Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
kindle dx upgrade options? (>9" eink)

Been out of the market for a while, not sure if there's some updated resource/wiki available?

Otherwise, I'm happy to do my own research and update it on the wiki/this page

Requirements:
>9" eink screen

Optional:
touch (finger and/or stylus)
backlight
(opensource/modifiable OS/android)
connectivity (wifi/bluetooth/OTG USB)

Available:
Sony DPT-S1 13.3" (too many drawbacks)
Onyx Boox M96/M92 9.7" (I would prefer the N96 below)
Onyx Boox N96 9.7" (regular model has finger+stylus but no backlight. ML model has backlight but no finger touch)

Preorder/Manufacture:
Onyx Boox Max 13.3"
Icarus A4 13.3" ???
Goodereader 13.3" (low ram, not backed by major manufacturer)
PocketBook CAD 13.3" ???

Am I missing anything? Will read up on those options above

Last edited by paperwastage; 07-22-2016 at 09:35 AM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
I am also interested in this, my DX is so unreliable with 2 columns pdf, and battery life is horrible after so many years. Not sure I want to invest time/money on something so slow and old.

I think a 8" would also be ok, but these prices $300+ are so ridiculous.
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtraloud View Post
I am also interested in this, my DX is so unreliable with 2 columns pdf, and battery life is horrible after so many years. Not sure I want to invest time/money on something so slow and old.

I think a 8" would also be ok, but these prices $300+ are so ridiculous.
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/larg...k-readers.html

this is the closest resource I can find, that lists large eink

there are 8" 250dpi (1600x1200) available (versus kindle DX 9.7" 150dpi), but not sure I want to go smaller when reading (non-reflowable) PDFs

technology for larger eInk screens is still stuck at pearl/mobius 160-250dpi... sigh

Last edited by paperwastage; 07-29-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Nice link, but it's missing the cybook ocean which looks like a good alternative. In any case $200 is still too much, I can get a very nice and fast tablet for that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/larg...k-readers.html

this is the closest resource I can find, that lists large eink

there are 8" 250dpi (1600x1200) available (versus kindle DX 9.7" 150dpi), but not sure I want to go smaller when reading (non-reflowable) PDFs

technology for larger eInk screens is still stuck at pearl/mobius 160-250dpi... sigh
Old 08-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Nice link, but it's missing the cybook ocean which looks like a good alternative. In any case $200 is still too much, I can get a very nice and fast tablet for that money.
A tablet will always be better for pdf. Especially since it does support color and is much faster with scrolling/zooming. Only downsides would be battery life and readability outdoors. If a tablet is a feasible option, you shouldn't discard it only because it is not a dedicated reader. Distractions from reading? That is not the devices fault, but your own. Put tablet in airplane mode with notifications turned off and there won't be any.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
A tablet will always be better for pdf. Especially since it does support color and is much faster with scrolling/zooming. Only downsides would be battery life and readability outdoors. If a tablet is a feasible option, you shouldn't discard it only because it is not a dedicated reader. Distractions from reading? That is not the devices fault, but your own. Put tablet in airplane mode with notifications turned off and there won't be any.
All true, but you forget the biggest selling point for me, the screen. I work all day on a computer and when I read I find e-ink very relaxing for my eyes. A tablet doesn't offer anything better than my laptop rather than portability.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
All true, but you forget the biggest selling point for me, the screen. I work all day on a computer and when I read I find e-ink very relaxing for my eyes. A tablet doesn't offer anything better than my laptop rather than portability.
Ok...so why are you comparing the price of an e-ink reader to the price of an LCD tablet if you aren't interested in buying a device with an LCD screen? If cost is a concern, then you should be comparing the price *only* among the devices you're interested in...not the ones that you're not. If I'm looking to buy a small hybrid vehicle because I'm concerned about gas mileage, I don't include big trucks in my comparison because they're more versatile...I *only* include vehicles that meet the criteria that I'm looking for.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
xxtraloud
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ok...so why are you comparing the price of an e-ink reader to the price of an LCD tablet if you aren't interested in buying a device with an LCD screen? If cost is a concern, then you should be comparing the price *only* among the devices you're interested in...not the ones that you're not. If I'm looking to buy a small hybrid vehicle because I'm concerned about gas mileage, I don't include big trucks in my comparison because they're more versatile...I *only* include vehicles that meet the criteria that I'm looking for.

Shari
And why do you waste your and my time to write such a pointless post?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
And why do you waste your and my time to write such a pointless post?
Why is it pointless? I'm truly curious as to why you are including LCD tablets in your price comparison if you're not interested in buying one.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
paperwastage
Groupie

got myself a Onyx N96ML

definitely nicer than Kindle DX Graphite
- backlight, more options like adjusting contrast/A2 mode, screen doesn't need to refresh every page even on non-A2 mode unlike DXG

with drawbacks
- ML = backlight, but no finger touch...
- annoying to have to use stylus to navigate - though can flip pages with backward/forward hardware button
- software is buggy... the pages reset often on this particular epub I'm reading, not sure why

Last edited by paperwastage; 08-02-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
got myself a Onyx N96ML

definitely nicer than Kindle DX Graphite
- backlight, more options like adjusting contrast/A2 mode, screen doesn't need to refresh every page even on non-A2 mode unlike DXG

with drawbacks
- ML = backlight, but no finger touch...
- annoying to have to use stylus to navigate - though can flip pages with backward/forward hardware button
- software is buggy... the pages reset often on this particular epub I'm reading, not sure why

That's the one I'm considering, as well.

Two questions, please:

1) When the pages reset, do you mean that you go back to the beginning of the book, to the first chapter?

2) A number of owners say that the front light [no eInk reader has a back light] is not very strong. Could you test this in a normally lit room, rather than in a completely dark area?

Thank you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's the one I'm considering, as well.

Two questions, please:

1) When the pages reset, do you mean that you go back to the beginning of the book, to the first chapter?

2) A number of owners say that the front light [no eInk reader has a back light] is not very strong. Could you test this in a normally lit room, rather than in a completely dark area?

Thank you.
1) was using the "EPUB with images" from here
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1184

i was jumping around chapters, it seemed to go back to the last page I read before jumping. should do a hard reset and try again

2) only own a kindle DX Graphite, can't tell you if it's bright or not. seems fine to me, good upgrade from DXG.
can go compare with a kindle paperwhite at a staples store

let me see if I can put together a video, probably during weekend.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A video would be great.

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A video would be great.

Thank you!
anything particular you want to see? sample pdfs?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
anything particular you want to see? sample pdfs?
Mainly how it looks in an 'average' living room setting with lights and with the front light on. (The problem I face with my Kindle DX-G is that I have to sit very close to a light source in the morning while I'm reading.)

Secondarily, how an epub looks on it and then how a mobi file looks.

Anything else you would care to show is greatly appreciated.

I love the large screen on my Kindle DX-G. I just wish it had a front light.

Did you buy yours from Amazon?

Thank you again for your thoughts and experiences on your NEW N96ml.