Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Kindle 3 screen-is this for replacement?

Hi,
this (see photos) is the way my screen looks now. The reader works, but the top third or so is somewhat frozen. I've tried all the resets advised on the net. Anybody saw something like this before, pls? Is this ready for screen replacement or does it look like something else?
Many thanks in advance for any kind help!
Best regards,
p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_185242 Ph.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	169466   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_185803 Ph.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	169467   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_185811 Ph.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	169468  
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Looks like a cracked screen to me, and to be honest, it might not be worth fixing, the kindle 3 is ancient and it might just be easier to get a newer model.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply. There isn't any visible crack. I can run my finger across it w/o feeling anything.
I am already getting a new e-reader, but I was thinking about reviving this one and give it away functional to someone I care about or keep it as a backup.
I am just not sure if it is only the screen that needs replacing. After all, the new screen will cost some money. The battery is not great, but is okay.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll let someone more qualified than me say the likelihood that a screen replacement would fix it (I think it would?)

And the crack's inside the screen, not at the surface.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
pavelh
Zealot

>And the crack's inside the screen, not at the surface.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thank you! I am gonna research it a bit.
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I'd also look at sites like ebay just to see how cheaply the kindle 3 can be had. You're probably going to pay more for a screen than you would for a used kindle 3 3g.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have replaced screens in a few Kindle 3s. This is a damaged screen. They are easy and cheap to replace. Make sure you get the right screen, as there are a couple of versions. You can read what yours is off of its connecting cable.
I love my Kindle 3S! The only Kindles that still have open browsers. I can check my email on mine via free 3G when I'm out of the city.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #8
pavelh
Zealot

cracked screen confirmed

Hi!
I took the Kindle apart and I would like to confirm @binaryhermit opinion that the screen was broken. Here is a photo, hope it helps someone :-)
Best regards,
PH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210819_123019_1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	188844