Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
michael.c
michael.c has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle mini club / mini swap meet

Just putting it out there.... Would anybody be interested in an arrangement whereby 6 of us (Amazon's limit) register our kindles on one account and go sixths in ebooks?

There would be some kind of voting / preference mechanism to decide which books the group buys.

Obviously someone would have to register a debit card account which could be used for registration and for transferring the purchase money to.

We could also have several groups that register and deregister kindles depending on who has the book you want to read. Thus, a series of kindle mini-libraries could be created (all with empty debit accounts attached to each).

I would imagine both ideas would create problems with privacy and trust etc.

I recently bought John Howards "Lazarus Rising" (I am not actually a Liberal supporter), $20 divided by 6 (about $3.30) is reasonable.

Is anyone interested?
michael.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #32
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

I went to Jeff's Blog...he is now recommending AlwaysVPN which costs US$8.50 minimum. Has anyone used this for Amazon? Is it simple to use and did it work? Or has anyone found a simple free VPN they would recommend?

I'm determined to persevere. I don't want "them" to get the better of me.

Also, I can't seem to buy a Kindle book with a gift card. Even though I have applied one to my Amazon account, the only payment choice I get is Buy with 1-click, which only seems to accept credit cards.

Last edited by pietro99; 12-05-2010 at 08:47 PM.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #33
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I went to Jeff's Blog...he is now recommending AlwaysVPN which costs US$8.50 minimum. Has anyone used this for Amazon? Is it simple to use and did it work? Or has anyone found a simple free VPN they would recommend?

I'm determined to persevere. I don't want "them" to get the better of me.

Also, I can't seem to buy a Kindle book with a gift card. Even though I have applied one to my Amazon account, the only payment choice I get is Buy with 1-click, which only seems to accept credit cards.
I have never used the VPN. You probably need to change your settings within your Amazon account and dont select 1-click as the default payment method. Hotshield seems to work with B&N which is much tougher to trick than Amazon and it is free.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #34
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I have changed my reading habits. Several of my old favourite authors no longer get any money from me. I now get books from companies that want to sell to me and have found new favourite authors.

Ther are lots of alternatives out there and publishers and authors who are greedy deserve to go broke.
As I started to reading this thread the above is exactly what I decided I was going to say.

I have now bought over 200 ebooks and most of them are indie authors that I would otherwise never have heard of let alone read. And I saved heaps of money.

Stuff the 'name' publishing houses and authors; if they don't come into the 21st C market they lose my dough.

Yesterday I went to Borders AU website for the first time and saw Bryce Courtenay's latest offering priced at $29.95 for the ebook version. Best laugh I had all weekend.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #35
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I have never used the VPN. You probably need to change your settings within your Amazon account and dont select 1-click as the default payment method. Hotshield seems to work with B&N which is much tougher to trick than Amazon and it is free.
According to Manage my Kindle, 1-click is the only way to pay for a book. There is no option to use a gift card and the ebook doesn't appear in the shopping cart which would enable the use of the gift card. So I'm wondering how others have used the gift card method.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #36
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
According to Manage my Kindle, 1-click is the only way to pay for a book. There is no option to use a gift card and the ebook doesn't appear in the shopping cart which would enable the use of the gift card. So I'm wondering how others have used the gift card method.
When you use 1-Click it deducts from your gift card balance first automatically. If there's not enough there, it then charges your nominated 1-Click credit card also automatically.

The shopping cart is not used for ebook purchases.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #37
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoversAU View Post
When you use 1-Click it deducts from your gift card balance first automatically. If there's not enough there, it then charges your nominated 1-Click credit card also automatically.

The shopping cart is not used for ebook purchases.
I just discovered that. I took a chance on AlwaysVPN and bought 5GB (that should cover a few books!) and it installs and works easily.

And instead of getting the message I was in the wrong country and to contact customer service, the sale went straight through, and the money was taken from the gift card.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #38
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have used gift cards for ebooks!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #39
warney
warney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Hi Pushka & Luv!

Just a quick question, I have just received a gift of a Kindle 3G & loving it, however I now want to purchase some books from the UK! I have my Kindle registered to the US and touch wood, everything is still OK, how did you get it to register and have the "Holiday" in the UK?

Thanks for any help!
warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #40
uqbartlon
uqbartlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'm based in Singapore. Changing my registered address to a US address lets me see the US kindle titles and prices but still does not make it possible to order any kindle book from my undisguised Singapore IP address. (I even got an email from Amazon asking me to prove my US residency, which I ignored).

I signed up for Always VPN and everything went smoothly from then on.

Amazon only checks IP address at the point of ordering. Downloading books (after purchase) and surfing the Amazon site without VPN cause no problem at all.

I pay with a gift card. Perhaps it's not necessary to use one, and only the IP address matters, not the credit card country of origin, but it's so easy to buy a gift card anyway, so I did it just to play safe.
uqbartlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #41
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by warney View Post
Hi Pushka & Luv!

Just a quick question, I have just received a gift of a Kindle 3G & loving it, however I now want to purchase some books from the UK! I have my Kindle registered to the US and touch wood, everything is still OK, how did you get it to register and have the "Holiday" in the UK?

Thanks for any help!
I use my uncles address in the uk. A search on white pages.co.uk wil find several addresses I am sure. . Just log a uk address into manage your kindle settings, then go on to the uk store.

It is weird the way amazon send out the random "prove where you are" emails. When I was in the USA recently I made sure I downloaded a couple of books, and now I have a drop box in the USA and have had many purchases sent to that address which are then shipped on to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #42
liddlepiggy
liddlepiggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I use my uncles address in the uk. A search on white pages.co.uk wil find several addresses I am sure. . Just log a uk address into manage your kindle settings, then go on to the uk store.

It is weird the way amazon send out the random "prove where you are" emails. When I was in the USA recently I made sure I downloaded a couple of books, and now I have a drop box in the USA and have had many purchases sent to that address which are then shipped on to me.
Hi pushka, it's great that you're able to buy ebooks without using vpn. As some of us aren't as lucky, will Amazon stop us if we download books from the UK by simply just changing it to a UK address? Or is vpn still needed even when buying from the UK?
liddlepiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #43
pietro99
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddlepiggy View Post
Hi pushka, it's great that you're able to buy ebooks without using vpn. As some of us aren't as lucky, will Amazon stop us if we download books from the UK by simply just changing it to a UK address? Or is vpn still needed even when buying from the UK?
If you do need a VPN I have a feeling AlwaysVPN only works for the US...perhaps someone could confirm this.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #44
Pushka
Wizard

I do use a VPN if I want a B&N book but I think they only redirect to the USA.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #45
liddlepiggy
liddlepiggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, I've got a feeling alwaysVPN only gives u US IP (reading from their site).

Does anyone know of a VPN that gives you UK IP address? One that they have used on Amazon with no problems?
liddlepiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, australian content