Man over 45 71 38.59%
Non-binary 45 and under 0 0%
Non-binary over 45 0 0%
The blue one, next to the fish 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #121
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
For some reason, everyone in my family except me loves opera, even though they each discovered it independently. I used to continually ask how they could understand what is going on in the operas, since no one spoke Italian. I found their answers unsatisfactory, like "you just understand." I was truly puzzled.

Then my hearing got bad, and TV dialogue became guesswork. I am no longer puzzled.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #122
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I leave the closed-captioning on permanently, too. I stil hear "fairly" well; I just hate having to back up to catch (or downright miss) the occasional plot-relevant mumble.
I need CC even though my hearing is fine. Between over an busy sound mix and emphasis on natural acting over clear pronunciation, contemporary TV and movies to me often have difficult to hear dialogue.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #123
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I need CC even though my hearing is fine. Between over an busy sound mix and emphasis on natural acting over clear pronunciation, contemporary TV and movies to me often have difficult to hear dialogue.
With a surround sound, the dialog is slightly easier to hear. But you have to custom set the speakers.
And yes I am talking the cheap one from Walmart.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #124
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
You are absolutely correct! Watch a '40s movie, something like Casablanca, and you will little difficulty understanding the dialog. I have trouble hearing, use subtitles and wireless headset and must read my way through modern films. Harrison Ford (a fine actor) mumbles his way through most of his films.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #125
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I watch a fair amount of UK shows.
CC is necessary as a translator.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #126
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
You are absolutely correct! Watch a '40s movie, something like Casablanca, and you will little difficulty understanding the dialog. I have trouble hearing, use subtitles and wireless headset and must read my way through modern films. Harrison Ford (a fine actor) mumbles his way through most of his films.
Do you mean to tell me that Superbowl 48 wasn't held in the Mid-life stadium?

Sometimes the mishears can be amusing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote