Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
A lot of my TBR are freebies, and the rest aren't too awfully expensive.

If I quit buying and reading so much my e-readers might think that I don't love them. I don't want to hurt their feelings.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My TBR stack is about 2-3 years, I hope to get it up to at least 5 years. Like buying groceries, It is just so much cheaper to stock up when the prices are low than to buy day-to-day. I still buy some at full price to read immediately, but usually only after they have been sitting on my wishlist for a long time with no sign of a price drop, and I just can't wait anymore. There is also a small but growing list of ebooks that I regret not buying when I had the chance, as the publisher has withdrawn them from sale (perhaps after the rights have reverted to the author or author's estate) and they are no longer available at any price.

If I was much younger it might be a mistake to build a large TBR stack, since my tastes might change. But I've been reading science fiction as an adult for about 25 years so I have no problem buying books by well-established authors to read in 5 years, although with other genres or with new authors I try not to buy that far ahead.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 AM   #18
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
If I see a book I want and it is part of a series, I feel the need to buy the earlier books in the series as I am a read-in-order type person.

Some books in my TBR were purchased when discounted. I've gotten better about buying books on the off chance I might one day be interested in reading them. But I still succumb occasionally.

I like to have choices in what I will read next. So if I hear about a book and there is a strong possibility I will want to read it I usually buy it so it can be in my TBR to choose. It can be fun to go "shopping" in your Calibre library when you have a big TBR.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 AM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It's a sickness, I tell you, a sickness.
wooooot!

I'm sick!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 AM   #20
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yep, I can relate to many of the sentiments expressed in this thread .....

cats2books comment re difficult to make a choice is a bugbear of mine, however, I realised that once I got a grip on what felt 'right' to read next from my calibre library I overcame it.

I'm always on the lookout for a new author (to me) and therefore suss out a lot of books and only buy those which kind of fit into an ephemeral target range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats2books View Post
I have become much more selective in my ebook purchases. I found that when I had too many books to choose from it was difficult to make a choice. It's just easier to make a decision when there are fewer choices.
Edit
Now that Kobo is no longer offering a monthly contest, or discount codes not attached to a set list of books, my discretionary ebook spending has reduced to near zero. When I buy it's often from Amazon, but in the main my next of series reads are in either ebook format or paper format from my local library.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-09-2016 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add the edit
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 03:40 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the same reason that people climb mountains.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the same reason that people climb mountains.
I'm reminded of Cathy Freeman's upper shoulder tattoo .... 'cos I can' ...... yep, that sums it up
Old 05-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats2books View Post
I have become much more selective in my ebook purchases. I found that when I had too many books to choose from it was difficult to make a choice. It's just easier to make a decision when there are fewer choices.
I find that better organization can help that. When I'm ready for another book, I'll scan my to be read list, moving books that strike my fancy to the reading list. Then it's just a case of looking at the much shorter list and deciding what I'm in the mood for. I might read a couple of pages on several different books before sticking with one.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I used to have a physical TBR pile on the floor next to my bed. When I had to split it into two piles to stop it toppling over on me in the night, I knew I had a problem.

But the thought that that pile stopped me from buying too many new books. Most of the time. Sort of.

As has been said with ebooks I no longer have the space problem. Nor do I have the physical reminder of the pile. I tend to buy new books on an impulse always intending to read them. Usually what happens is that I'll tell myself I'll just finish my current book, which I then don't finish for a long time because I'm not enthralled by it. If I eventually get to my new purchase it often becomes the new "not enthralled" book and something else apparently better comes along and so I click 'buy'...

As vices go it's fairly harmless. It costs me money but nothing I can't afford.

I feel more guilty about the library books I borrow and constantly renew, because there I'm stopping someone else reading it.

But as has been said, triumph of hope over experience.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks for all the answers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Then there are the sub rational reasons, which may be the real driver for most of our behavior.

Like: Hoarding instinct. It makes sense when you come across something to collect it as you don't know if it'll be there when you need it. From there, it is easy to lapse into just acquiring things.
This is basically my reason: DRM was cracked in 2009, and in 2010/2011 everything I ever wanted or could want became available in e-book format. When I bought a Kindle Touch, I started to buy as much books as fast as possible; first everything I knew I wanted (= replace paper books with e-book version + books I wanted but never had in paper), and then everything that looked interesting.

The thought behind that basically was: "It's available now, the DRM is cracked, and Kobo is giving away 50-90% discounts. I would be *MAD* not to buy anything I can get my hands on. Later, the prices may be much higher or possibly a new DRM can't be cracked."

Now that I have everything I want and everything that looked interesting, building a TBR-stack of around 800 books (I only read 30-ish books per year) my purchasing has greatly slowed down to maintaining running series and the occasional book I come across that looks interesting.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would hate it if Future Me had to be limited to reading mostly titles that Past Me assumed he would enjoy.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-09-2016 at 07:54 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I just wish that Future Me could exercise a veto on purchases made by Current Me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just wish that Future Me could exercise a veto on purchases made by Current Me.
Now THAT would be sweet!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-09-2016 at 08:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #29
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The thought behind that basically was: "It's available now, the DRM is cracked, and Kobo is giving away 50-90% discounts. I would be *MAD* not to buy anything I can get my hands on. Later, the prices may be much higher or possibly a new DRM can't be cracked."
It can work the other way as well though. I have stopped myself buying new books by favourite authors because I think "Why should I pay full price for that book when I have ~400 unread books already?". That's why I have a healthy ereaderiq list.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would hate it if Future Me had to be limited to reading mostly titles that Past Me assumed he would enjoy.
Ah no; it's not being limited; if e-books are available and DRM can be removed, I'll buy them. Buying everything I wanted right now is just an *extra* insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nah. Old people often get very stingy with regard to spending money, even if they have plenty of it. Would you like having Future You bleat <old_woman_voice>YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT! IT'S EXPENSIVE!"</old_woman_voice> in your ear, each time you want to buy an $3 e-book?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote