Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How much have you spent on ebooks vs. ereaders?
about 100x or more on ereaders as on ebooks 10 13.89%
about 50x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 20x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 1 1.39%
about 10x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 3 4.17%
about 5x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 2x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about the same on ereaders and ebooks 4 5.56%
about 2x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 4 5.56%
about 5x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 10 13.89%
about 10x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 11 15.28%
about 20x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 50x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 100x or more on ebooks as on ereaders 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
How much have you spent on ebooks vs. ereaders?

In ebook spending: include subscripions, library memberships, etc.

In ereader spending: include ereader covers and accessories, ereading apps, etc. but don't include phones, laptops etc. unless you bought them mainly for reading ebooks.

Which option is closest, in your estimation, to what you have spent on ereaders vs. ebooks to date?

Edit: Sorry my phrasing of the options was a bit clumsy. "about 2x more on ebooks than on ereaders" would have been better than saying "about 2x as much on ebooks as on ereaders".

The basic idea of the poll is to see what proportion of spending goes on content (ebooks) compared to the things needed to read that content (ereaders).

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-02-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: ... phrasing of the options was a bit clumsy ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I have spent $128 on ereaders.
Over that on ebooks. Now you have me curious.

Back. Just from Amazon, since 2011 I have picked up 10,154 digital items. Mostly books.
I have spent approximately $253.43.
That is an average of 2.4 cents per item.
Note most of those were in 2013 and I am not going through 5035 digital items to get a total for that year.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-02-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'm well into the 4-figure range on the ebook side just on Baen Webscriptions.
Tallying up my ereader costs is skewed by my early start but I'm still closer to 10x than 5x.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-02-2016 at 07:20 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
eReaders -- no idea

eBooks -- $0.00

As a rule, I don't buy apps, ebooks, music, or videos with my money. I get this content for free using promotional credits/money. The only digital content I spend my money on are audiobooks. And then, I never send more than $3 per audiobook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My answer in January would have been closer to 1:1 but my first Kindle died and I have a shiny new Voyage that needs to be amortized now, so 2:1 hardware:books (2.9 now, 1.7 before).

$475 spent on hardware and accessories, $165 spent on ebooks.

Straying off topic so spoiler tagged...
Spoiler:
If I look at it ebooks+hardware vs projected paper book spending then ebooks, even with hardware, are way lower than paper books. (This helps me to justify getting the ereader I want rather than a cheaper one. )

Pre-ereader I used to average about $200+ per year on books. Post-ereader I have spent ~$35/year on ebooks. Even including the hardware it is only $120/year. So, ebooks have saved me about 40% each year. (120/200 = 0.6) And that doesn't take into account the fact that my Voyage is only 3 months old, so I can reasonably expect it to last another 4+ years with no out of pocket expenses associated with it.

Looked at another way, the 5.3 years I have had my Kindle would have been worth $1060 in paper books and I have only spent $640 of that, so I have saved $420.

January's results would have been:
Paper: $1000
E-stuff: $400
So, $600 or 60% saved.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I honestly don't know, with ereaders I tend to upgrade pretty often (the ereader companies love me), but I tend to sell off the previous device to pay toward the new one. So yes I have spent a fair deal on ereaders, but that total gets taken down a fair few notches since in essence I've traded in the old device toward the new one.

With ebooks, I tend to bargain hunt and/or buy with gift cards that are given to me.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's actually not easy to answer. I have a couple of iPads that I use to read ebooks, but I also use them for a lot of other things, so how to assign the price? Also, do you mean over the years? I've been reading ebooks since around 1998 or so. That means that I've bought quite a few devices that I use to read eBooks, starting with the old palm pilot.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have spent $128 on ereaders.
Over that on ebooks. Now you have me curious.

Back. Just from Amazon, since 2011 I have picked up 10,154 digital items. Mostly books.
I have spent approximately $253.43.
That is an average of 2.4 cents per item.
Note most of those were in 2013 and I am not going through 5035 digital items to get a total for that year.
Dear Lord! I hope they end up being worth more than you paid for them.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Dear Lord! I hope they end up being worth more than you paid for them.
I have found that about 50% of the freebies were not worth what I paid for them.
Most expensive ebook was Atlas Shrugged. $14.06.
Best money spent was $2.99 for Maggie Ingles Cuban Comfort Foods. Her Quatros Leches cake is to die for.

Oh and I found 2 orders that had no price and no recipient.
I know one of those books Amazon pulled due to trademark violations.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-02-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #10
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
All but one of my ereaders were bought used or refurbished. The other one was bought at a substantial discount.

I rarely spend more than $5 for an ebook, usually less, and a lot were free.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I couldn't even begin to add up devices (Palm's, Pocket PC's, Tablets, eInk) over the many years. Books would be hard too. I've lost access to books bought years ago (and purchase histories) from Peanut Press and countless other small stores and don't have purchase records for a lot of the really old (pre-eInk era) stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 AM   #12
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I have been spending about twice the value of ereader on the ebooks every year since last four years I bought my first device. But I was still satisfied, as I had been spending much more on pbooks every year before then. It is only this year that I have controlled my book buying habits. Of course, I collected and read a lot many freebies, but I am afraid to say that 90% of freebies were worthless or not up to the mark.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I couldn't even begin to add up devices (Palm's, Pocket PC's, Tablets, eInk) over the many years. Books would be hard too. I've lost access to books bought years ago (and purchase histories) from Peanut Press and countless other small stores and don't have purchase records for a lot of the really old (pre-eInk era) stuff.
Mostly this. I've no idea what those Frankling Ebookmans were, or those PDA's I've bought for reading ebooks.

I probably did spend more money on ebook readers than ebooks themselves, but most ebook readers (or devices that were mainly used for reading ebooks) were not only bought because they were ebooks readers, but also because I have a minor touch of gadget lust...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh and I found 2 orders that had no price and no recipient.
I know one of those books Amazon pulled due to trademark violations.
Did Amazon refund the money you paid for the book?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted for 2x as much on ereaders. My main cost for ebooks are libraries, for which I pay 2 X $50 annually. I'm too lazy to figure out how much my local library costs annually.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote