Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
CommanderCute
CommanderCute began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for the best premium e-reader

Hey guys,

currently I'm using the Kindle Oasis from my girlfriend and I quite like it.

But I'm not a big Amazon fan and I have a lot of epubs and want an open system and don't want to be locked in to the Kindle world.

So I'm looking for an e-reader for myself:

- Build quality is quite important to me, I want something that feels "expensive", premium and well built

- Screen size shouldn't be smaller than the oasis

- I need warm/yellow light adjustment because I'm reading quite often in the dark and in the night and I love this feature on all my devices

- And of course a crisp screen. I read that even with 300ppi some e-readers have a dull screen, that's a no go

- Speakers, storage etc. is not important. Neither is the prize.
So which is the best e-reader you guys can recommend me?

Thanks a lot for your help
CommanderCute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 04:35 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Sage fits your requirements. Kobo Libra 2 also for the most part, but it feels a bit more plasticky/cheaper and is a bit slower than the Sage.

Both the Sage and the Libra 2 have good, sharp screens (better than the Oasis 3 - I compared them). Especially the Libra, which has one of the very best eink screens currently in use.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2023, 05:04 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderCute View Post
So I'm looking for an e-reader for myself:

- Build quality is quite important to me, I want something that feels "expensive", premium and well built

- Screen size shouldn't be smaller than the oasis

- I need warm/yellow light adjustment because I'm reading quite often in the dark and in the night and I love this feature on all my devices

- And of course a crisp screen. I read that even with 300ppi some e-readers have a dull screen, that's a no go

- Speakers, storage etc. is not important. Neither is the prize.
So which is the best e-reader you guys can recommend me?
Best premium reader?
Boox Tab Mini C, 300dpi(bw), 150dpi(color) - best screen and refresh among smaller (<10 inch) eInk devices.
Android 11, 4/64 GB, 8 core CPU.
It is a reader and a small note device.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 07-05-2023 at 05:24 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Sage fits your requirements. Kobo Libra 2 also for the most part, but it feels a bit more plasticky/cheaper and is a bit slower than the Sage.

Both the Sage and the Libra 2 have good, sharp screens (better than the Oasis 3 - I compared them). Especially the Libra, which has one of the very best eink screens currently in use.
I'd agree 100% with Sirtel.

I have many ereaders and Sage is best unless you want smaller and no note option, in which case the Libra 2 is best.

Kobo integrates best with Calibre. I think an Android based eink is only worth while if you either use lots of library/borrowing apps, or don't want/can't be bothered to remove DRM from bought ebooks.
I have Android (Boyue, like Meebook), Kindle, Sony, Kobo and Y-Ben and had iRiver, Nook, Binatone and reMarkable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd agree 100% with Sirtel.

I have many ereaders and Sage is best unless you want smaller and no note option, in which case the Libra 2 is best.
You cannot compare those with Boox Tab Mini C
Quote:
Kobo integrates best with Calibre.
No, it is Calibre Companion - an Android App
Quote:
I think an Android based eink is only worth while if you either use lots of library/borrowing apps, or don't want/can't be bothered to remove DRM from bought ebooks.
I have Android (Boyue, like Meebook), Kindle, Sony, Kobo and Y-Ben and had iRiver, Nook, Binatone and reMarkable.
But you cannot compare it with Boox Tab Series with the superior screen refresh behavior.

I know almost all devices (except NOOK) - none of them can even remotely keep up with the Boox Tab devices in screen terms; but they also have their price.
Advert
Old 07-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No, it is Calibre Companion - an Android App
Calibre Companion is abandonware so no support if you have issues and going by the Calibre Companion forum, there have been quite a few issues. And, yes, you will need to be running calibre to make use of Calibre Companion.

The Kaleido 3 screen displays 4096 colours at 150DPI, the colours are best described as washed out and the screen background is much darker than eInk's B&W modules, I can't see any real reason for recommending the BOOX Tab Mini C as an ereader.

And for the BOOX's $450 US price, you could get an eInk ereader and an decent Android tablet for when colour is a necessity.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You cannot compare those with Boox Tab Mini CNo, it is Calibre Companion - an Android AppBut you cannot compare it with Boox Tab Series with the superior screen refresh behavior.

I know almost all devices (except NOOK) - none of them can even remotely keep up with the Boox Tab devices in screen terms; but they also have their price.
It's your opinion that Android eink tablets are superior to everything else. Other people have different opinions. No, Android tablets are not necessarily better for everyone, even if you think they are.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Calibre Companion is abandonware
Yes and? But everything works.
Quote:
so no support if you have issues and going by the Calibre Companion forum, there have been quite a few issues.
That's long gone
Quote:
And, yes, you will need to be running calibre to make use of Calibre Companion.
Yes, but only for book transfer
Quote:
The Kaleido 3 screen displays 4096 colours at 150DPI, the colours are best described as washed out and the screen background is much darker than eInk's B&W modules,
There is something like lighting for that and it makes the screen clearer than anything I've seen on eInk displays.
Quote:
I can't see any real reason for recommending the BOOX Tab Mini C as an ereader.
Ever since I got it I've only used this one - and I have a lot of devices; no one can compete with that
Quote:
And for the BOOX's $450 US price, you could get an eInk ereader and an decent Android tablet for when colour is a necessity.
Quality comes at a price and the color is just a dot on the i - what really makes the screen stand out from the rest is the Boox GPU used, which even allows for video viewing (may appear in epub 3).
And with a color Android tablet you can admire yourself outside.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
No, Android tablets are not necessarily better for everyone,
These are the ones who have little idea but are completely convinced of themselves, or for some it is enough that something is somehow displayed.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
These are the ones who have little idea but are completely convinced of themselves.
That also goes for you.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:32 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
That also goes for you.
With a huge difference - I know what the other manufacturers are doing (except NOOK)

Last edited by ottischwenk; 07-05-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:41 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With a huge difference - I know what the other manufacturers are doing (except NOOK)
But you don't know what other people want from their ereaders or what their priorities are. You think everyone wants the same as you do. So your claim that Android tablets are the best option for anyone and everyone is just that, a claim which ignores everyone's opinions and preferences but your own.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
But you don't know what other people want from their ereaders or what their priorities are. You think everyone wants the same as you do. So your claim that Android tablets are the best option for anyone and everyone is just that, a claim which ignores everyone's opinions and preferences but your own.
No - but I know that everyone wants the best possible screen, except for those who don't care.
And this screen control is only available in Boox Tab devices.

If someone says that this or that is the best screen, then they prove that they know very little about it.

Apart from that, the thread creator wanted:
Quote:
Looking for the best premium e-reader
And Kobo devices really aren't - they're quite nice if you don't have major requirements, but nothing more than that.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 07-05-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:14 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No - but I know that everyone wants the best possible screen, except for those who don't care.
And this screen control is only available in Boox Tab devices.
The best screen is certainly not the only thing people want, nor is it always the most important factor.
Quote:
If someone says that this or that is the best screen, then they prove that they know very little about it.
You were the one who said that.
Quote:
Apart from that, the thread creator wanted:And Kobo devices really aren't
In your opinion. In the opinion of many other people, they are.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
In your opinion.
No - it is a fact that they are just so cheaply or poorly built that the ignorant hardly notice it.

This also applies to Tolino

Last edited by ottischwenk; 07-05-2023 at 01:27 PM.