Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #31
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Just curious if anyone on here is getting both?
I'm tempted too but a) I want to see one first and that's not an option right now and b) I'd have to see my Aura and I don't know if I want to, sell my Aura that is, I like it, I always have.

The only reason I say I'd need to sell it is I have three ereaders now, buying both the Voyage and the H20 will give me 5 I did have 4 but I've just sold a PW1.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-06-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #32
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm tempted too but a) I want to see one first and that's not an option right now and b) I'd have to see my Aura and I don't know if I want to, sell my Aura that is, I like it, I always have.

The only reason I say I'd need to sell it is I have three ereaders now, buying both the Voyage and the H20 will give me 5 I did have 4 but I've just sold a PW1.
I know what you mean, I still have a few as well. I still have my kindle keyboard even. lol. I did get rid of my PW1 last year, but I still have the PW2 which I'm hanging on to.

I'd really like to compare both side by side. I'd love to have the H20 for reading in the tub and at the beach, but I love that the voyage has buttons and I like the kindle software. It's tough because both readers really seem excellent.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #33
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That's not normal for a Glo. Mine often sits for a month between uses in sleep mode with very little loss of power.

The H2O runs virtually identical firmware to the Glo, so basically what you can do on the Glo and how it works is the same with the H2O
Is that in standby or powered down, I leave mine in standby
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #34
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Is that in standby or powered down, I leave mine in standby
Sleep mode (which is standby). I just checked it and I know it hasn't been touched for 3 weeks because I know when I took it away last. It was in sleep mode and is still nicely above half charge. Don't know what it started at, but I know it wouldn't have been full because I was reading on it and didn't charge it since I got home.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's capacitative, and so is the Voyage. But since the Voyage has a higher PPI, maybe this won't matter.

Still I wonder how that will be, on the Voyage, as I think it must have the extra layer that the Aura has. The Aura is still perfectly readable in sunlight, but more tablet-like, too.
I think it's just the touch layer and surface material Kobo decided to use. I don't see this phenomenon on the PW1/2
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Relative to an unpatched Kobo, it's not bad at all. An unpatched Aura HD with a book that hasn't had it's CSS altered probably shows about the same amount of text as an a K4NT.

I have as much problem with the way the Kindle handles margins, line spacing, and fonts as anyone else, but I'm not going to deny that a stock Kobo with a book that hasn't been specially altered wastes a ton of space as well.
On an H2O, it depends on how the eBook is made. I've seen some that are awful and some that are good and some that are not bad. The settings should allow you to fix up most ePub to look better without having to edit the CSS. But on a Kindle, you can make the perfect eBook and you'll still have wasted screen space.

Quote:
You can buy pretty much any book anywhere and put it on either device with a Calibre conversion. With the ecosystem, I was speaking more to buying books directly on each device and how the experiences compare to each other. In regards to both selection and price, I very much believe that the Kindle offers a superior experience.
If the user does not strip DRM, then in most cases, Amazon is it. If they do not convert, Amazon is it. Most people don't convert or strip DRM. H2O support Adobe's DRM, so you can buy from shops other than Kobo. Also, more eBooks from Overdrive in the US are ePub. But a lot are Kindle as well. If you are not in the US, then the Kindle is not good if you want to read eBooks from Overdrive.

Quote:
Eh, you're probably right, but isn't the Aura H20 essentially an Aura HD with waterproofing and the carta screen? If that's the case, I think you can make some pretty good assumptions about the longevity of the device.
But has been said by another, Carta uses less power to drive which is why the difference between the PW1 & PW2. So we very well may see a similar difference between the HD and H2O.

Quote:
Judging by the limited number of videos released so far, the Voyage seems to turn pages as quickly as the PW2.
In a video on Youtube comparing the H2O to the PW2, a book was opened on both devices and the text appeared at the same time. But the book on the PW2 had it's cover touched before the book on the H2O. So the H2O opened faster. The book on the H2O was not smaller then the one on the PW2.

Quote:
I'm just going to have to completely disagree here. I have not used a single IR-touch based ereader that had the responsiveness of the capacitive PW1/2 or the Kobo Aura. Sure, page turns work fine, but trying to type on the keyboard or do a lot of quick touches is a lot more difficult with IR touch than capacitive.
I cannot say how good capacitance is with eInk, but the IR I have used works very well.

Quote:
That wasn't necessarily due to the flush screen. That was almost certainly due to the touch layer Kobo chose to use on their device.
Well, from some of the photos I've seen of the PW1, I've not been impressed with the screen with the light at the lowest setting. It's a bit dark.

Quote:
I think this is more to due with the front of the Aura being closer to glass than the mini, so it makes imperfections stand out a little more. I notice on my Aura that fingerprints or dust aren't nearly as visible as on my iPad, for example.
You cannot compare your average tablet to a different type of screen. Most tablet screens are fingerprint magnets. The iPad I know well is a very powerful fingerprint magnet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #37
hwtan13
hwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KK 3G, KT, KPW, NTG
Returning my H2O as it is too big for me to carry around compare to PW1. I am not very technical and not very fussy as long as I get to read.
hwtan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #38
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just bought an H2O and am very happy with it. The only minor downside is the very lengthy wait for "Processing Content" after adding a large number of books (took about an hour to process 700 books), but that's a one-time thing - it processes a couple of new books in a few seconds. As far as the actual reading experience goes: it's pretty good.
What features of the h20 caused tou buy it when you already have an Onyx?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #39
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I'm just going to have to completely disagree here. I have not used a single IR-touch based ereader that had the responsiveness of the capacitive PW1/2 or the Kobo Aura. Sure, page turns work fine, but trying to type on the keyboard or do a lot of quick touches is a lot more difficult with IR touch than capacitive.
I have used capacitive on a Nook and IR on a number of Sonys and I find both types of screen similarly response.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #40
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
I'm going to buy the Aura H2O for the following reasons compared to the Voyage.
  • Larger screen size
  • Expandable storage
  • More native file support

As for some of the cons associated with the Aura, the heavier weight is negligible to me. The smaller store is not a concern to me since I purchase my content through other retailers since I don't like dealing with DRM. Everything I own is in ePub or PDF format anyway from Japanese light novels to English philosophy.
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sleep mode (which is standby). I just checked it and I know it hasn't been touched for 3 weeks because I know when I took it away last. It was in sleep mode and is still nicely above half charge. Don't know what it started at, but I know it wouldn't have been full because I was reading on it and didn't charge it since I got home.
Is it doing the daily sync? If evenft has that on, and you have it off, that would explain the difference.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is it doing the daily sync? If evenft has that on, and you have it off, that would explain the difference.
I don't know about the H2O specifically, but on most readers, leaving WiFi on has a significant impact on battery life. On my Kindle PW2, for example, leaving WiFi turned on will roughly halve the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know about the H2O specifically, but on most readers, leaving WiFi on has a significant impact on battery life. On my Kindle PW2, for example, leaving WiFi turned on will roughly halve the battery life.
True. This is a little different. The Kobo ereaders can go to sleep after a little while. It should only use a tiny amount of battery. But, they have a daily sync function. If asleep, it will wake, attempt to sleep and then go back to sleep. If there is a lot to sync, it could use 5% of battery. So, two weeks in sleep mode could easily use all the battery if the WiFi is on and daily sync is enabled.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #44
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On an H2O, it depends on how the eBook is made. I've seen some that are awful and some that are good and some that are not bad. The settings should allow you to fix up most ePub to look better without having to edit the CSS. But on a Kindle, you can make the perfect eBook and you'll still have wasted screen space.
This is true, but I prefer doing stock-to-stock comparisons. Having to do the conversion every time with my Kobo is extremely annoying. Sure, the Kindle wastes space, but you don't have to go through a process in Calibre to get it to it's "ideal" state.

Quote:
If the user does not strip DRM, then in most cases, Amazon is it. If they do not convert, Amazon is it. Most people don't convert or strip DRM. H2O support Adobe's DRM, so you can buy from shops other than Kobo. Also, more eBooks from Overdrive in the US are ePub. But a lot are Kindle as well. If you are not in the US, then the Kindle is not good if you want to read eBooks from Overdrive.
I should have noted this as a positive, but I was really focusing on Kobo's ecosystem vs Amazon's ecosystem. Amazon's store is consistently better in terms of content and prices.

And I should have noted the difference if they were outside the US. That slipped my mind.

Quote:
But has been said by another, Carta uses less power to drive which is why the difference between the PW1 & PW2. So we very well may see a similar difference between the HD and H2O.
How much of a difference is there?

Quote:
In a video on Youtube comparing the H2O to the PW2, a book was opened on both devices and the text appeared at the same time. But the book on the PW2 had it's cover touched before the book on the H2O. So the H2O opened faster. The book on the H2O was not smaller then the one on the PW2.
I'd love to see this video. I've got the upgrade bug.

Quote:
I cannot say how good capacitance is with eInk, but the IR I have used works very well.
It's one of those differences that you won't notice until you have them both, but you'll notice it forever after that.

Quote:
Well, from some of the photos I've seen of the PW1, I've not been impressed with the screen with the light at the lowest setting. It's a bit dark.
I've spent a decent amount of time with the PW2. I didn't find it dark at all. I think that all these screens, save for maybe the Kobo Aura, are so close in contrast and background color that the discussion is somewhat moot. They're all very good, whether you buy a Kobo or Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have WiFi turned off on my Aura HD. It's still fine, but just not as good as any Kindle I've had.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I know what you mean, I still have a few as well. I still have my kindle keyboard even. lol. I did get rid of my PW1 last year, but I still have the PW2 which I'm hanging on to.

I'd really like to compare both side by side. I'd love to have the H20 for reading in the tub and at the beach, but I love that the voyage has buttons and I like the kindle software. It's tough because both readers really seem excellent.
Thats exactlly my situation too
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote