plus size from Kobo. I'd like bigger than 12″ and more than 250 dpi to read old magazines.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I love my Scribe, but I did notice the black in dark mode is not nearly as black as it was on the Kobo Libra 2, which I used to have. Dark mode is definitely better, with the black darker, and the white text much brighter and better defined on the Kobo.

The Oasis (2 and 3) are the same. They are practically unusable in dark mode in a dark room. If you use warm light in Oasis 3 it is even worse compared to normal mode with black text. To me it is more pleasant to use an OLED screen in white (or any other color) text and black background than the horrid mode on Kindle, but that is still not as good as regular mode on Kindle with a little warm setting (I use about 12 light, 8 warm setting all the time on my Oasis 3 - never change it).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I just compared the Scribe and Elipsa again. In daylight mode, the maximum illumination seems about the same, but for some reason in dark mode the Elipsa is much brighter. It may have something to do with how dark mode is implemented on the two readers. It would be nice if a software fix would help the Scribe, but I doubt that Amazon would implement it, especially given the fact that the same problem apparently exists on the Oasis.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 02:25 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The Oasis (2 and 3) are the same. They are practically unusable in dark mode in a dark room. If you use warm light in Oasis 3 it is even worse compared to normal mode with black text. To me it is more pleasant to use an OLED screen in white (or any other color) text and black background than the horrid mode on Kindle, but that is still not as good as regular mode on Kindle with a little warm setting (I use about 12 light, 8 warm setting all the time on my Oasis 3 - never change it).
I prefer Dark mode when in a dark room. I have not found warm light at all useful, and keep it at zero. But in any case, it's not nearly as comfortable as OLED or even LED with Dark theme. There's just not enough contrast.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I prefer Dark mode when in a dark room. I have not found warm light at all useful, and keep it at zero. But in any case, it's not nearly as comfortable as OLED or even LED with Dark theme. There's just not enough contrast.
Do you mean LCD with Dark theme?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dark theme/style was originally on mono CRTs because it gave sharper text and lower power. It went out of fashion with colour CRTs and GUI based OS.

It was resurrected for OLED, where it gives big power savings and sometimes sharper text.

It's ill-suited to LCD (needs more back-light power) and worst of all on eink, where there is zero power saving due to front light.

Also ideally you need different font hinting on dark mode, eink usually hasn't got it. It's partly fashion and encouraged by brightness being set too high on LCD backlight or eink front light.

I have the luxury of hardly ever using the front light, unless I'm out somewhere dim. I have a nice angle poise reading lamp to suit paperbacks.

But in the last years of his life my dad liked the PW3 front light for reading under the quilt.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:15 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you mean LCD with Dark theme?
LED backlight.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:02 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With eInk, when you have dark mode on, you need more front light to be able to read in the dark. So really, dark mode does use more power then normal mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Portable LCDs have used LED backlights since about 2003. The first colour Nokia Communicator (LCD) actually used miniature CCFLs!
Old 02-16-2023, 05:06 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With eInk, when you have dark mode on, you need more front light to be able to read in the dark. So really, dark mode does use more power then normal mode.
Yes. Dark mode only saves power for OLED. I mentioned that eInk and LCD need more light for dark mode.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:09 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
LED backlight.
So you are on board with television manufacturer misleading nomenclature?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:20 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is not my experience (I have brightness set less than for non dark mode, and auto brightness does whatever it does), and I don't care about power usage at all.