Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #61
Drago81
Drago81 began at the beginning.

Device: SNE-60
Some one has luck to install update for SNE-60 ? I had still "no file exists"
Drago81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #62
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
Alanis writes: This will sound a bit mad, but try loading the files on and just waiting for a few days, trying to open them every now and then.

I kept trying to sync epub files that were easily readable on my kobo, but which for whatever reason, were visible on the computer [ie actually on the sne -60] but just not opening!! Perhaps I could try the mad-alanis method, you know, until the battery runs out.

I could try to drag the files to another location on the device, and see if that makes a difference...

Drago81, if the info pbarratte has provided hasn't helped, here's how I downloaded and installed the lastest 1012.0 update from the Korean Samsung site...

Once the file has *synced*, and has turned your device Korean, go to *settings* [home page, right hand bottom row?], and select the first heading to turn your device back to English!!!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf sne-60 updates.pdf (443.8 KB, 658 views)
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #63
Krap
Krap began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60
Successfull French update process - E60 hacking tips and questions

Drago,
I just updated my reader from french version 1000.1 or 1001.0, not sure (initial device firmware as sold in Carrefour shops). I downloaded the latest (1002.0) version from the (hard to find) link provided by pbarette (http://www.samsung.com/fr/support/de...sub_class_cd=P).

Then, the steps are simple :
- unzip it
- copy the extracted E60FR-CP.bin file (not the zip) to the Firmware Updates directory on the reader
- eject the usb device cleanly (this is of course absolutely mandatory to ensure the update file is consistent and will not break your reader)
- on the device, from the main menu, go to "Paramètres", "Support", "MAJ micrologiciel", it will show that a new version is ready - giving you current and new versions - and ask if you really want to proceed.
- click ok, and wait a few seconds (maybe around one minute)
- you're done !

Si tu as besoin de plus d'aide en français, n'hésites pas ;-)

Now a new question for people who already "dived" into the update process : do you know where and how in the update file is stored the version information (not the "magic" depending on country, but the 1012.0 or so on information).
I'd like to play a bit with the updates (since my request around 2 weeks ago, Samsung released some bits of code - not as complete as i'd like, though -, and the tool to finish building an update image (assemble the kernel and the root squashfs images into the final update binary) - see there if interested : http://opensource.samsung.com/ in TV/Vidéo section ;-)).
I want to begin with no or less risks (proof of concept), so just add a bit of script or something that can "prove" my update is done and i access the system, maybe open a telnet or ssh connection, no too dangerous application changes (the main applications source is not provided...). But the problem is that i don't know how to update the version number, so that the device agrees to update (don't want to update to same version number...)

Last question, do anybody know what the korean updates adds (or remove) to previous ones ? There seems to be absolutely no "release notes" or whatever on Samesung sites...

Tips : as you can think of, the E60 embeds a full web browser, even if not having the url bar restricts its usage to your seller's bookshop. But the connection settings includes proxy
So, a few lines of ruby for examples, could provide a full proxy with an "unfair" redirection when your bookshop is accessed, to www.google.com, for example. Still not able to enter a "direct" URL, but the full web is yours (even gmail works, in full version - gtalk included as far as i tested) - well, with a few graphic blinks and a few other glitches.

Example script :

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby

require 'webrick/httpproxy'

class WEBrick::HTTPRequest
  def update_uri(uri)
    if uri.include? 'emb-carrefour'
      uri='http://www.google.fr/'
    end
    @request_uri = parse_uri(uri)
  end
end

req_cb=Proc.new do |req,res|
  req.update_uri(req.unparsed_uri)
  puts "URI : #{req.unparsed_uri}"
end

s=WEBrick::HTTPProxyServer.new :Port => 8080, :RequestCallback => req_cb
trap("INT"){s.shutdown}
s.start
Start this script on your PC, set your proxy settings on E60 to your PC's IP, port 8080 (should be open in your firewall, of course), and you're done.

Oh, by the way, using the "send file" button of any web site - attach a file in gmail, for example - give you a file open dialog with the ability to explore the whole device ;-) - Not very handy, but works !
Krap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #64
Krap

Just saw the SamsungExtract program from pbarrette gave the version number. So, pbarrette, could you please provide us with your source code (even if it's dirty, this is not a problem !)
Thank you !
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #65
Krap

Ok, i was too impatient, i did a bit of reverse engineering on your code. ;-)
I found the version, and the crc positions ; i was able to alter an image to make it validate with your tool, and it's also recognized by my device. I'm too afraid, though, to try a real update.
Do anybody know if there's some kind of jtag or other hardware way to repair the device if it "bricks" on an invalid update (or if an update is broken and don't provide a valid way to install another update) ?
The hardware seems pretty simple to disassemble as far as i tried, but i have really few electronics skills...
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #66
pbarrette
pbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with otherspbarrette plays well with others

Device: ASUS EeeNote
Hi Krap,

I've done no cleanup, but the source is here:
http://www.peterbarrette.com/Samsung...act_Source.zip

The source code is pretty much just slapped together in C#.NET with VS2008, but the comments contain the header information I was able to figure out.

I don't have an E60, so I'm unable to help you in the hardware department. The main app does have the bookstore URL in plain text, so you may be able to edit the URL so you don't have to use a proxy.

I did notice that the Italian firmware seems to have some dictionary files that the French and Korean firmware files don't include. I don't know if that means additional functionality or not though.

I have also been trying to run the kernel in the Skyeye ARM simulator, but haven't had much luck yet.

The MainApp program seems interesting since it appears to contain all of the code necessary to read additional file types like .cbr, but doesn't appear to recognize the file extensions. By the way, it disassembles quite easily in IDA if you want to have a look at the internals.

If you do open it up, please take some high resolution images that include any unsoldered headers and chip numbers. That would make it easier to find a JTAG or serial port that could be used for unbricking.

pb
pbarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #67
jack-racer
jack-racer began at the beginning.

Device: SNE60
Hi
I think I am in the same case as Drago81. I bought by mistake in Airport a Dutch version and I would like to upgrade to the 1002 version in french but as the dutch version does not recognize the file it does not allow the upgrade with the E60FR-CP.bin file

I have got current this version M-EB06S6NL-1001.2. It is not great to link to Dutch library and Dutch Web site.

Krap, any good idea to solve this?
jack-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #68
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Someone will give you some clues, hopefully !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #69
Krap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-racer View Post
Hi
I bought by mistake in Airport a Dutch version and I would like to upgrade to the 1002 version in french but as the dutch version does not recognize the file it does not allow the upgrade with the E60FR-CP.bin file

Krap, any good idea to solve this?
I just checked on the Dutch Samsung site, there are right now no updates available. Without one, it would be really hard to find the "magic number", and so to build a new firmware image from the french one...

Of course, you could always try any combination for this 4-bytes (32-bits) number, that will make you try up to 4294967295 update trials

For now, you could :
- wait for a Dutch upgrade and try to build a new french image with correct magic (and with a little risk, since you'll be the first one to test that ;-) ) ; of course, you could use the Samsuns support by asking for new feature or making bug reports, to have them upgrade the firmware
- ask Samsung support explaining the problem ; maybe they could provide you with a specific image (in this case, please, send it !), or make an exchange procedure, ...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #70
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
yeah...and the conversation would go something like..."sure thing fella! we've got an update in the works which should be ready to go in a week...", but when two weeks pass and you call again, a different dude says..."oh, sorry about that; we have no news on whether an update is being created..."

you gotta love samsung's commitment to groovy web pages that do everything *but* support the sne-60

Last edited by singingbird; 10-13-2010 at 08:09 AM.
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #71
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Any news about the Samsung E65 ? it's for sell here in France apparently (http://www.boulanger.fr/webapp/wcs/s...EntryId=383930), but I can't find any relevant info (what type of screen, dictionary, wikipedia access, etc).
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #72
laure_f_o
laure_f_o began at the beginning.

Hello all,

I just buy a SNE-60 in France, my current firm is 1000.1 and I have the 1002.0 from samsung.fr and the 1013.0 from Korean. My questions are,

The 1013.0 is newer but is compatible with mine?
Can I put the language in English or Spanish like my current version?
What happen with the dictionary, now I have french-english.
What are the improvements of the new version?

Thanks all.
laure_f_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #73
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I just bought the E60 as well. Where did you get the firmware upgrade from ? I cannot find it on Samsing website (apart from the 1013 Korean which will not be helpfull to me I guess ^^. Did you try to upgrade directly from the reader ?
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #74
laure_f_o
laure_f_o began at the beginning.

Hello, I upgraded to 1002 french version, because mine is french, you can download from

http://www.samsung.com/fr/support/de...sub_class_cd=P

I very happy with it, I bought in Carrefour in france, and now you have a 100€ off plus the offer from Samsung of 50€ you pay only 99€, It is a very very good price and the ebook is quite good. From my point of view is one of the best now and the writting is quite natural.

Regards.
laure_f_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #75
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I found the same link but was a bit concerned about the category where it's been listed (lcd screen ...).

No change log for this upgrade, what a pity !

Anyone has found a case / cover for it ? Because it is thicker than other reader, I find it difficult to find one ...

Thanks anyway

Cheers !
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote