Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2022, 02:42 AM   #1
swimon126
Enthusiast
swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Smile Kobo libra 2 vs Kindle Oasis 3

So I had the Libra 2 for a week now and although I'm really happy with the screen, buttons and other nice features Kobo offers - the device just feels really heavy to me, especially to hold in one hand (note: I'm coming from the Paperwhite 4). The weight distribution feels like it's more in the center than it is on the side grip. I read a lot lying down and Libra 2 tires out my wrist pretty quickly compared to the Paperwhite 4.

I was considering just getting the Libra H2O, but it's really difficult to find one (even on ebay), so I've been looking at the Oasis 3 because it's much lighter (188 g vs Libra 2 at 215 g). I know it has the micro USB and in general a bit outdated, but it's not a big deal to me. Also for info, where I live I could get the Oasis 3 a bit cheaper than the Libra 2 right now. Also the Kobo vs Amazon ecosystem doesn't make much difference to me in my country either.

My question (for those who have both devices), how does the screen on the Libra 2 and the Oasis 3 compare next to each other? Are they very different in terms of contrast, clarity, color temperature? Would be even better if anyone has a screenshot comparing them together. Thanks!

Last edited by swimon126; 02-13-2022 at 02:46 AM.
swimon126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:49 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Libra 2 has noticeably better contrast, sharper and blacker text. I like its frontlight better too, although the Oasis 3 frontlight isn't bad at all. Where the Oasis clearly wins is speed - it's quite a lot faster thanks to a newer and better processor.

As to the Libra H2O, it has worse contrast than both the Libra 2 and the Oasis.

A note: the Oasis 3 will be 3 years old by summer. It's pretty likely Amazon will release a new Oasis this year. Of course it's only a guess.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-13-2022 at 03:53 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Libra 2 has noticeably better contrast, sharper and blacker text. I like its frontlight better too, although the Oasis 3 frontlight isn't bad at all. Where the Oasis clearly wins is speed - it's quite a lot faster thanks to a newer and better processor.

A note: the Oasis 3 will be 3 years old by summer. It's pretty likely Amazon will release a new Oasis this year. Of course it's only a guess.
I'm surprised by the speed difference -- isn't the Libra 2 a new model as of last fall?
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
I'm surprised by the speed difference -- isn't the Libra 2 a new model as of last fall?
Yes, but it has the same old processor several previous Kobo models had. The Sage has a newer processor.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Yes, but it has the same old processor several previous Kobo models had. The Sage has a newer processor.
Oh,OK that makes sense. Thanks! Not to hijack the thread but it looks like the OP's question has been answered -- is the Sage significantly faster than the Libra 2?
Advert
Old 02-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh,OK that makes sense. Thanks! Not to hijack the thread but it looks like the OP's question has been answered -- is the Sage significantly faster than the Libra 2?
It's somewhat faster, yes, but whether significantly or not, that's hard to decide.

Anyway, the OP wouldn't want the Sage if they found the Libra 2 too heavy. The Sage is heavier than the Libra 2.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:28 AM   #7
swimon126
Enthusiast
swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:

Thanks for the input! That's good to hear the Oasis's front light could still compete with the Libra 2.

Yes, I'm aware the Oasis could get an update this year, but it will probably be much more expensive than the price I'm getting now for the Oasis 3 so I could live without the latest and greatest. (unless they decide to get rid of the metal backing and replace it plastic/rubbery texture instead - the metal backing is such a strange choice for an Ereader).
Old 02-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimon126 View Post
...unless they decide to get rid of the metal backing and replace it plastic/rubbery texture instead - the metal backing is such a strange choice for an Ereader.
I'd swear the metal backing is only there to make reviewers gush.

Quote:
The Oasis’ chassis is aluminum and feels like a more premium device.
Quote:
The sides and back are a single piece of aluminum, giving this a premium device feel.
Quote:
The back of the new Kindle Oasis is aluminum, which gives it a premium look and feel.
Quote:
Also new to this Kindle Oasis model is an aluminum back, which should give it a more premium feel...
Quote:
The Oasis has a premium feel, the screen is made of glass and it has an aluminum body.
It's the iPad effect.

My 2015 Glowlight Plus also has an aluminum body and it felt premium for the ten minutes I handled it before slapping it in a case After that the Nook and my Kobo feel surprisingly similar.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #9
tm3
Groupie

I'll toss this into the mix -- I had an Oasis, but ended up returning it. Mine had very poor battery life (something that I have seen reported by other owners, but also not reported by some Oasis owners), and an unevenly lit screen -- one side of the screen was brighter than the other, which bothered me.

I also tried the new Paperwhite. While it presented a problem (unique to my situation) re my computer and Calibre, its performance was (to me) much improved over the older PW and I really liked the larger screen with the amber lighting. So if weight is a concern, I would opt for the new PW over the Oasis.

Also, if you like to read lying down (like me) you may want to try one of the "easel" style cases (I think Fintie on Amazon is one brand). I found one that worked really well and I like having the device sit on my chest hands free.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
So I had the Libra 2 for a week now and although I'm really happy with the screen, buttons and other nice features Kobo offers - the device just feels really heavy to me, especially to hold in one hand (note: I'm coming from the Paperwhite 4). The weight distribution feels like it's more in the center than it is on the side grip. I read a lot lying down and Libra 2 tires out my wrist pretty quickly compared to the Paperwhite 4.

I was considering just getting the Libra H2O, but it's really difficult to find one (even on ebay), so I've been looking at the Oasis 3 because it's much lighter (188 g vs Libra 2 at 215 g). I know it has the micro USB and in general a bit outdated, but it's not a big deal to me. Also for info, where I live I could get the Oasis 3 a bit cheaper than the Libra 2 right now. Also the Kobo vs Amazon ecosystem doesn't make much difference to me in my country either.

My question (for those who have both devices), how does the screen on the Libra 2 and the Oasis 3 compare next to each other? Are they very different in terms of contrast, clarity, color temperature? Would be even better if anyone has a screenshot comparing them together. Thanks!
I just sold my Libra H2O, it’s a shame we missed each other.

I have the Oasis 3, and I also had the Libra 2 alongside it for a while.

I love them both, but ultimately returned the Libra 2 as I couldn’t justify having two premium devices. My Oasis screen is absolutely gorgeous, just perfect. My Libra 2 screen was great as well, but I find the Oasis's screen extremely attractive to read from.

The battery life is, and always has been, a big problem. I am resigned now to charging it every day or every other day (I read voraciously). It’s not so bad once you drop the expectation it is going to last 'weeks'.

I love the text layout on the kobo, and being able to see page x of xx on the pages without having to press the screen multiple times, but, aside from that, I am very happy with my Oasis.

Oh, the aluminum chassis is a pain, always too hot, cold or slippery, and when I read outside it gets scalding hot. But that can be resolved by using a case or reading in the shade.

They are both great e-readers. The Oasis does not feel like an outdated device, by the way.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I hate the metal back as well and keep my Oasis in a coverless shell. In my country the back feels icy cold most of the time.

The screen of my Oasis 3 is perfectly even and the warm light is nice, but I prefer my new Kobos for reading, as the text is just sharper and blacker. The Oasis screen no longer feels attractive to me.

I have never had any complaints about battery life, but then I don't usually read for more than 2 hours a day. The Sage has worse battery life than the Oasis.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #12
swimon126
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My 2015 Glowlight Plus also has an aluminum body and it felt premium for the ten minutes I handled it before slapping it in a case After that the Nook and my Kobo feel surprisingly similar.
Yup, this basically applies to most electronic devices with aluminum surface material to be honest, especially phones. Whoever uses a phone without a case is a new kind of daredevil. I'd take a smartphone with plastic or rubber/textured surface backing (over a glass/metal body) any day.

If I decide for the Oasis 3, I plan on getting some kind of skin/decal with rubbery texture.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #13
swimon126
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll toss this into the mix -- I had an Oasis, but ended up returning it. Mine had very poor battery life (something that I have seen reported by other owners, but also not reported by some Oasis owners), and an unevenly lit screen -- one side of the screen was brighter than the other, which bothered me.
I heard of this issue and am generally curious how bad. I read around 30 mins a day, sometimes an hour, but not more. Sometimes there might be a day I didn't have time to read. If I have to charge every other day, then this might be a dealbreaker.

Quote:
So if weight is a concern, I would opt for the new PW over the Oasis.
Weight is part of the concern, yes. But I'm exclusively looking for an Ereader with an assymmetric design as I would like to be able to read with one hand comfortably for long periods of time.

Quote:
Also, if you like to read lying down (like me) you may want to try one of the "easel" style cases (I think Fintie on Amazon is one brand).
I already own a kind of stand, so for sure that's an option when I'd like to read handsfree. The main reason I'm considering an Oasis at all is it's the only Ereader that's lightweight AND has an assymmetric design (plus a great screen). I would definitely keep the Libra 2 if only it has around the same weight as PW4 OR have a better weight distribution (like the Forma).

I wish they kept the design of the Forma for the Libra 2.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
swimon126
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I love them both, but ultimately returned the Libra 2 as I couldn’t justify having two premium devices. ... My Libra 2 screen was great as well, but I find the Oasis's screen extremely attractive to read from.
So your main reason for returning the Libra 2 is because you find the Oasis screen better to read from? I'm genuinely surprised! I thought, the Libra 2 takes the cake when it comes to a stunning screen on the current Ereader market.

Quote:
The battery life is, and always has been, a big problem. I am resigned now to charging it every day or every other day (I read voraciously). It’s not so bad once you drop the expectation it is going to last 'weeks'.
How often would you define "voraciously"? At least 2-3 hours daily? I read around 30 mins a day, max an hour, so hopefully the battery won't be as bad in my case.

Quote:
I love the text layout on the kobo, and being able to see page x of xx on the pages without having to press the screen multiple times...
I wonder if I'm the only who actually prefers having zero information about page numbers/percentage/chapter while reading. Zero distraction. Just me and the story

Quote:
Oh, the aluminum chassis is a pain, always too hot, cold or slippery, and when I read outside it gets scalding hot. But that can be resolved by using a case or reading in the shade.
I plan on slapping a skin/decal on it to solve this problem
Old 02-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I wonder if I'm the only who actually prefers having zero information about page numbers/percentage/chapter while reading. Zero distraction. Just me and the story
On my Nooks and Kobo you can turn that info off (though the Nook always keeps a header with the book title).

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon also lets you turn that stuff off.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote