Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

Getting through a book quickly is rarely my goal. I read for enjoyment, not to see how quickly I can "receive" the words.
Exactly.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #32
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which reading apps can you install on a Tolino (latest versions) that are not garbage (garbage is when the app doesn't respect CSS)?
Im using on my Tolinos Calibre Companion and AlReader.
But before I delete ein Calibre most of formattings.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I find a paper book layout in the reader horrible.
With the layout I chose, I take a page with two looks (20-30 seconds).
So I receive a novel with app 1000 pages in about 5 to 7 hours.
Oh yes, I read on a 7.8 inch eInk tablet in two columns in landscape format.
With this paper book I need a lot longer - but my senses distract me from the action.
Before Readers, did you read pBooks? When you read pBooks before reading eBooks, did you find the layout to be not what you wanted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #34
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, but you enjoy it?
Yes.
Quote:

I prefer a serif font, no spaces between paragraphs, and full justification. I am ok with left align and a ragged right, but a space between each paragraph will send me right out the book. Seriously. I won't read a book that is formatted that way.

Getting through a book quickly is rarely my goal. I read for enjoyment, not to see how quickly I can "receive" the words. And the style of writing effects how quickly a person can read. Page count means nothing really. Jane Eyre takes much more concentration than The Hunger Games.
As I wrote above, when I want to read a book, I pick up a book - I currently have about 20,000 of them in my library.
If I want to read a story, I pick up a reader, because I want to find out the story quickly and concentrated.
There are two completely different types of reading.
With the book I enjoy the book, with the reader only the action.
It has happened that I ended an ebook prematurely and bought the book, and vice versa that I scanned the book and created an ebook from it.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Im using on my Tolinos Calibre Companion and AlReader.
But before I delete ein Calibre most of formattings.
Does AlReader respect the CSS?
Advert
Old 05-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #36
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
20k books? Where in the world do you house them?

I don't have a distinction between "books" and "stories." My ebook copy of The Good Earth contains the same story as the paperback I used to own. I don't need the experience of a heavy hard to hold book, with too small of a font, and no screen light. I can't lose myself in the story when the actual process of reading is a physical struggle.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #37
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I was happy with paper books before buying the Kindle Paperwhite, but then I found that I liked reading much more with that. And I'm not just talking about saving or not having to find space for many books. The only thing I missed was a bigger screen and with the Kobo Aura One I remedied it.

However, just to pretend not to go too off topic: paper books don't have privacy problems.

Last edited by ps67; 05-27-2020 at 03:08 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #38
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
20k books? Where in the world do you house them?
I have a closed arcade 32 * 4 meters between 2 parts of the building and in it about 200 m2 of bookshelves and a very comfortable armchair for reading
Quote:
I don't have a distinction between "books" and "stories."
That in turn depends on my mood - if I just want to know the content, then I search for the story and then I take the reader
Quote:
My ebook copy of The Good Earth contains the same story as the paperback I used to own. I don't need the experience of a heavy hard to hold book, with too small of a font, and no screen light. I can't lose myself in the story when the actual process of reading is a physical struggle.
I would never read The Good Earth on a reader.
Not even Musil, Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften.
In these cases, I prefer to enjoy my library.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-27-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

However, just to pretend not to go too off topic: paper books don't have privacy problems.
Privacy problems with ereaders are vastly overrated. I mean, people spend most of their day online on their PCs/tablets/smartphones, they post their photos and opinions on social media and various forums for everyone to see, and then they come and complain that ereaders violate their privacy. Ridiculous. If you want total privacy, the first thing to do is get off the internet. But no, no one will do that, of course.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #40
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Why? Does Wang Lung not get married?

Quote:
You got me there, English is my one and only language. I'm just a 61 year old white women with a 12th grade education. But I am fairly good at reading between the lines, and can spot snobbery a mile away.

Carry on.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And that's the difference between you and most of the other longtime ereader fans here. For the majority of that group, there's no difference in enjoying a paper book or an ebook, or they actually enjoy the ebook more. You, on the other hand, draw a pretty sharp line between the two. You value the paper book experience more. So if you say the native UI of a dedicated ereader is poor, that reflects only your specific preferences, which are not very common here on MR.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #42
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
* I would like to use the device in paranoid mode. As in, I wish to never use WIFI, if it's there. So no downloading/buying from stores or libraries. Just simple PC-to-ereader transfers strongly prefered. - I just don't get the paranoid mindset. But anyway, you need to register your device and you can then turn WiFi off forever. Kobo works very well with Calibre/PC-to-ereader transfers
It is not necessary to ever turn wifi on to convince a kobo ereader that it is registered.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I was happy with paper books before buying the Kindle Paperwhite, but then I found that I liked reading much more with that. And I'm not just talking about saving or not having to find space for many books. The only thing I missed was a bigger screen and with the Kobo Aura One I remedied it.
I used to read a lot of pBooks. But, I liked the idea of a Reader for being able to have many eBooks on the Reader. I would usually have two pBooks with me for when I finished the one I was reading, With the Reader, I could have more then two books with me. I didn't have a problem reading pBooks. I read mostly mass market paper back format eBooks.

Quote:
That's only if you go to a bookstore and buy the pBook using cash.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is not necessary to ever turn wifi on to convince a kobo ereader that it is registered.
There's been one case where the fake registration needed to be changed because something changed between firmware versions. This could happen again.

The thing is, if you go to the library to get an eBook or you buy an eBook, youve given out your information. So why do you need to have the Reader fake registered? You don't. It's paranoia. Besides, if you have a bank account and/or credit card, you've given more information about yourself then Kobo ever would get.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #45
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
I have a closed arcade 32 * 4 meters between 2 parts of the building and in it about 200 m2 of bookshelves and a very comfortable armchair for readingThat in turn depends on my mood - if I just want to know the content, then I search for the story and then I take the readerI would never read The Good Earth on a reader.
I was born in a house full of books. My parents were not rich but the money to buy books somehow was always found. And I have to thank my mother for this.

In the house where my father and brother live today there are thousands of books (3000? 4000? I can't even try to count them, 5 full bookcases with double-lined books and a couple of huge boxes).

But I never fell in love with the books themselves, but with the stories or concepts that were inside. And that's why I prefer ereaders to printed books today, also for difficult books.

I can change the font, its size, the intensity of lighting and its colour, the margins, there are the pop-up notes... Of course if there are important images or great maps I need the printed book, but it is only in this particular case that the experience with ereader is limited.

The only printed books that I would really love are the old ones, those of the 40s or more back.

Edit: I own some printed books that I like so much that I also bought the more satisfying ebook edition.

Last edited by ps67; 05-27-2020 at 05:31 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote