Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Enthusiast
1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: none
How to return T68 to Android 4.0.4?

I have decided to go back to Android 4.0.4.
Unfortunately the method described at http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads doesn't work.
The computer doesn't notice that the T68 is connected. The T68 does show a charging icon, but that's the only indication that the connection is working at all.
I have tried multiple USB cords, and even a different computer.
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Enthusiast
1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens1234 is a rising star in the heavens

I've also tried downloading the update.zip file and installing it from an sd card by holding the buttons on the left at startup.
Unfortunately it fails with a bunch of errors.
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could try setting USB debugging mode on t68.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You could try setting USB debugging mode on t68.
I have tried with USB debugging on and off.
I've also tried both mtp and ptp.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,

when your PC do not recognise your T68 most likely the problem is in the USB port and drivers of your PC. Try to use another port , cable or try to connect to another PC.
I also suggest to use this MFG Tool package. It contains latest update.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

when your PC do not recognise your T68 most likely the problem is in the USB port and drivers of your PC. Try to use another port , cable or try to connect to another PC.
I also suggest to use this MFG Tool package. It contains latest update.
Thanks, but I've already tried multiple cables, ports, and even computers.
The MFG Tool doesn't work as it just says "No Device Connected".
Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #7
grucha44
grucha44 doesn't littergrucha44 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
turn on usb debbuging - maybe that will help
grucha44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Thanks, but I've already tried multiple cables, ports, and even computers.
The MFG Tool doesn't work as it just says "No Device Connected".
MFG Tool displays HID compliant device if your connected device is in download mode.
In order to set it in download mode you either have to use particular button combination during boot process or using "adb reboot download" command after setting your device in USB debugging mode and connecting it to a pc with ADB software. Somehow you managed to install 4.4, so I assume you are familiar with it.
If you have tried different methods to connect your device to a PC and the connection always fails (except charging), the problem could be in the defective USB port. If you want we could check and fix it in our lab. Just contact our store using contacts form
Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Hi 1234,

Sorry about the troubles, especially since I commented on 4.4 vs 4.0 in your other thread.

As a shot in the dark try the kitkat mfgtool to reflash. Why? Well, two reasons to try: 1) it would establish that all methods are messed up, and 2) sometimes the initial flash is unstable. I don't know why that is, but maybe a 2nd flash could fix the first, allowing you to then flash ICS instead.

I know on one of my devices the settings had some reboot options. I'm pretty sure it's not T68, but if it is it's in settings. If it's not, but you can install things, try looking for a reboot app and then try the various options (download mode is usually an option).

Lastly, you could try a factory reset to see if it cures the woes and allows a subsequent reflash.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grucha44 View Post
turn on usb debbuging - maybe that will help
I've already tried that.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
MFG Tool displays HID compliant device if your connected device is in download mode.
In order to set it in download mode you either have to use particular button combination during boot process or using "adb reboot download" command after setting your device in USB debugging mode and connecting it to a pc with ADB software. Somehow you managed to install 4.4, so I assume you are familiar with it.
I have been using "PgDn (<) + PgUp (>) + power button for three seconds". It Download mode seems to activate, but the MFG tool doesn't show it.

Do you know if this tool should work with Windows 10?

Quote:
If you have tried different methods to connect your device to a PC and the connection always fails (except charging), the problem could be in the defective USB port. If you want we could check and fix it in our lab. Just contact our store using contacts form
Thanks for the offer. It's just not worth the effort (and shipping cost) for me.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry about the troubles, especially since I commented on 4.4 vs 4.0 in your other thread.
Not worry. I had actually installed Kitkat a long time ago. I hadn't used my T68 in a while. After your comments I had decided not to switch back to 4.0. Then I remembered the annoying light built into the button that is always on. If I remember correctly that only became a problem after Kitkat

Quote:
As a shot in the dark try the kitkat mfgtool to reflash. Why? Well, two reasons to try: 1) it would establish that all methods are messed up, and 2) sometimes the initial flash is unstable. I don't know why that is, but maybe a 2nd flash could fix the first, allowing you to then flash ICS instead.
Interesting idea. I will try that.

Quote:
I know on one of my devices the settings had some reboot options. I'm pretty sure it's not T68, but if it is it's in settings. If it's not, but you can install things, try looking for a reboot app and then try the various options (download mode is usually an option).

Lastly, you could try a factory reset to see if it cures the woes and allows a subsequent reflash.
I think I'm reaching download mode alright using the regular method.
Holding the power button does let me reach safe mode, but it didn't help.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Some irrelevant thoughts:

-Did you remove any apps, by chance? I know removing one or two of the system apps messed me up in the past, and they were things I didn't think would have an effect (I think it was either browser or keyboard that was removed and had the side-effect that buttons wouldn't work anymore). I doubt this would affect anything until android was started, though

-You were able to install kitkat, so you must have done this already, but on the remote chance you misinterpreted the instructions this time around: pgup+pgdn+power for a few seconds withOut the cord plugged in, start mfgtool, then plug things in, right? I sometimes find the process maddening, though no doubt not as much a you do

-I suppose you could try re-installing the drivers by disabling driver signature enforcement and then try it all again.

As mentioned, probably useless thoughts as you've no doubt tried and thought of a million other things including these.

Last edited by bsnick; 02-08-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: mixed up which buttons to press
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #14
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I have decided to go back to Android 4.0.4.
Unfortunately the method described at http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads doesn't work.
This is very worrying to read, since I am also on 4.4 and thinking to go back to 4.0.4, since many things do not seem to work properly on 4.4...

Have they given up on making 4.4 work? This version is very old and still seems very beta, even alpha with things like the front light and bluetooth not working as expected.

Anyway, I will try to install 4.0.4 today and will report my experience.
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 AM   #15
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
This is very worrying to read, since I am also on 4.4 and thinking to go back to 4.0.4, since many things do not seem to work properly on 4.4...

Have they given up on making 4.4 work? This version is very old and still seems very beta, even alpha with things like the front light and bluetooth not working as expected.

Anyway, I will try to install 4.0.4 today and will report my experience.
Don't worry, the work on upgrade to 4.4 is in process.
Those files for 4.4 on our download site are indeed outdated and were offered just as prove that we are working on it. Since there were rather a small quantity of users, who downloaded them, I just didn't replaced them with newer versions. We have a handful user, who orders and tests newer versions regularly. If you want to test latest version for you device, just let a message on contact page. Anyway, as I already mentioned in other posts, according to some leading developers of Onyx they are going finally to migrate to 4.4 within of the next 6-8 weeks.

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-15-2017 at 04:09 AM.