Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #106
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
huh! learn something new all the time! I've seen the trees before but I guess I never really noticed the flowers! reads like it is an all around good flower for women! you can die your hair, stimulate lactation and take care of cramps all with one flower!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #107
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
huh! learn something new all the time! I've seen the trees before but I guess I never really noticed the flowers! reads like it is an all around good flower for women! you can die your hair, stimulate lactation and take care of cramps all with one flower!
its also a useful "ecky thump" if you are in need of a weapon.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #108
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
you just wind up and whack someone with it?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #109
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
you just wind up and whack someone with it?
Yup. I am tempted to cut it down and take demonstrations photos.

But that would be taking it too far.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #110
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post

that would be a fun picture!
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #111
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Look up some recipes for banana flowers. They become a fantastic, delicious dish that most people outside of rural S.E. Asia never see or hear about!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #112
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
So that's what a banana flower looks like. Wow! My only attempt at reading a book in Japanese was a collection of short stories or essays by Yoshimoto Banana. In the first story she explains how she chose the name Banana: she was a hostess in a bar, saw a flower arrangement with a banana flower in it, and was extremely impressed. I am ashamed to say that I gave up reading at this point (my Japanese is not so good), so I don't even know how the story ends, but the description of the banana flower stayed with me. Now I understand why she was so awed.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #113
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This is my first real effort at a vegetable garden.
This is very clear from your pictures! But so well done that it could be shown in specialized magazines.

Now do not spoil your good work. Go there early every morning to weed. Water in the evenings. It is a beauty!!!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #114
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK! Moral question....

As you can see, something delicious is overhanging the fence into our yard.

When it was just a flower dropping bits that blew under the back patio it was just a pest. But now, on the eve (probably a few weeks away) of being eatable, what should we do?

Bear in mind that the owner can probably see the delicious treats from his kitchen window and back balcony.

Any ideas?

Moral? what?
This is happening in you garden. Jump on them right away. Before the owner can do anything. Let them become eatable on your table.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #115
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Do it. Please
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #116
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Our daffodils are starting to bloom now as well as the hyacinths, nothing on the narcissus yet though.

One of my summer projects this year will be to set up a vegetable garden, we had one at our old house and would like to do one in the new as well. We just need to figure the best spot for it, and how to protect it from the deer. Last year we grew lettuce, tomatoes, melon, peppers, collards (for the iguana also). A banana tree would be cool, Petey (the iguana) and the kids love them - I dont think it will do so well in North East Ohio though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...since late Fall by tilling, adding lime, tilling, adding Miracle Grow soil, tilling, adding manure, tilling one last time to thoroughly mix everything, hoeing and hilling the rows, covering the rows with weed-resistant material, putting putting red mulch between them, and adding a border.
That's a lot of work, but it does look nice. Did you get it from a book(s) or just sort of wing it? Our last one was in a 4 foot x 12 foot box I made in the back yard and was a bit cramped, the next effort will be something much more ambitious I think, or so I've been directed.

Quote:
here at Casa KK, gardening is almost always done barefoot, and quite often even more ummmm bare. those iddybiddy splinters are a bitch!
You sound very knowledgeable, next time I'm in Seattle can I come over and help you garden, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #117
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
sound advice on how to keep vegetable gardens weed-free would be appreciated ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #118
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
OK! Moral question....

As you can see, something delicious is overhanging the fence into our yard.

When it was just a flower dropping bits that blew under the back patio it was just a pest. But now, on the eve (probably a few weeks away) of being eatable, what should we do?

Bear in mind that the owner can probably see the delicious treats from his kitchen window and back balcony.

Any ideas?
It's obviously trespassing - perform a citizen's arrest and take it into custody!
[Errrrmmm - I'm no gardener - what is it?] [Just read other posts - please disregard]

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 04-15-2010 at 08:50 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #119
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Last year we grew lettuce, tomatoes, melon, peppers, collards (for the iguana also). A banana tree would be cool, Petey (the iguana) and the kids love them ...
I want an iguana; they're such interesting looking critters! Unfortunately the wife doesn't like any reptiles.

Except for me, of course.

Quote:
That's a lot of work, but it does look nice. Did you get it from a book(s) or just sort of wing it?
Everything I've learned has been from the Internet. You can't go wrong with the Internet! If it's online, it has to be true!

Quote:
Our last one was in a 4 foot x 12 foot box I made in the back yard and was a bit cramped, the next effort will be something much more ambitious I think, or so I've been directed.
Good luck!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
sound advice on how to keep vegetable gardens weed-free would be appreciated ...
Weed control fabrics work well. Dupont makes them, but you can probably find cheaper brands that work just as well at your local department or garden store. You'll need lawn staples to hold it in place, and a covering of mulch for appearance if you desire.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote