Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #121
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Old GArden Roses! Teas, Chinas, and Rugosas, (and Knockout Roses) are in full flush...magnificent!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #122
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Old GArden Roses! Teas, Chinas, and Rugosas, (and Knockout Roses) are in full flush...magnificent!

eeks !

ours are, only, just starting to show fresh shoots - never mind flower buds !!

Tom - thanks - it may work, but I always worry about pests/slugs trapped beneath them, and I don't want to use pellets... (cats & dog around).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #123
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
eeks !

ours are, only, just starting to show fresh shoots - never mind flower buds !!

Tom - thanks - it may work, but I always worry about pests/slugs trapped beneath them, and I don't want to use pellets... (cats & dog around).
Buds? BUDS? Just took the following pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cramsion Superior.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	49858

Name:	Ducher.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	49859

Name:	Forgot Name.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	49860

Name:	Knockout.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	49861

Name:	Monseiur Tiller.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	49862
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #124
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Shoot, how did I miss this thread???? I LOVE GARDENS!!!

Yes, the primroses were (are) in FINE form this year. I posted a picture on my blog probably two weeks ago. The evening primroses are egg-yolk yellow--gorgeous in the evenings and early mornings.

The pink primroses are just getting started and look LOVELY next to the Indian paintbrush. The Blue Bonnets didn't make much of a showing in the yard, but we went for a hike in the woods and they are doing just fine there. Gorgeous.

Now then. In the veggie garden...we have snap peas and snow peas, of which the snow are doing better (because I like the taste of the snap peas better, of course!!!) The tomatoes have blossoms and there are even 5 or so grape tomatoes started.

I have to go read the rest of the posts. OH--I see Neil has roses. Yes, one of the rosebushes is blooming. I forget...oh yes, it's an antique rose--pink in the middle and white on the outside.

Woot! I love gardens.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #125
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
No I think that was Ralph that had the tea roses.!!! MY gosh, Ralph. I think we're neighbors!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #126
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
... In the veggie garden...we have snap peas and snow peas, of which the snow are doing better (because I like the taste of the snap peas better, of course!!!) ...
Snaps are good, but after harvest come the shelling.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #127
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
No I think that was Ralph that had the tea roses.!!! MY gosh, Ralph. I think we're neighbors!
Just a couple hundred miles. (Raised in San Antonio, Degree from UT Austin...)
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #128
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Snaps are good, but after harvest come the shelling.

snaps don't need shelling ... ?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #129
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No. Break off the tip, break off the the stem part and snap, snap snap and you're ready to cook.... Eat pod and all.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #130
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I want an iguana; they're such interesting looking critters! Unfortunately the wife doesn't like any reptiles.

Everything I've learned has been from the Internet. You can't go wrong with the Internet! If it's online, it has to be true!
They really are cool, and a definite conversation starter. The problem is they are very labor intensive (an hour or so a day to do it properly), fairly expensive to keep up (special lights, environment, enclosure), and you aren't going to be taking them for a walk either, they do have harnesses for them but we're a bit reluctant to try one as we have a large population of raptors (hawks, falcons,and eagles) in the area. More importantly, they are in no way domesticated, and with the teeth, claws, and tail, can cause some serious damage pretty quickly. But, most importantly -- they are cool

I'll be scouring the internet over the next few months for garden info, it will probably be my summer project, as soon as we decide where to put it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #131
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, yes. Snaps need shelling, and it's a tedious, tiresome job to do it by hand!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #132
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
No. Break off the tip, break off the the stem part and snap, snap snap and you're ready to cook.... Eat pod and all.
I remember helping out shelling snaps when I was a kid. We never ate the pod, but it may be worth a try; it would certainly be easier. How do they taste?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #133
GeoffC

Quote:
Oh, yes. Snaps need shelling, and it's a tedious, tiresome job to do it by hand!

Interesting, we always eat pod & peas, that is if we're talking same thing .
We call them "sugar snaps" here (mangetout) .... Like pea pods, but thin ....

http://www.hub-uk.com/vegetables/sugar-snap-peas.htm
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #134
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Our daffodils are starting to bloom now as well as the hyacinths, nothing on the narcissus yet though.

One of my summer projects this year will be to set up a vegetable garden, we had one at our old house and would like to do one in the new as well. We just need to figure the best spot for it, and how to protect it from the deer. Last year we grew lettuce, tomatoes, melon, peppers, collards (for the iguana also). A banana tree would be cool, Petey (the iguana) and the kids love them - I dont think it will do so well in North East Ohio though.

That's a lot of work, but it does look nice. Did you get it from a book(s) or just sort of wing it? Our last one was in a 4 foot x 12 foot box I made in the back yard and was a bit cramped, the next effort will be something much more ambitious I think, or so I've been directed.

You sound very knowledgeable, next time I'm in Seattle can I come over and help you garden, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you
the most recent issue of Sunset magazine had some REALLY neat container garden ideas! "Burpees" has spray on deer stuff that keep deer away, and I find that peeing around the outside of the garden keeps other pests away as well.

Quote:
sound advice on how to keep vegetable gardens weed-free would be appreciated ...
the weed mats are good (but expensive). I don't like to use the bark and stones because of rototilling late on (and I REALLY do hate the splinters from the bark). I've used plastic garbage bags on some plants, just tear a hole where they come up. also I've had friends that put grass clippings around the established plants.

Quote:
Interesting, we always eat pod & peas, that is if we're talking same thing .
We call them "sugar snaps" here (mangetout) .... Like pea pods, but thin ....

http://www.hub-uk.com/vegetables/sugar-snap-peas.htm
those are what we call snow peas, and we do eat them whole. the snap peas have to be shelled, and are the basis for the normal green pea
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #135
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
(...)and I find that peeing around the outside of the garden keeps other pests away as well.
Do you do that yourself or do you delegate to your furry friends?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote