Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's been one case where the fake registration needed to be changed because something changed between firmware versions. This could happen again.

The thing is, if you go to the library to get an eBook or you buy an eBook, youve given out your information. So why do you need to have the Reader fake registered? You don't. It's paranoia. Besides, if you have a bank account and/or credit card, you've given more information about yourself then Kobo ever would get.
It's worked out well for me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
There's been one case where the fake registration needed to be changed because something changed between firmware versions. This could happen again.
Hmmm.... As I remember the details for editing the database for a fake registration have changed multiple times especially with major version firmware updates. Once the fake registration is done, there is a chance that a fake registered device will trigger a critical error and factory reset.

So basically, use a fake email address and no worries or hack the SQLite database and live in dread of a firmware update.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2020, 03:51 AM   #48
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And that's the difference between you and most of the other longtime ereader fans here. For the majority of that group, there's no difference in enjoying a paper book or an ebook, or they actually enjoy the ebook more. You, on the other hand, draw a pretty sharp line between the two. You value the paper book experience more. So if you say the native UI of a dedicated ereader is poor, that reflects only your specific preferences, which are not very common here on MR.
Perhaps - but I have never seen a standard application used in a reader that allows easy management of my ebook library, which contains more than 13,000 books - where I can set according to certain sorting criteria (author, tags, series, ...)
I only know Caliber Companion. Apart from that, very few devices offer the necessary space.
Furthermore, I would like to be able to determine in the reading application what the device has to do if I touch it at a certain point. And I don't want to have to adjust to the absurd thoughts of the manufacturers, because I most likely hold the device differently than they thought. So I read wrong landscape format in two columns.
A device has to do what and how I want it - otherwise it is unusable for me.
And that applies to all standard ebook readers.
The only exception is Tolino with its underlying Android - it is easy to install suitable applications for it via sideloading.
I don't want to have to adapt to a device, I want to adapt a device to my preferences and needs as much as possible.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:56 AM   #49
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
However, just to pretend not to go too off topic: paper books don't have privacy problems.
If OP's opinion is anything to go by, I am highly enjoying the discussion here. If I were a moderator I would allow it. We are humans after all and great discussions can come from unrelated topics and so on.
Will finish reading the posts and comment a little bit on the posts that were relevant.
EDIT: By the way. Paper books do have a privacy problem. It is very hard to hide what you are reading from other people unless you read only in the privacy of your home.

Question: Does Pocketbook, Tolino or Kobo support disk encryption? I only know Hisense does.

Last edited by Tar; 05-28-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #50
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

Do any ereaders support file/disk encryption?

Could be important to people who take notes or read prohibited/censored literature in some countries.
Advert
Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #51
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar View Post

Could be important to people who take notes or read prohibited/censored literature in some countries.
I could imagine that encryption apps could take over these functions
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #52
Tar

Quote:
Hisense? Why? It's just junk IMHO.
Why? Also Hisense A5 Pro is not out yet so maybe it will not be junk by your standards even if A5 was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
However, just to pretend not to go too off topic: paper books don't have privacy problems.
Ah, but paper books are very hard to hide from prying eyes. One can glance at you and see what you are reading. Not so much with electronic books. You can also easily 'hide' an electronic book if someone approaches, while paper book might require a backpack/bag to do so.

There are three scenarios (luckily all rare) where that matters:
1. If you live in a country where you wish to read a book that is against the law. Imagine reading some atheist/secular/critical paper book publicly in Saudi Arabia.
2. The book you wish to read is highly controversial and would make people around you suspicious/agressive/judgemental/upset. Imagine reading gay sex fantasy books in a Catholic university.
3. My case. I just feel good by being able to better keep a secret about myself or my activities. Harmless feel good is good, right?

Quote:
The thing is, if you go to the library to get an eBook or you buy an eBook, youve given out your information. So why do you need to have the Reader fake registered? You don't. It's paranoia. Besides, if you have a bank account and/or credit card, you've given more information about yourself then Kobo ever would get.
I don't plan to either borrow ir buy books and don't own a bank account.
I also don't own a smartphone. And my computer presence is somewhat privacy-friendly, although I admit there are limits and 100% privacy being respected is an illusion. Still, if you can feed one hungry child out of millions, shouldn't you?
I don't think lack of privacy in some areas are enough arguments for lack of privacy in others. I also don't believe privacy is something that needs to be justified. Maybe it's a principle, or a genuine mental issue, or maybe a person just feels cozy when their idea of privacy is met. Or maybe they work for the Mongolian secret service and love to read intelligence reports on epaper without risking a chance of their information leaking to Kobo or Amazon. Okay bad example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I understand the desire for absolute privacy, but at times it can become a hindrance. If a one-time registration gives you access to a device with overall better features, just make an account with a disposable email address, register and get on with your life.
I understand. What you write is pragmatic.
But doing so would go a bit against my principles. Consequently it would make me feel bad about it and it would make things happen that I prefer not to happen with purchasd product.
And I tend to think about purchases as a means of supporting something. So if would support companies and products that I think are flawed in aspects important to me - instead of those who don't have those flaws - it would make my principles/beliefs a bit meaningless. It's a bit like some people not buying the fruits of child labour or not shopping at shops that donate to abortion clinics etc. So I guess it's a bit of activism. I understand how debatable this rationale is, but feel free to share your input if you will.

Another reason for avoiding even such "small" hindrances as required registration:
The fact that registration, even if fake, is REQUIRED tells me two things:
1. There may be other things that the manufacturer thinks are REQUIRED which might be repulsive to me.
2. The manufacturer thinks I'm an idiot who needs to be guided away from making a "mistake" or not registering so they don't even provide that option.

In short, this small thing, required registration, shows their product philosophy, their view on manufacturer-client(in this case, serviceprovider-client, because they don't just manufacture it but retain their presence after purchase) relation and how they view their clients in general.

I hope I did not come off as too argumentative. I really love and respect all your views on this by 100%! I think you are very pragmatic and I am definitely overthinking. I can even fully agree that my 'needs' could be called silly.

By the way I love all the off topic discussion lines in this thread. We are humans after all and alive discussions are great.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #53
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Indent may have advantages in justification, but justification cannot be shown correctly by readers
Readers cannot compensate for the font width, as happens with paper. The spaces have to be changed in width and this inhibits the flow of reading.
And for left-aligned paragraphs, first line indentation makes no sense.
However, paragraph spacing!
Exactly this. If you use a larger font size, fully justified text leads to large spaces between words, and makes it very hard to read (at least for me).

I don't go so far as to edit every book I read to be left aligned, because I just don't have time for that. It *is* my preferred way of reading, though.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar View Post

I doubt the SoC's used in ereaders are capable of doing full disk encryption in a timely manner.

If you want encryption, you'd need smartphone, tablet or PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I could imagine that encryption apps could take over these functions
Has to be native else, you won't be able to read your books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #55
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I doubt the SoC's used in ereaders are capable of doing full disk encryption in a timely manner.
If you want encryption, you'd need smartphone, tablet or PC.
A Qualcom 625 (Boox Android 9 devices) should be able to do so.
But I didnt find any OS Integration.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #56
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I don't plan to either borrow ir buy books and don't own a bank account.
From where are you getting your books? The only alternatives are downloading from piracy sites.

How many people live in a total cash environment? It's not feasible for the vast majority of those living in developed countries.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #57
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
From where are you getting your books? The only alternatives are downloading from piracy sites.
Oh no, you can write, paint, scan - create your own books.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #58
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Oh no, you can write, paint, scan - create your own books.
Well alrighty then.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tar, why is it that you are so paranoid as to not have a bank account? To be honest, you won't do well with a Reader unless you plan on stealing eBooks or reading just public domain or creative commons eBooks.

You aren't borrowing or buying eBooks. Are you planing on stealing them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #60
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Exactly this. If you use a larger font size, fully justified text leads to large spaces between words, and makes it very hard to read (at least for me).

I don't go so far as to edit every book I read to be left aligned, because I just don't have time for that. It *is* my preferred way of reading, though.
That is exactly the reason why I do not want to have an attempted copy of a paper book on a reader.
The reader cannot. He cannot compensate for the font widths - what he does is change the space widths and I find the result just horrible, it disturbs my reading flow so much that I have to read word for word instead of taking a block at once.
And I don't enjoy reading this.
With the layout I chose, it works again.
It doesn't look nice, but neither does a pBook simulation.