Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
20Gt
20Gt began at the beginning.

Device: Android
ERROR: Unhandled exception: (MemoryError)

Calibre usually works just fine.

I'm trying to help my Uncle turn his books into ebooks and I get this error when I try to import this large html file
The file I'm importing is very large (178mb)

Quote:
calibre, version 2.15.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>MemoryError</b>:

calibre 2.15 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Databazeknih
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 1244, in edit_file_requested
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 1214, in edit_file
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 504, in raw_data
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 439, in decode
File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
MemoryError

Last edited by 20Gt; 01-25-2016 at 06:38 PM.
20Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@20Gt - looks like you ran out of memory, see that last line

What OS are you using?

If Windows then:
is it 32bit or 64 bit Windows,
if 64 bit are you using 64 bit calibre, if not try it

What is the source of the 178mb of HTML? I'm guessing that your uncle didn't hand craft it in a text editor

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A 178 MB file is pretty large... for an HTML file, which is plain text!

Try splitting up the file into multiple logical chunks (by chapter?) and importing them separately.
Alternatively, where did you get that file from? If it was a Word export-as-filtered-html, don't do that -- the Editor can directly import DOCX.

The Editor's DOCX conversion is far better than the trash MS Word calls filtered HTML.

Another thing, you are using a 32-bit calibre on 64-bit Windows. Do yourself a favor and uninstall calibre, then install the 64-bit version.
(None of your settings will be lost.)

64-bit calibre can access more RAM than 32-bit calibre -- which is good when you are dealing with an Out Of Memory error!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@20Gt - looks like you ran out of memory, see that last line

What OS are you using?

If Windows then:
is it 32bit or 64 bit Windows,
if 64 bit are you using 64 bit calibre, if not try it
Ahhh, you ninjaed me while I was drafting a response myself.

See the lines in the error output that say:
Code:
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ahhh, you ninjaed me while I was drafting a response myself.

See the lines in the error output that says:
Code:
- that all went straight past me - watching a video editor doing its thing

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote