Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
My Man Jeeves (1919) — Four stories in a book of eight, all four reprinted in Carry on, Jeeves.
Thanks. Was really looking for a "back-o-the-book" blurb about the story.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-24-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I'll second Three Men in A Boat and Augusts Carp. I have read and enjoyed both of them.

I would like to nominate The Silence of Colonel Bramble. (http://manybooks.net/titles/mauroisa...l_bramble.html) Andre Maurois served as a liaison officer with a British regiment during WWI and wrote this book based on his experiences.
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
I'd like to second I am america an so can you By Stephen Colbert.

Truly an amusing book.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I'll second Three Men in A Boat and Augusts Carp. I have read and enjoyed both of them.

I would like to nominate The Silence of Colonel Bramble. (http://manybooks.net/titles/mauroisa...l_bramble.html) Andre Maurois served as a liaison officer with a British regiment during WWI and wrote this book based on his experiences.

I'd like to second "The Silence of Colonel Bramble" - never heard of it before, but it sounds intriguing.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks. Was really looking for a "back-o-the-book" blurb about the story.

BOb
From DailyLit :
Quote:
Description
In this 1919 short story collection, P.G. Wodehouse’s beloved star characters, the very silly Bertie Wooster and his unflappable valet Jeeves, must face the perils of pushy relatives, swooning debutantes, and the hare-brained schemes of well-meaning friends.

This collection also features the fictional hi-jinks of another favorite Wodehouse character, the hapless Reggie Pepper, whose piles of money never seem to make up for his utter lack of intelligence. Wodehouse will keep every reader giggling at the wild adventures in which Reggie manages to find himself and the ridiculous dilemmas from which the lucky Bertie is rescued, without fail, by the ingenious Jeeves.
And : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves

Have it on my TBR list, since april...
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I nominate ,"A Confederacy of Dunces" is a novel written by John Kennedy Toole, published in 1980, 11 years after the author's suicide. The book was published through the efforts of writer Walker Percy (who also contributed a revealing foreword) and Toole's mother Thelma Toole, quickly becoming a cult classic, and later a mainstream success. Toole posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It is an important part of the 'modern canon' of Southern literature.

The story is set in New Orleans in the early 1960s. The central character is Ignatius J. (Jacques) Reilly, an educated but slothful man still living with his mother at age 30 in the city's Uptown neighborhood, who, because of family circumstances, must set out to get a job. In his quest for employment he has various adventures with colorful French Quarter characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

nevermind can't find it in ebook format anymore

Last edited by Fathermole; 06-25-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'll third Three Men in a Boat.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
All of the nominated books sound good to me. I'm in favor of a humorous (comedic?) book rather than something serious. And, something that's available in the MR library or other free download would be preferable to having to buy something -- well unless it's less than $1 and won't require format-shifting. I downloaded Thorne Smith's Night Life of the Gods a couple of months ago and intended to read it, but I'm up for a re-read of Topper if that's what the group decides.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All of the nominated books sound good to me. I'm in favor of a humorous (comedic?) book rather than something serious.
considering that July is for a humor book, I assume everything being nominated falls into that category. Are you saying that there are humor books that are serious?

BOb
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermole View Post
I nominate ,"A Confederacy of Dunces" is a novel written by John Kennedy Toole, published in 1980, 11 years after the author's suicide. The book was published through the efforts of writer Walker Percy (who also contributed a revealing foreword) and Toole's mother Thelma Toole, quickly becoming a cult classic, and later a mainstream success. Toole posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It is an important part of the 'modern canon' of Southern literature.

The story is set in New Orleans in the early 1960s. The central character is Ignatius J. (Jacques) Reilly, an educated but slothful man still living with his mother at age 30 in the city's Uptown neighborhood, who, because of family circumstances, must set out to get a job. In his quest for employment he has various adventures with colorful French Quarter characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

nevermind can't find it in ebook format anymore

I completely agree with your assessment of this book: It's an important novel and has relevance to the Southern Gothic tradition in liteature. I would also like to see Barry Hannah's catalog made available.

I'll PM you about another issue regarding contemporary modern literary fiction (in addition to postmodernist fiction), and the limited "understanding" of websites that have a fan-base catering mainly to genre fiction and the growing ebook industry. In fact, there have been reports that genre fiction is the main driving force of the ebook market. This is a matter for serious discussion and contemplation among a select few. However, my feeling is that once the ebook industry really takes off, that ebooks and the level of discussion (in general) will improve drastically as contemporary literary fiction is anyalzed, critiqued, and enjoyed.

Cheers,
Don
Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
considering that July is for a humor book, I assume everything being nominated falls into that category. Are you saying that there are humor books that are serious?

BOb

Yes.

In my opinion, the best books of humor are those that elevate the Human Condition to one of laughter and reveal to us those elements that allow us to see connections with other people - loveliness, beauty, horror, and humor. (I'm making a distinction - as I hope you realize - between this kind of humor and the silly/stupid humor that I've been posting and which is available in other places.)

Don
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Come on people? Are we really going to poll with only three?

BOb
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'll third "Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man" by Henry Bashford. it's been on my list for some time now, this seems like a good occasion to move it to the top.

(that brings the count up to 4 !!)
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #29
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
All of the nominated books sound good to me. I'm in favor of a humorous (comedic?) book rather than something serious.
Quote:
Ummm... to be perfectly honest, I missed the part in your original post which said July's topic was to be humor. I think the one I reacted to as serious was A Confederacy of Dunces and its billing as "an important part of the 'modern canon' of Southern literature".

And, to give us a bit more to choose from, I'll second (or third) Life With Father.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'll third "Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man" by Henry Bashford. it's been on my list for some time now, this seems like a good occasion to move it to the top.

(that brings the count up to 4 !!)
Thanks... you're a doll... a psock doll... but none the less.

Any one else we have seconds for:

I am America an So Can You By Stephen Colbert.
The Silence of Colonel Bramble
Life With Father

...waiting for thirds.

BOb
Closed Thread