Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
zato12
zato12 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox
Note+ or the upcoming Nova with pen

I'm uncertain to buy right now a Note Plus or wait for the release of the new Nova equipped witn the writing pen
An influencing factor I'm not able to evaluate is the screen resolution differences between the two
The Nova has a 300 dpi resolution while the Note uses 226 dpi
it looks like the Nova pixel is about 25% finer than the other
So would you kindly tell me, based on your experience, if that makes a relevant difference for the reading quality
zato12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I have the Onyx Note and I also have a Kobo Aura One which happens to be 300 dpi and is similar in size to a Nova. Just compared the two of them by opening to the same place in the same book with similar style and size font.

To my eyes, the font on the KA1 did appear to be slightly crisper. However, the KA1 does not support stylus use and so does not have the added wacom layer. I also don't have a screen protector on my KA1.

Would the font on the KA1 be all that much crisper if it had a wacom layer and if I used a screen protector with it?

Dunno. But I imagine there would still be a slight difference.

However, one huge factor between the two of them which also needs to be taken into consideration is the screen size. On the same book, open to the same place with similar style and size of font, the Note displays over twice as much text as does the KA1. Reading PDFs on the Note is also much preferable to reading them on the KA1 due to the extra screen real estate.

So which will suit you better, the Note + or the Nova with a pen?

Depends on what kind of reading and note taking/sketching you will be primarily doing. The screen size of the Note is wonderful. However, the KA1 is more portable. It also depends when you would like to start using your device. It may be some time yet before the Nova with a pen gets released.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
zato12

Thanks for your replay
It seems the increase in screen resolution is not in your view a factor that makes the difference in making the choice between the two devices
actually, while the PDF reading is not my primary purpose, the use of a pen would make easier the text selection, help add notes etc etc
that's because I'm used to the pen of the Samsung Note Pro I used so far. Unfortunately that crashed and I'm oriented to replace it rather than to face an expensive repair
... but another question: for e-pub reading which would you use, Note or KA1?

Last edited by zato12; 01-02-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato12 View Post
... but another question: for e-pub reading which would you use, Note or KA1?
It usually depends which language the epub is in.

When I read epubs in Chinese, I usually use the Note as I have a wonderful app which I can use when a word is not in one of the dictionaries which i have installed.

When I read epubs in Japanese, I usually use my KA1 because it handles Japanese better, especially furigana. (If for some reason I am using my Note to read in Japanese, I usually use the Moonreader app to do so because it handles Japanese much better than Neoreader, but not as well as my KA1.)

When I read epubs in English, it varies. I find both are comfortable for reading on. If I'm going to be out and about, I might take the KA1 because it is a bit smaller. If I'm going to be reading in a poorly lit room, it would usually be the KA1 because I would otherwise have to use a light with the Note.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
zato12

Thanks a lot for your replay
Advert