Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #3331
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Daily Deals -- exp 27 Dec
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #3332
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last Day -- Downpour -- exp 27 Dec
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #3333
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Thanks to a HUGE Drop in the Price of the Ebook, the Whispersync Deal is Only $4.98!

Arghh! The one time when I was going to cut to the chase and just let the facts in the post speak for themselves, I'm going to have to make caveats, explanations, warnings, etc. before making the post. I'll be as brief as possible.

The subtitle of the audiobook at Audible (What If Marriage Is About More Than Just Staying Together?) is different from the subtitle of the ebook at Amazon (How to Have Lasting Intimacy, Friendship, and Purpose in Your Marriage). Is it then, the same book?

First, the facts that make me think that they are the same. I purchased the ebook for myself, and the Amazon website informed me that the audiobook that Audible supplies in the Whispersync deal has the subtitle that Audible has, not the one that Amazon has. There is no other book at Audible with the title A Lifelong Love.

However, after I purchased the ebook at Amazon, the information that they gave about the regular price of the audiobook at Audible is $24.49. That is different than what the ebook's dedicated webpage at Amazon has--$20.95 (however, that price does coincide with the regular price that Audible gives for the audiobook). It also showed a product with a radically different cover than the one on Amazon (see more about this below).

To confuse things even more, both the ebook and audiobook were released at about the same time (ebook--October 1, 2014; audiobook--November 7, 2014). That being the case, why the two different subtitles? Furthermore, the appearance of the cover of the ebook and the cover of the supposedly matching audiobook at Audible are radically different.

The preview of the ebook at Amazon didn't provide any publication information of any help in sorting things out and coming to a conclusion.

My feeling is that the weight of evidence supports the conclusion that the ebook and audiobook are the same, i.e., they have the same text. I just wanted to give you a heads up. You will have to make your own decision on whether or not to purchase.

If any MobileReader has any information that can help clear this up, by all means, please share it with us!

Title: A Lifelong Love: How to Have Lasting Intimacy, Friendship, and Purpose in Your Marriage.
Genre: Non-Fiction (Self-Development/Marriage).
Author(s): Gary Thomas.
Price: $4.98 ($.99 ebook (marked down) + $3.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $20.95 (1 credit).
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.7 stars/84 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.6/53 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 338/8 hours and 34 minutes.
Narrator(s): Arthur Morey.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/pd/Self-Devel...ok/B00PBDCY8W/.
Amazon URL (you can get the whole Whispersync deal here): https://www.amazon.com/Lifelong-Love.../dp/B00N9LW5RS.
Comments:
Book Description (Amazon):
Gary Thomas believes couples often settle for too little when it comes to marriage. We fail to understand how deeply God cares about our spouse. We diminish our need to not only understand what biblical love really is, but also to become a people who excel at it. We let ourselves drift apart instead of making the daily choices to grow closer together.

Whether your marriage needs a complete makeover, a touch up, or just a new purpose,
A Lifelong Love promises to set your relationship on an entirely new dimension. You will never look at worship or your spouse in the same way again. You will understand how living for that day will so radically transform the decisions you make this day. And Gary will guide you through the power shifts and seasonal mine fields that blow up so many marriages so that you can grow in your love instead of in your disappointment.

Thirty years of study and two decades of working with couples has led Gary Thomas to his most significant book yet on the relationship between husband and wife. Find out for yourself what all the fuss is about—and why
A Lifelong Love is sure to challenge the way the church talks about marriage.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #3334
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
Sounds like a glitch to me. I never noticed a difference between free and paid credits before. Other 2 for 1 sales have had cart glitches so it might be worth talking to customer service.
Just to close the loop on my problem; chatted with a rep and they quickly fixed it by just giving me another credit. Feel a little guilty, as I used a free credit from agreeing not to cancel to get two books in the sale, then promptly cancelled.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #3335
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Feel a little guilty, as I used a free credit from agreeing not to cancel to get two books in the sale, then promptly cancelled.
I've done that before, but only for one book. I don't like the selections in these 2-for-1 sales and use my credits for collecting series. I have my next 9 credits already reserved for finishing Asimov's "Foundation" series.
Advert
Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #3336
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 28 Dec
Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #3337
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 28 Dec
I'm going to have to get a U.K. account. There have been just too many good deals at the U.K. Audible lately.

Do you know what time of day the daily specials end there (an United States time zone, please)?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:02 AM   #3338
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm going to have to get a U.K. account. There have been just too many good deals at the U.K. Audible lately.

Do you know what time of day the daily specials end there (an United States time zone, please)?
11:59 PM GMT = 6:59 PM ET -- there's a 5 hour time difference between London and New York.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #3339
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 28 Dec

* Everybody Behaves Badly: The True Story Behind Hemingway's Masterpiece The Sun Also Rises
Old 12-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #3340
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've done that before, but only for one book. I don't like the selections in these 2-for-1 sales and use my credits for collecting series. I have my next 9 credits already reserved for finishing Asimov's "Foundation" series.
There are some interesting sounding non-fiction choices in this group, that I might not spend a full credit on, but 2-for-1, I might go ahead and try.
I have nothing lined up for my next credits anyway.

But be sure to check the Whispersync deals, because several titles I looked at in this sale are dirt cheap when bought with the equally dirt-cheap Kindle edition, and may not be worth (to my thinking) spending even half a credit on.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #3341
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
There are some interesting sounding non-fiction choices in this group, that I might not spend a full credit on, but 2-for-1, I might go ahead and try.
I have nothing lined up for my next credits anyway.

But be sure to check the Whispersync deals, because several titles I looked at in this sale are dirt cheap when bought with the equally dirt-cheap Kindle edition, and may not be worth (to my thinking) spending even half a credit on.
True, but since I pay an average of 25 cents per credit, the math doesn't really help.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #3342
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
True, but since I pay an average of 25 cents per credit, the math doesn't really help.

Me too. My logic is, given the choice, I will use that 25 cent credit to save >$12.00 or more on a more expensive book I had my eye on, rather than save <$5 on a really cheap Whispersync combo. For the <$5 stuff, I'll just pay cash.
That way, though my average price per credit may go up a bit (if you factor in the cash purchases), my value per credit is way higher.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #3343
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Rental of the Week -- exp 02 Jan

$1.99 -- Spirit Mission -- Ted Russ/ Tom Taylorson --> 10.6 hrs --> thriller

Quote:
An MH-47G Chinook helicopter departs formation in the Iraqi night. The mission is unauthorized. The objective is reckless. But to save a friend, Sam Avery and his crew of Night Stalkers have prepared for one last flight.

ISIS operatives in Tal Afar, Iraq, have captured American aid worker Henry Stillmont. Avery knows Stillmont as “the Guru,” the West Point squad leader who taught him about brotherhood, loyalty, and when to break the rules as a young cadet twenty-five years ago. Sam will risk his career and his life to save him.

As they near their target, Sam reflects on his time in the crucible of the United States Military Academy. West Point made Sam the leader he is. But his fellow cadets made him the man that he is. The ideals of duty, honor, and country have echoed throughout his life and drive him and his comrades as they undertake their final and most audacious spirit mission.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #3344
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Deal of the Week -- exp 02 Jan

$4.95 -- After Fidel -- Brian Latell/ Stefan Rudnicki --> 10.8 hrs --> biography

Quote:
After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro’s Regime and Cuba’s Next Leader

In this compelling, behind-the-scenes account, former top CIA officer and Cuba expert Brian Latell examines the extraordinary Castro brothers and the impending dynastic succession of Fidel’s younger brother, Raul. Exploring the brothers’ remarkable relationship, he reveals how Fidel and Raul have collaborated, divided responsibilities, and resolved disagreements for more than forty-six years—a challenge to the notion that the little-known Raul has been an insignificant player. The result is an intimate portrait of two enigmatic men and a new understanding of the psychology and motivation behind their actions. Based on his insider knowledge of Raul, Latell projects what kind of leader he will be and how the shift in power might influence US-Cuban relations.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #3345
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
11:59 PM GMT = 6:59 PM ET -- there's a 5 hour time difference between London and New York.
Thanks. Now I need to go back and re-read the discussion about how to get a U.K. account . . . .