Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
I don't care about Store haha, Harry know why, he banned me a week...

If the Sony have a good PDF capability, then I might it get. T68 is out of my budget.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen isn't as clear as the PW2, but it's good enough - on a par with the PW1, to my mind. The device itself, though, is enormously more flexible. For me, the "killer app" is Calibre Companion, which allows me to easily store and search my 4000+ book library on the device very easily.
Okay, I'm convinced.
I've just ordered it.
From Amazon, since the checkout in ereader-store.de didn't work for me.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
T68 is out of my budget.
Why ask questions about it, then?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Because I want to find out if the Android and other capability is worth the extra $200 premium.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I want to find out if the Android and other capability is worth the extra $200 premium.
"Extra 200 premium"?
I've ordered mine 10 minutes ago for € 179.
So the total is less than 200? Not "an extra 200"?
Or are there different configurations?
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
FinancialWar
Banned

You're in Germany.

For me it's $158 plus 51 postage, and after converting it to AUD, it's about $300 AUD.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
"Extra 200 premium"?
I've ordered mine 10 minutes ago for € 179.
So the total is less than 200? Not "an extra 200"?
Or are there different configurations?
Aus. $ vs. €.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Aus. $ vs. €.
Yes.... durrr

What is your point?

For me it's a $200AUD more expensive to get the T68 than a T3.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
I've only checked it out from a friend about 10 days ago.
I loved the idea, because now I usually have to take 2 to 5 different readers/tablets with me, to cover all potential needs.

But I was quite disappointed about the quality of the screen.
It did seem kind of yellowish/grey. Darker and less appealing than my other readers.
I don't see much of a difference between my Nook GlowLight, Kobo Aura HD or Kindle Paperwhite 2. But the Onyx T68 did seem a bit like what I've had on my readers maybe 2 years ago.

Did my friend get a "monday unit"?
Am I over-critical?
Or do you see the same "yellowish" saturation?
So, does your "best reader on the market" refer to technical capabilities (Google Play)? Or would you say the same about haptic (I wasn't too fond of the build quality of the Android buttons), touch & feel (I like the idea of page turning buttons, but couldn't make them work in Kindle and other 3rd party apps), speed (page turns in Kindle, Nook and Kobo apps did seem painfully slow) and last but not least display quality?
I say the best mainly because of simple versatility. A device which is marketed as a dedicated ereader and provides as good or even better reading experience than a Paperwhite, even a first generation one, is not to be sneezed at. Add that it is also a complete Android tablet with e-ink and it is not to be sneezed at.

So far as the display is concerned, I find it excellent. I did find that it is a little yellowish out of the box, but customisation of your preferred software should solve this. This seems to me to be a highly subjective thing. One man's meat is another's poison.

So far as things like the buttons working with applications, I think this will probably improve with time, as will some of the other issues you raise. The T68 is nowhere near as polished a product out of the box as, say, the Kindles. In particular, Android is designed for colour screens, and at the moment at least this does cause problems for an e-ink device. Once again, I have hopes that this will improve with time. Certainly Calibre Companion was adjusted very promptly. Also, I expect some of the more annoying problems will be dealt with via firmware revisions as they are indentified.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yes.... durrr

What is your point?

For me it's a $200AUD more expensive to get the T68 than a T3.
He was answering the same question as you. He posted his reply at the same time as yours.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #26
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Okay, I'm convinced.
I've just ordered it.
From Amazon, since the checkout in ereader-store.de didn't work for me.
I've just cancelled my order.
HarryT in another thread told me about the 500MB limit of internal storage.
Quote:
"The device only has 500MB of internal "app" storage, and when I installed the Kindle App, it used over 350MB of that space, due to the large size of my Kindle library (large size on Amazon's servers, that is - I didn't download any books). You can move the app to the internal SD card, but the data stays in app storage."
I'll have to clarify this, before I consider re-ordering.
I already hate the 2GB limit of my Paperwhite 2 (I can order an 8GB Micro SD Card for € 7, so any kind of storage limit should be an issue of the past. But of course lots of manufacturers want to "force" you into their cloud solutions).
If all my libraries would be limited to a total of 500MB, respectively the Kindle app alone already blocks 350MB out of 500MB, that's a rigid showstopper for me...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My solution is simple: I don't use the Kindle App. My entire library is in Calibre, and I have all my books in both Kindle and ePub formats. Moon+ (ePub app) works great on the T68.

There is no storage limit for books: I have a 32GB SD card in my T68, and my 4000+ books are currently using about 3.5GB of that.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
My solution is simple: I don't use the Kindle App. My entire library is in Calibre, and I have all my books in both Kindle and ePub formats. Moon+ (ePub app) works great on the T68.

There is no storage limit for books: I have a 32GB SD card in my T68, and my 4000+ books are currently using about 3.5GB of that.
I'm not doing this anymore.
I don't even have backups of my books.
It was way too time consuming.
And once you haven't down it (downloading all books to the PC, stripping from DRM, maybe converting and optimizing in Calibre, ...) for months, it would be painful, to do so.
I guess, I'd have to process maybe 1000 books that way, for the rest I've down it (but never made any use of it. In the beginning, I've converted all books to all target formats and did copy them to all readers. But now I simply focus on my 3 to 5 core readers and sometimes buy double or triple, but usually can stick to 1 issue on any of those readers).
So, out of convenience, I would like to use the Kobo, Nook and Kindle apps, covering about 50% of my purchases.
So, unfortunately, I have to pass.
Thanks for telling me in advance, so I could avoid the troubles and disappointment.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
...and my 4000+ books are currently using about 3.5GB of that.
My libraries on all my readers, for whatever reason, are way bigger.

On Paperwhite 2, the 2GB hold about 650 books.
On Aura HD, the 4GB aren't enough to hold my 450 books.
On Nook GlowLight, my 300 books take about 50% of the 2.5GB reserved for B&N content.
Meaning:
In your 3.5GB of storage, I could fit maybe 400 to 1000 books, depending on the file format.
Less than 10% of my books are "storage killers", such as travel companions or Dilbert and Garfield cartoons. Those may add up to 1GB alone on each reader.
But that doesn't explain it entirely.
Only explanation:
Your conversion to ePUB is way more efficient, than the original file structures.
But since I'm not doing this anymore, I want to use as many of my books as possible in the original apps...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Just out of curiosity:
What's the benefit of the Calibre Companion and/or Onyx T68?
Couldn't you conveniently and efficiently enough use all your ePUBs via side loading on Kobo or Nook?

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-23-2014 at 06:07 PM.