Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
timepiece
timepiece began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2019
covers appearing inverted in device (in dark mode)

I've recently been working on a project to provide cover art to all of my downloaded fanfiction. I have noticed that on my Oasis, which I always have in dark mode, several of the covers always appear inverted in the grid display in the library.

The covers in question are all very dark - probably at least 80% black, if not 90%. They all appear normally in day mode. At least one is from a traditionally published book. They all appear correctly in the little thumbnail at the bottom of the library display. Some of them also will not show up when the device is off, even though I have that enabled (but 10 of 16 will. Five correctly, five still inverted).

Some of them I'm willing to replace, but some I'm very attached to as-is. Anyone have any clue how to force them to appear normally (besides switching to day mode)? These are all non-DRM files I can edit at will. I use the Calibre editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2022_02_05T09_19_59-0500.png
Views:	205
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	192127  

Last edited by timepiece; 02-05-2022 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix image size
timepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timepiece View Post
I've recently been working on a project to provide cover art to all of my downloaded fanfiction. I have noticed that on my Oasis, which I always have in dark mode, several of the covers always appear inverted in the grid display in the library.

The covers in question are all very dark - probably at least 80% black, if not 90%. They all appear normally in day mode. At least one is from a traditionally published book. They all appear correctly in the little thumbnail at the bottom of the library display. Some of them also will not show up when the device is off, even though I have that enabled (but 10 of 16 will. Five correctly, five still inverted).

Some of them I'm willing to replace, but some I'm very attached to as-is. Anyone have any clue how to force them to appear normally (besides switching to day mode)? These are all non-DRM files I can edit at will. I use the Calibre editor.
How did you add the covers? What format eBook did you upload?

Honestly, this is most likely the wrong forum for this--this subforum is about the making and building of Kindle eBooks, whereas the Calibre subforum or the Kindle reading/using subforum might have better answers, but...the gang here can try.

Pretty simply, my take on it is that the device is simply reading the b/w on the cover and inverting it BECAUSE it's in Night mode. Now that being said, I would have thought that the metadata would have prevented the device from doing that--how, again, did you add the covers, exactly? You say you're using Calibre's editor, but Calibre doesn't have a MOBI or AZK/AZW3 editor; it has an ePUB editor. So...how'd you make these and how did you add them?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
timepiece
timepiece began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
How did you add the covers? What format eBook did you upload?

Honestly, this is most likely the wrong forum for this--this subforum is about the making and building of Kindle eBooks, whereas the Calibre subforum or the Kindle reading/using subforum might have better answers, but...the gang here can try.

Pretty simply, my take on it is that the device is simply reading the b/w on the cover and inverting it BECAUSE it's in Night mode. Now that being said, I would have thought that the metadata would have prevented the device from doing that--how, again, did you add the covers, exactly? You say you're using Calibre's editor, but Calibre doesn't have a MOBI or AZK/AZW3 editor; it has an ePUB editor. So...how'd you make these and how did you add them?

Hitch
Calibre does have an AZW3 editor, which is what I'm using. And they're all AZW3, which is why I chose this board.

I can't say for certain this is not a Calibre problem, as I haven't used any other software, but it's certainly a Kindle-specific problem. And probably format-specific, since I don't think it's happened with any Mobi files. I don't have any of those that are mostly black though.

Since I did edit the files to add all the covers myself this seemed like the most appropriate board.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
timepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:54 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepiece View Post
Calibre does have an AZW3 editor, which is what I'm using. And they're all AZW3, which is why I chose this board.

I can't say for certain this is not a Calibre problem, as I haven't used any other software, but it's certainly a Kindle-specific problem. And probably format-specific, since I don't think it's happened with any Mobi files. I don't have any of those that are mostly black though.

Since I did edit the files to add all the covers myself this seemed like the most appropriate board.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Okay, let's try this again, then.

How, exactly, did you build the files and how/where did you add the covers? Did you add those via Calibre's CONVERSION program or this AZW3 editor that you're talking about? This AZW3 editing program is something different than the "conversion" engine, is that right?

(Pro tip: honestly, it's easier to work in ePUB and then do a final MOBI conversion and sideload that to a device, but hey, you do you.)

Can you tell me, please, how you added the cover to the file, precisely? I'm asking because it matters--if you added it like an image, it'll reverse. If you added it like a cover, it shouldn't.

Hitch
Old 02-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Dark covers do not work well when inverted.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-08-2022 at 09:37 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like dark mode those not invert graphics and/ or covers.
To me, it looks as though Dark mode did, AS IF it were an embedded image, rather than a cover.

Hitch