Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-12-2024, 01:20 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Problem finding font adjustments

Being a little bored, I decided I needed to play with a new e-reader. I didn't have any interest in a colour reader so decided to look at the Pocketbook Era.

I'm embarrassed, a little, after all these years using similar devices, that I cannot find the controls that allow you to change the font, the size of it, etc. Looking at the Good Ereader video, I know it can be done, but so far it eludes me. The User Manual is useless.

I'd appreciate any help.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:39 PM   #2
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
When you tap in the middle of the screen to bring up the menu, the font settings are in the bottom row. They are there and are limited. Installing KOReader is a much better option since you can get Contrast and font Weight options which are not available in PocketBook UI.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 10:28 AM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
When you tap in the middle of the screen to bring up the menu, the font settings are in the bottom row. They are there and are limited. Installing KOReader is a much better option since you can get Contrast and font Weight options which are not available in PocketBook UI.
Thank you very much. And you're right, the settings are limited. Reminds me a little of those on the Nook. Installing KOReader looks a little daunting if you have a Mac.

Jim
Old 05-13-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Thank you very much. And you're right, the settings are limited. Reminds me a little of those on the Nook. Installing KOReader looks a little daunting if you have a Mac.

Jim
Install Koreader on your Pocketbook device, not on your MAC.
  1. Basically they just download koreader for the notebook
  2. Extract the downloaded .zip file to your Pocketbook
  3. Disconnect your device from PC
  4. You should now see the new Koreader app in the apps on your e-reader.

Download Koreader : https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases
Direct download Koreader for Pocketbook : https://github.com/koreader/koreader...k-v2024.04.zip

Enjoy
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Install Koreader on your Pocketbook device, not on your MAC.
  1. Basically they just download koreader for the notebook
  2. Extract the downloaded .zip file to your Pocketbook
  3. Disconnect your device from PC
  4. You should now see the new Koreader app in the apps on your e-reader.

Download Koreader : https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases
Direct download Koreader for Pocketbook : https://github.com/koreader/koreader...k-v2024.04.zip

Enjoy
I followed your instructions, but the KOReader doesn't appear in the apps. When you extract the downloaded .zip file to the Pocketbook, is there anyplace in particular that you're supposed to extract it to? Tried just adding the new folder to the list of other folders in the file and that did nothing so added it to the apps folder and that didn't do anything either. Something that's obvious that I should know but don't, no doubt.

Jim
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 03:33 PM   #6
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I followed your instructions, but the KOReader doesn't appear in the apps. When you extract the downloaded .zip file to the Pocketbook, is there anyplace in particular that you're supposed to extract it to? Tried just adding the new folder to the list of other folders in the file and that did nothing so added it to the apps folder and that didn't do anything either. Something that's obvious that I should know but don't, no doubt.

Jim
Hi Jim

Did you download the correct file (koreader for Pocketbook devices)?
First of all, you need to extract the downloaded file with the .zip extension.
After extraction, you should see 2 folders "system & applications, copy this two folders to your Pocketbook.

Now you should see Koreader in your aplications. The koreader.app application itself must be in the application folder.
It's really not difficult, just copy the content into your reading books. You will see that koreader will completely change your reading experience, it has a lot of settings for both the page and the text, CSS editing and much more.

Koreader for Pocketbook https://github.com/koreader/koreader...k-v2024.04.zip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copy to pocketbook.png
Views:	113
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	208265  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 05-13-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:14 PM   #7
Strether
Guru

I did copy the contents of the KOReader .zip file (Application and System) into the Application folder of the Pocketbook, and disconnected the Pocketbook.

Am I supposed to see something KOReader-related in the Apps? Because nothing is there.

What's simple to you is not to me, I'm afraid, and I'll understand if you give it up.

Jim
Old 05-13-2024, 04:33 PM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
I did copy the contents of the KOReader .zip file (Application and System) into the Application folder of the Pocketbook, and disconnected the Pocketbook.

Am I supposed to see something KOReader-related in the Apps? Because nothing is there.

What's simple to you is not to me, I'm afraid, and I'll understand if you give it up.

Jim
You must extract the content to the root folder, not the applications folder.
Shortcut just open koreader.zip > extract > pocketbook
In short, extract the zip to pocketbook as it is

When you then open Pocketbook, look in the application, you should see an icon or an application with the name koreader

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 05-13-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:24 PM   #9
Strether
Guru

I think I've messed this device up irrecoverably and will just toss it. I tried to set it back to factory settings and try again, but now am told that in the root of the directory, there are already Application and Systems folders there and do I want to replace, etc. I don't think that's the response we're looking for.

Thanks for your attempt to help.

Jim
Old 05-14-2024, 09:45 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I think I've messed this device up irrecoverably and will just toss it.
I hope that doesn't mean you're going to throw away the Era. I'm sure it can be fixed.

(Or do you mean you're going to toss the KoReader installation?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:47 AM   #11
Strether
Guru

No, I meant I was going to toss it. It's not usable to me as it is.

If someone wants to PM me an address, I'll be glad to send it to them if they're more tech-savy than me and can make the thing work.

Jim
Old 05-14-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:

If someone wants to PM me an address, I'll be glad to send it to them if they're more tech-savy than me and can make the thing work.

Jim
Are you serious ? I would definitely take her, no doubt about that
But if there is someone who needs it more or urgently, I will make way for him.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 05-14-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:57 PM   #13
Strether
Guru

Not sure what the shipping costs to France would be, but maybe others in this country would be interested.

And yes, I'm serious. Better than just tossing it (or keeping it around to remind me of my folly of buying it in the first place.)

Jim
Old 05-14-2024, 03:14 PM   #14
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:

Jim
If your Fresno city is in California, I can take a look, since I'm also there.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:18 PM   #15
Strether
Guru

You're also in California or Fresno? And yes, I'm in California.

Jim