Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Eoaka
Eoaka began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Can't open books, suspect xdg-open

Hi, I hope this finds you well.

I'm having trouble opening books, any books, on calibre 2.49 on OpenSUSE Leap with XFCE. I get the following error message:

Failed to open URI "file:///home/james/Calibre%20Library/Unknown/the%20c%20book%20(2)".

Error when getting information for file '/home/james/Calibre%20Library/Unknown/the%20c%20book%20(2)': No such file or directory.

The same thing happens for epubs and pdfs.

Now I'm pretty sure it's related to xdg-open passing along %20 instead of handling the spaces properly. I found this post on this forum from a few years ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15 Unfortunately this is referencing LXDE not XFCE, and xdg-open seems to have changed anyway.

uname-a: Linux linux-svb1 4.1.20-11-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 18 14:42:07 UTC 2016 (0a392b2) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've searched around for this quite a bit before asking. Also maybe I should be filing a bug report somewhere, since this is a vanilla install from the repos for both xdg-utils and Calibre. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by Eoaka; 05-07-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Eoaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoaka View Post
Hi, I hope this finds you well.

I'm having trouble opening books, any books, on calibre 2.49 on OpenSUSE Leap with XFCE. I get the following error message:

Failed to open URI "file:///home/james/Calibre%20Library/Unknown/the%20c%20book%20(2)".

Error when getting information for file '/home/james/Calibre%20Library/Unknown/the%20c%20book%20(2)': No such file or directory.

The same thing happens for epubs and pdfs.

Now I'm pretty sure it's related to xdg-open passing along %20 instead of handling the spaces properly. I found this post on this forum from a few years ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15 Unfortunately this is referencing LXDE not XFCE, and xdg-open seems to have changed anyway.

uname-a: Linux linux-svb1 4.1.20-11-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 18 14:42:07 UTC 2016 (0a392b2) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've searched around for this quite a bit before asking. Also maybe I should be filing a bug report somewhere, since this is a vanilla install from the repos for both xdg-utils and Calibre. Thanks in advance for your time!
Uninstall the repos version of calibre and use the official calibre binary installer.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
Quote:
Please do not use your distribution provided calibre package, as those are often buggy/outdated. Instead use the Binary install described below.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I gave up on xdg-open a long time ago. Now in all my system, I just replace it with my own 100 line implementation. I suggest you do the same. Trying to get xdg-open to work with anything other than the major desktop environments is an exercise in needless frustration.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This problem is completely unrelated to calibre.

Assuming your distro has the latest version of XFCE in their repos, you'll need to file a bug report for XFCE upstream, to get them to fix their dedicated file opener (exo-open) so it accepts urlencoded file:/// links.
(calibre uses Qt's native functions for opening files, which simply pass urlencoded file:/// urls to xdg-open -- this is basic UI toolkit file management at its finest. )

AFAIK this was supposed to be fixed here and here, so unless they had another regression, this is your distro's fault for being out-of-date.
(And a thread on MobileRead, here.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-08-2016 at 12:19 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Eoaka

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it!
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Eoaka

Sorry to bump this, but I wanted to post my solution in case anyone else runs into this.

For whatever reason openSUSE is behind with exo-open on both tumbleweed and leap. To get around this I built exo-0.10.7 from source, installed exo-open and and everything works.