Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 03:55 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Formatting to Send to Kindle

I was able to send to kindle via the app on my desktop but when it stopped taking .mobi files I attempted to send the .epubs but I keep getting a message saying that the file is incompatable and it won't send.

I have been sending the .epubs that are "incompatible" through my email directly to my kindles, and they have shown up, but I noticed that I got a bunch of emails from AMazon saying that although I can read the books on my devices

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service. We are reaching out to let you know that a document, sent to your Kindle at 09:13 AM on Wed, Nov 13, 2019 GMT, contains incompatible elements for Kindle format conversion. We’ve still delivered the document so that you can read it with Kindle, but in its current format it won’t support the latest Kindle features for documents, including Kindle Scribe handwriting features.

To make document(s) compatible with Kindle format conversion:

Split large tables into several smaller tables, align the direction of text in the tables, and remove drop-caps in the tables.
Remove multi-media content such as audio, video, and SVG images.
Remove mathematical equations.
Remove images that contain linear gradients.
Remove password protection or any other security settings.
Remove any footnotes inside footnotes.
Check the document can be opened on a computer.
Make sure the document doesn’t have more than 8,000 pages.
Try sending the document again via Send to Kindle for Web.

To learn more about converting documents to a Kindle format, please visit our help page. By downloading or using Send to Kindle, you agree to the terms here.

Regards,
Amazon Kindle Support "

I a ton of these emails last night because I sent to my Kindle Scribe, which I haven't opened up because it's misplaced at the moment, so I can't see what it is that is giving me problems.

Is it possible that the Cover Jacket is causing the problems? It has a box with text in it.

Also, why aren't my .epubs being able to directly be sent to kindle using the app? They are the "old" epubs.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A few ideas:
  • Run epubcheck on it
  • Check for errors using Calibre Edit
  • Install Kindle Previewer 3 and see what it complains about - it seems to complain about the same things as STK service for the most part.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 07:00 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the Kindle Previewer 3? Is it a plugin? - and I read somewhere on reddit that if you convert from epub to mobi and back to epub it works, which is a pain. I ended up resending them and they went through, it's just that NO epubs at ALL are ever able to send to kindle unless it's by email.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:55 PM   #4
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
NO epubs at ALL are ever able to send to kindle unless it's by email.
Kindles do not support epubs in any way. It is not possible to read an epub on a Kindle.

What actually happens when you send by email is that Amazon takes the epub and converts it to something a Kindle can read and then sends it to your Kindle, you aren't actually sending an epub directly to a Kindle even if it seems that way.

--
jmurphy
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:55 PM   #5
Rellwood

Yes, but sending to Kindle via email can support Epubs, but they convert them. The send to kindle desktop app refuses to use .mobi anymore and it won't take epubs either. It's only useful for dox, html, and pdf.
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #6
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
A few ideas:
  • Run epubcheck on it
  • Check for errors using Calibre Edit
  • Install Kindle Previewer 3 and see what it complains about - it seems to complain about the same things as STK service for the most part.
Got the previewer and it's great at finding books that won't convert! THanks!
Old 04-26-2024, 09:41 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, but sending to Kindle via email can support Epubs, but they convert them. The send to kindle desktop app refuses to use .mobi anymore and it won't take epubs either. It's only useful for dox, html, and pdf.
Odd. I've been sending ePubs to Send to Kindle for quite a while with no issues. Admittedly, all my ePubs that are sent are run through epubcheck and any errors are corrected. Same workflow as I use for working on ebooks to be sent to KDP.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:32 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... The send to kindle desktop app refuses to use .mobi anymore and it won't take epubs either. It's only useful for dox, html, and pdf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Odd. I've been sending ePubs to Send to Kindle for quite a while with no issues. Admittedly, all my ePubs that are sent are run through epubcheck and any errors are corrected. Same workflow as I use for working on ebooks to be sent to KDP.
Ditto DNSB. I send epubs via the Send-to-Kindle desktop app (for Mac) all the time with no issues. Have been doing so since this feature became available (early 2023??). Also like DNSB, I run my epubs through epubcheck and correct errors before using Send to Kindle.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote