Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Jim T
Jim T began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using Kindle Wifi in Canada?

I am looking for someone with experience using the Kindle Wifi in Canada.

I understand that Canadians cannot use the Amazon email service to send documents to their device. However, can you add PDF files directly via USB? If so, will it reflow the PDF or is that only a function of the conversion service? What other formats can you add without having access to the email service?

Sorry to be so finicky, but my main useage for a reader will be PDF files and I want to make sure to pick the best one. I am wavering between the Kindle Wifi, Kobo, and Aluratek Libre Pro. I'd really appreciate some input on the Kindle (my first choice).

Jim
Jim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

I'd go straight to a netbook, laptop, or iPad if PDFs was my thing. I love my Kindle 3 but it's the pits for PDFs and/or comics (basically, ZIPs or RARs of JPEGs). It's just too slow.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You can still use the email conversion service. It just picks up the files next time you connect via WiFi or you manually load them in over USB as they'll also email you a link to download the converted file.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Jim T

I actually called Amazon and they confirmed that Canadian customers cannot access the email conversion service. Unless you have actually done it, and they are not telling me the truth?

Note: I don't mean a US customer that is just in Canada for a while then going home, but rather a customer living in Canada.

Jim
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T View Post
... my main useage for a reader will be PDF files and I want to make sure to pick the best one. I am wavering between the Kindle Wifi, Kobo, and Aluratek Libre Pro.
Can you clarify why and how you will be consuming PDF's? I have a Kindle 2 and an iPad. Specifically, I purchased the iPad for PDFs and for my purposes its much better. Of course its also much more expensive. However, I can give you much better feedback if you explain the type of PDFs you will read.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Jim T

I have many books already in PDF format (novels, mostly). I also download magazines in PDF format. They are complex layouts and don't convert well at all. I don't want to spend hours converting them and I can't get them in any other format. Thus the problem. Also, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just for reading PDFs. If I can get an acceptable reader in the lower price range, I would be happy.

My brother-in-law has the Libre Pro and does the same kind of reading as me. He finds it good. I like some of the Kindle's features better, but then, I haven't tried it.

much to learn ......

Jim
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
I actually called Amazon and they confirmed that Canadian customers cannot access the email conversion service. Unless you have actually done it, and they are not telling me the truth?
I can't find any mention of any restrictions especially Canada not working on the conversion service at all on amazon.co.uk, amazon.com or amazon.ca which just tells you to go to amazon.com

Quote:
Note: I don't mean a US customer that is just in Canada for a while then going home, but rather a customer living in Canada.
I only tried it with a Kindle that was registered to a UK account whilst I was in Toronto but I would have expected people to have complained about this by now. There are quite a few Canadian users on this forum alone.

There isn't any technical reason as to why they wouldn't be able to offer the conversion service especially for WiFi Kindles. I've not heard of any legal reason as to why they can't offer it either.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Jim T

Ok, this is going to be lengthy (just like searching Amazon's site!). Notice the parts in bold:

On Amazon:

Search, Annotations, Dictionary, and Wikipedia

Search
Kindle's keyboard makes it easy to search within an ebook, across your library, in the Kindle Store, or even the Web. To use the Search feature, simply type in a word or phrase you're looking for, and Kindle finds every instance in your ebook or across your Kindle library. Looking for the first reference of a character in your ebook? Simply type in the name and search. You can extend your search to the Kindle Store to find related titles you may be interested in. Explore even further by searching Wikipedia and the Web. Web access is not currently available for some customers outside the U.S. Check Your Country

<I click on Check Your Country>

We are excited to now ship Kindle to Canada. Customers in Canada will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute. Shop for and download titles over a Wi-Fi connection.
Learn more about Kindle features on the Kindle product page

Important Product Information for Your Country

* Your international shipment is subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country. We will show you these fees upon checkout. Learn more
* You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Wireless delivery of personal documents is currently not available. Learn more

<I click on learn more to assure myself of what it is that Canadians can't have>

Sending Personal Documents to Kindle

Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address you can set on your Manage Your Kindle page. You can send unprotected Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files to your Kindle e-mail address.

To access your personal documents on your Kindle, send attachments to your Kindle's e-mail address ("name"@free.kindle.com). The files will be sent to your Kindle via the Wi-Fi connection and also to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge.

<end of quotes>

Thus it is fairly clear that Canadians can't access that service. And they told me that on the phone too. She said "I don't like to say 'never' ..."

So I am back to my original request .... (oh heck, please just read the first post in this thread again! )

Jim
Old 11-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Thus it is fairly clear that Canadians can't access that service. And they told me that on the phone too. She said "I don't like to say 'never' ..."
Hmm. All the pages/posts I can find about that limitation are all from Kindle 2 users which don't have WiFi like this blog post. I have no idea what happens if you try to do it with a Kindle 3 on WiFi. Very strange that you can't though. I'd understand if you couldn't do it over 3G because of charges or something but allowing USB sideloading but not WiFi?

Anybody got a Canadian Amazon account and tried the document conversion service?

Anyway, to your original intent of using the Kindle 3 as a PDF reader. The PDF reader in it isn't amazing TBH. The main issue is that the screen is just too small to display the average PDF comfortably. If the PDF is large then you'll find that there is a slight delay in flipping pages. I've no idea what its like on the other eReaders. You might want to consider something like an iPad if PDFs are going to be your main reading material since that will display them without any problems at all.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
comicbookguy
comicbookguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Amazon's help page seems to be stating that you can't use Kindle's document conversion over Wifi. I'm guessing that would mean that Wifi is only used for syncing books and not personal documents. If I have personal documents AND books, I would have to use USB, making the wireless feature pointless.

My initial impression was that Canadian Kindle users can't use 3G for personal documents, meaning 3G in Canada can only be used for buying Amazon books (and browsing?).

Am I correct, or am I missing something?
comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
bbesse
bbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with others

Device: PaperWhite WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi!
Well I am a relative new user of the Kindle. I will try sending a PDF to my account ad see WTH happens. The I will run it thru the AWSOME Calibre package and see what that does.
But it will have to wait till i get home from work.
...Brent...
bbesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
For any PDF you simply email it to your email@kindle.com and it works great - in Canada. I do it all the time. If it's a large one - like over 5MB, I'll use Calibre - no conversion required.

DS
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I have a Kindle 3 WiFi and I have email documents to my Kindle. I have not tried any conversion services though. I had my wife email a text file to my email@free.kindle.com and when I connected to my WiFi at home the file did show up on my kindle.

I have a feeling that the disclaimer may be for 3G Wireless transfer vice WiFi transfer, as someone else has surmised.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote