Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In other words, Amazon still isn't any more closed than Kobo... peoples, you can feel free to buy any ereader device you want without worrying about the "closed ecosystem"...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The MOBI/AZW3 format is just as much open as EPUB is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not so. Can you edit Mobi or AZW3 using just what comes with your OS? Nope. But you can ePub.

Yes, you can edit Mobi & KF8, but you need third party tools to do so. ePub just requires a text editor and a program that can ZIP/unZIP. So how can you say Mobi/KF8 is just as open when it's not?

[Unnecessary personal comment deleted - MODERATOR].
The real main reason that MOBI/AZW3 is closed is that Amazon has never released information on the format. Only by reverse engineering has anyone ever been able to create a file in this format, or by using Amazon and only Amazon tools. That is as closed as it gets. ePub is an open standard and well documented, available to all for free.

Dale

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-12-2015 at 12:34 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Um, yeah, and considering that the AZW3-calibre format, if you'd like to call it that, is fully compatible, your point is???

Let me point out the obvious to you, which I have already stated: a fully reverse-engineered proprietary format is a rather hollow claim. For all intents and purposes, besides for people who wish to sit in a circle and meditate on the nature of words, it is not a closed system.

The concept behind making a proprietary format is an attempt to prevent others from making their own tools to deal with such formats. Sometimes, they fail.

There is a legal and aboveboard reverse-engineered implementation of MOBI/AZW3 (actually more than one) which is an open format spec, and thus my AZW3-calibre files (byte-identical to your "pure" AZW3 files) are an open format.

I could just as easily say that some ZIP implementations are closed, therefore EPUB which is based off of ZIP is a closed format.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #49
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Let me point out the obvious to you, which I have already stated: a fully reverse-engineered proprietary format is a rather hollow claim. For all intents and purposes, besides for people who wish to sit in a circle and meditate on the nature of words, it is not a closed system.
Some of us believe that words have actual meanings, and not just the ones you want to assign to them.

Language: it's purpose is to communicate and not to twist so that you think you're winning a losing argument.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #50
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Isn't there a difference between a format and the drm? Epub is an open format. Mobi not (I'm no lawyer, but couldn't amazon just decide to forbid the use of mobi to anyone? Maybe not important for readers, but for authors who may wish to sell mobis through their own channels).
The ecosystems are of course all closed. Thats because in addition to the format there is drm.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Some of us believe that words have actual meanings, and not just the ones you want to assign to them.

Language: it's purpose is to communicate and not to twist so that you think you're winning a losing argument.
Would that explain why you claimed you refuse to buy a Kindle because Amazon is a closed ecosystem?
Neglecting to note that Kobo is also a closed ecosystem.

I believe I am being perfectly consistent, as I have stated my belief out in the open that any format for which there is a published spec is an open format, regardless of who used it first. Reverse-engineering is a perfectly valid way of breaking open a format.
Nor am I the only person to hold this opinion.

Which is more than I could say for you, getting indignant about closed systems and then buying a Kobo, which is a closed system.

Kobo
  1. sells DRMed books to the same extent Amazon does -- closed ecosystem.
  2. uses an internal proprietary and reverse-engineered (open to me, closed to you) KEPUB format.

I await your belated explanation for the disparity.
(I couldn't care less what you think, but please do not share your FUD with others.)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Isn't there a difference between a format and the drm? Epub is an open format. Mobi not (I'm no lawyer, but couldn't amazon just decide to forbid the use of mobi to anyone? Maybe not important for readers, but for authors who may wish to sell mobis through their own channels).
The ecosystems are of course all closed. Thats because in addition to the format there is drm.
Amazon is perfectly within their legal right to forbid the use of their own MOBI conversion implementation, as in fact they have done for the purpose of resale.
Neertheless, every DRM-free store sells MOBI, this is because there are multiple other implementations. Including one by Mobipocket, which cannot now be withdrawn.

It is difficult to keep a format closed. No license restricts the rights of people who obtained a MOBI from reverse-engineering it.

(And yes, the original statement I took exception to was about the DRM and the concept of "I won't give money to companies that use DRM, I refuse to use Alf to liberate my books, because I wish to make a stand against DRM" -- a worthwhile cause (but not one I care about) which unfortunately precludes buying from Kobo as well as Amazon, and also says nothing about reader hardware or format specs.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-12-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #53
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
There are no closed ecosystems in the real world AFAIK. Could be mistaken.
I could buy another reader or DeDRM books.
I have only epub readers at present as that is what I prefer, but nothing against the others. I can read almost any other format, even the defunct ones on my other devices without removing DRM. And I can, if I want to, remove the DRM.

Seems a silly thing to obsess about

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
There are no closed ecosystems in the real world AFAIK. Could be mistaken.
I could buy another reader or DeDRM books.
I have only epub readers at present as that is what I prefer, but nothing against the others. I can read almost any other format, even the defunct ones on my other devices without removing DRM. And I can, if I want to, remove the DRM.

Seems a silly thing to obsess about

Helen
You are assuredly looking at at least one closed system right now, and the law of averages says a minimum of three.
DRM is absolutely a closed ecosystem, that is rather the point.
The most famous closed ecosystem is Apple, for obvious reasons.

The issue at hand is someone proselytizing their Kobo by saying the Kobo store is an open ecosystem and the Amazon store isn't.
Such lies should certainly not be present in the dedicated forum for advising inexperienced individuals which should be their first ereader.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A closed system/walled garden is when you are FORCED to buy from just one shop when the eBook has DRM. That makes any Kindle eInk Reader part of a closed system/walled garden. An ePub capable Reader that can use Adept DRM is not closed/walled.

Please forget the fact that some of us can remove DRM and convert. That's irrelevant to the discussion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A closed system/walled garden is when you are FORCED to buy from just one shop when the eBook has DRM.
You might as well say ... "A closed system/walled garden is when you are FORCED to buy from one shop when the eBook is in KePub format."

The fact that you can download or buy mobi books from many different sources/vendors means that the Kindle system is not closed.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-12-2015 at 11:19 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You might as well say ... "A closed system/walled garden is when you are FORCED to buy from one shop when the eBook is in KePub format."

The fact that you can download or buy mobi books from many different sources/vendors means that the Kindle system is not closed.
But, you don't have to buy any kepub from Kobo if you don't want to. Kobo handles standard adept DRM. So buying or downloading as kepub is a choice that's not forced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #58
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
To paraphrase JSWolf:

But, you don't have to buy any azw from Amazon if you don't want to. Kindle handles standard mobi. So buying or downloading as azw is a choice that's not forced.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
To paraphrase JSWolf:

But, you don't have to buy any azw from Amazon if you don't want to. Kindle handles standard mobi. So buying or downloading as azw is a choice that's not forced.
"azw" is just a file extension; it's not a file type. Depending on what you use to download it, a file with an "azw" extension can be either a Mobi or a KF8 file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:22 AM   #60
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"azw" is just a file extension; it's not a file type. Depending on what you use to download it, a file with an "azw" extension can be either a Mobi or a KF8 file.
For all practical purposes, it is a file type. A mobi reader can read a mobi but not an azw that happens to be a mobi.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote