Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 05:36 PM   #91
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Nothing further from the truth. It was a real success, everyone wanted them. I guess you're from USA where majority of people love horribly unusable iPhone. Up to you, and your opinion.

By the way, my Lumia even received update to Windows 10 I don't use it as a daily driver because it doesn't have fast internet, not even LTE. There is a refreshed hardware, Microsoft Surface Duo, but it's bulky and impractical. I don't like foldable phones. Besides, Microsoft had killed it's mobile market, and nobody is going to invest again in developing apps for it.
This is nothing to do with TCL nxtpaper11.

Nokia off loaded their phone division to MS, which (Nokia) had started going off the rails in 2003 with abandoning S80 for the poorer S60. They sold it because the switch to Windows Phone and MS messing around on changed from Win mobile 6.5, to 7 and disaster of Win 8 meant that Windows phone was doomed. Nokia still exists (the Nokia badge is licensed to TCL) doing Infrastructure. MS destroyed Windows phone trying to converge things that couldn't be.
Final nail in the coffin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...dows_10_Mobile
Quote:
Windows 10 Mobile emphasized software using the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), which allowed apps to be designed for use across multiple Windows 10-based product families with nearly identical code, functionality, and adaptations for available input methods.[59][60][61] When connected to an external display, devices could also render a stripped-down desktop interface similar to Windows on PCs, with support for keyboard and mouse input.[62][63] Windows 10 Mobile featured Skype message integration, updated Office Mobile apps, notification syncing with other Windows 10 devices, support for the Microsoft Edge web browser, and other user interface improvements.[53][64][65] Microsoft developed a middleware known as Windows Bridge to allow iOS Objective-C and Android C++ or Java software to be ported to run on Windows 10 Mobile with limited changes to code.[66][67][68]

With the diminishing interest and application development for the platform, Microsoft discontinued active development of Windows 10 Mobile in 2017,[19] and the platform was declared end of life on January 14, 2020.

And, no, I'm not a fan of iOS/Apple or Android. But Windows Phone by 2014 was rubbish and with Windows 10 Mobile in 2015 they destroyed it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile
Note Alcatel was one of few Win10 phones. Alcatel phones since the start have been TCL.
Quote:
After many user complaints, Microsoft started allowing users to downgrade from Windows 10 Mobile to Windows Phone 8.1
and the money:
Quote:
According to Microsoft's 2016 fiscal year,[100] the revenue from the company's smartphone division was $3,358 million, a 44% loss when compared to $7,702 million in 2015.
It wasn't sustainable. No-one wanted it. It was rubbish.

My best phone was my Nokia N9210i Communicator (S80, the last Nokia Symbian phones were the inferior S60). My old Sony Ericsson Z1 Android 4.1 finally lost Playstore access this year and it was the next decent phone.

Once MS had 50% in USA with Win CE phones and PDAs. They threw it away. They bought the Danger Sidekick and messed it up too.

Anyway, none of this is anything to do with TCL Nxtpaper11

Last edited by Quoth; 04-01-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:09 AM   #92
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Do you use the reading mode (the black and white mode)?

At first it made me laugh, but I've started using it for reading. I guess the difference is not pronounced at all when you're well-rested/not-tired but I've tried it once after a few hours of work with computer and it felt better. I still don't know if there's any science behind this, but now I prefer the B&W mode for reading. Somehow the color mode feels like 3D image, where the B&W makes it really flat easier to focus on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT:
As for the science part: There's definitely nothing special about the display. The "Reading mode" can be activated on any Android device via developer options "Simulate colour space: Monochromacy". In fact when I toggle the reading mode it affects the developer setting. One thing I'm curious about is that the dev setting is applied instantly whilst the reading mode has a long transition. It seems to be just a fancy effect to let you believe there's something unique happening.

Nonetheless I'm surprised but the Monochromatic mode feels better for reading.

Last edited by plusz; 04-09-2024 at 02:22 PM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:59 AM   #93
JohnCheese
JohnCheese began at the beginning.

Device: NXTPAPER 11
Does anyone know what upgrades (as far as display tech)we will get with NXTPAPER 3.0? From what it sounds like it’s only a brighter display and a higher resolution.
JohnCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:51 AM   #94
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This supposedly official case id more to stop damage to screen in transit and landscape use.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CS3MF8Q6/
In this case I think "Screen protector" may mean cover flap.
I got it, but I have mixed feelings. The tablet instantly feels heavy, it's 740g together. The case alone weights 280 g.

Without the case the tablet feels pleasantly light. I guess I'll look for some sort of silicone band which covers only the edges providing shock resistance upon accidental drop and makes it easier to grab off the table. That's all I need as I don't travel with it. For any occasional travel I can just put it into a generic neoprene pouch.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:30 PM   #95
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
I have the TCL 40 Nxtpaper and I really like the matte display which is much better than a reflective one. So I recently bought an used Nxtpaper 11 (advertised as "used, as new") for 126 Euro (including shipping costs), mainly to have a tablet on which I can watch a movie on a train ride without having all the reflections from the sunlight or the lights above the seats.
While the form factor isn't the best for watching old movies (usually these are in ~4:3 so there's some unused space on the right and left side), I do like the form factor for reading epub files. With KOreader I can use the volume butons for page turning, just like on the TCL 40 Nxtpaper (on the phone using the buttons makes more sence since one finger or thumb is near the buttons when holding the device). Or I can just scroll, since the screen has no ghosting like an e-ink display.

Right now I'm tempted to get the Lenovo Tab P12 Paper/Tab P12 with Matte Display, which offers a larger screen (12.7" with 2944 x 1840) and, of course, more weight (0.615 kg). It's available in (parts of) Europe: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Len..._Matte_Display
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:10 AM   #96
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
Right now I'm tempted to get the Lenovo Tab P12 Paper/Tab P12 with Matte Display, which offers a larger screen (12.7" with 2944 x 1840) and, of course, more weight (0.615 kg). It's available in (parts of) Europe: https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Len..._Matte_Display
The TCL Nxtpaper 14 is due soon.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:10 PM   #97
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The question is: will it ever see a release in Western Europe.
From what I've read so far it looks like the TCL Nxtpaper 14 Pro won't be available outside Asia. Not sure about the 14 (without Pro) either.
Besides the screen resolution on the Lenovo device is better (the TCL Pro has 2,880 x 1,800 px [2.8 k], but 120 Hz refresh rate, the 14 w/o Pro has a lower resolution of 2.4 k) and the stylus is included; the promo pics of the TCL devices look like one has to purchase a stylus separately.
12,7" is already quite large but I can still hold such a device in my hand(s), I'm not so sure about a 14" monster screen.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:46 PM   #98
plusz
Addict

That's a really great news. Lenovo Tab P12 has a nice keyboard. Yet I'd like to see some real reviews first before buying yet another device ;-)

Notebookcheck appeared in the search hit, but they only spared the rumors as of now.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....828055.0.html
Old 04-22-2024, 03:08 AM   #99
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
I have the TCL 40 Nxtpaper and I really like the matte display which is much better than a reflective one. So I recently bought an used Nxtpaper 11
TCL 40 Nxtpaper 5G is only available as pre-order in my country. I haven't found it elsewhere in EU. The 4G only version sells at 200 CHF, used "as new" are available for 160 CHF. I'm thinking of buying one to use as a pocket reader, but honestly, I'd prefer to buy a "daily driver" phone with mat screen. I hope that Lenovo starts making mat screen phones too. The Nxtpaper 11 tablet tends to freeze the whole OS indefinitely (hard shutdown required) in Microsoft Edge browser. I don't know if Google Chrome is more stable, as Edge is my favorite mobile reader, but no App should be able to freeze the whole system. It's certainly Firmware/Hardware bug of the tablet. Therefore I'm also skeptical about their phone quality. Whilst the occasional glitches don't bother me on the tablet, I would be upset if it was happening on my "daily driver" phone.

By the way, I found something interesting. It seems the screens are compatible between the glossy and matt versions:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TCL-40-Nx...dp/B0CWVD9XM2/

PS. Honestly the tablet doesn't freeze often, otherwise my opinion about the tablet would be different, but when it does it's 100% reproducible on the same page. I'm guessing that maybe the page is exceeding the amount of RAM, or maybe it's using some buggy graphics features which locks the GPU thus the whole UI.

Last edited by plusz; 04-22-2024 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:56 AM   #100
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I don't why anyone would install Edge on anything.

Firefox works OK on Win10, Linux and even Android 7 phone. It's working with no freeze on the TCL Nxtpaper11.

Edge is now simply an MS version of Chrome and has as much privacy with added bugs.

The issue is Edge. Delete it!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:06 AM   #101
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
TCL 40 Nxtpaper 5G is only available as pre-order in my country. I haven't found it elsewhere in EU.
I've never seen it offered.

Quote:
The Nxtpaper 11 tablet tends to freeze the whole OS indefinitely (hard shutdown required) in Microsoft Edge browser. I don't know if Google Chrome is more stable, as Edge is my favorite mobile reader, but no App should be able to freeze the whole system. It's certainly Firmware/Hardware bug of the tablet.
Rubbish. You can cause a problem on any OS with a bad program. Edge is a buggy MS copy of Chrome.

I've installed a wide variety old and not so old apps. No issues. Best tablet I've had ever. Never had to to restart it.

Quote:
By the way, I found something interesting. It seems the screens are compatible between the glossy and matt versions:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TCL-40-Nx...dp/B0CWVD9XM2/
No, pointless. ANYTHING put on top will degrade the screen.
I've never scratched a phone, PMP or PDA screen in over 25 years.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:34 AM   #102
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't why anyone would install Edge on anything.
So true!
Besides I wouldn't use Edge or any other browser as a "mobile reader", if that means reading ebooks (epubs, pdf etc). Librera and KOreader work flawless on any Android device I have, including the NxtPaper 11 and the NxtPaper phone.

I've installed quite a lot of apps on the TCL phone, except from taking quite a long time to start, I haven't noticed any oddities (I have another cheap phone with more RAM, which starts faster, despite having also installed quite a few apps).

As browser I use mainly Vivaldi (Snapshot, but installed also the regular one) without problems, but I've also installed EinkBro, Tor, Kiwi and Firefox Klar.

I would go for the TCL 40 Nxtpaper not the 5 G version, since the 4 G version has better hardware. or just wait for the new versions with the next NxtPaper version.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #103
plusz
Addict

I didn't mean to start flame wars about browsers in this thread. Microsoft gives awesome reading tools in Edge, the reading mode and read aloud, puls now the bing copilot. I use it for reading web content, it's the best browser for that task.

PS. If you believe a user mode process can trash the OS, I wonder what kind of OSes you're using, DOS Running applications, sharing hardware resources, and protecting the OS and other apps is the primary task of all modern operating systems, whether desktop or embedded. If an app causes system crash it means a serious bug in the system configuration, driver, or hardware itself. Normally misbehaving apps are simply terminated by the OS with no harm to the surrounding.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:03 PM   #104
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's likely it's just the GUI seems frozen. The Android GUI is a poor design.

MS Edge is garbage. A fork of Chrome designed for windows and badly ported to Android and Linux.

Copilot is Clippy 2.0 and needs nuked.

Android has a built in Accessibility system and speech synthesis.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:30 PM   #105
plusz
Addict

Quoth, you've already demonstrated more than once your hate towards MS products. It's up to you. I have no business convincing you, nor came here to discuss such topics. I know better places to talk about software and system internals, I do know quite a bit of that domain. Pardon but you're talking nonsense. You're proposing me mediocre alternative just because either you don't know the software you're bashing, or you don't like the company which made it. It's nonsense.

Last edited by plusz; 04-22-2024 at 03:33 PM.