Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Using Apple Maps instead of Google Maps

Hi everyone.

I love this Marvin reader. It is truly amazing and it can only improve to make it THE best reader out there. It is fantastic the way it works with calibre, another brilliant piece of software.

I had an idea that I have not been able to implement. In Marvin, you can assign various tasks to the menu bar that appears when you tap and hold a word or words.

I have assigned one of these menu items to use Google Maps. For example, if I click and hold on the word Paris, and select Maps from the menu bar that comes up, Marvin uses Good Maps to show the location.

I was wondering if someone knew the code to get Marvin to use the iPad's Maps app.

For google maps, the default Command text is: http://maps.google.com/maps?q={text}

What would be the code for using Apple Maps to find the location?

Thanks in advance.
kakkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a link to Apple's URL scheme for the Maps app.

I think what you want would look like this:

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
kakkalla
Zealot

Thanks for this information.

It is way too difficult for me to understand. Given the way Marvin needs the text, are you able to tell me what to type in text field?

If not, I'll pass on your comment to the developer.

Cheers and thanks again.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
kakkalla
Zealot

I get it.

I have now entered this in the Command text field:

http://maps.apple.com/?q={text}

But it still brings up Google Maps.

Bummer.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
It's the same command text you mentioned in your opening post, except that you exchange "google" for "apple". So, use this command text:

Code:
http://maps.apple.com/maps?q={text}
By the way, Google Maps are still far better than Apple Maps for where I live. I hope Marvin will soon give us the option to set up an unlimited amount of custom menu buttons -- all of those I set up are taken by dictionaries (there's not enough buttons for dictionaries themselves...), so it's too bad I can't use some of these other intriguing custom commands in Marvin.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
kakkalla
Zealot

Yep. That's what I have entered and it still brings up Google Maps.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Yes, that's weird, isn't it? The link as stated by Greg only works in the default Safari browser. In all other iOS browsers I've tried, including Marvin's internal browser, you get instantly redirected to maps.google.com, despite putting maps.apple.com in the address line. LOL, looks like Google managed to "hijack" iDevices at least in some respect as a sort of revenge, after seeing its maps booted as the default app in iOS 6.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkalla View Post
I get it.

I have now entered this in the Command text field:

http://maps.apple.com/?q={text}

But it still brings up Google Maps.

Bummer.
Try this to open the Apple Maps app:

Code:
maps://?q={text}
G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-18-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

That works.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
GRiker

Here's the URL scheme to open the Google Maps app (instead of the web interface):
Code:
comgooglemaps://?q={text}
G
Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
kakkalla
Zealot

Thank you all. Got it to work with Apple maps. Only problem is I can't see a way of adding this to the book.

Last edited by kakkalla; 11-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Maybe I missed it in the explanation but why in the world would you want to use apple maps over Google maps?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
kakkalla
Zealot

Good question. Apart from "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back" I have no answer.