Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Forget the Orizon, it has a Sipix display and really disappointing reviews on french sites (bookeen is a french brand, and although I try to support my country's economy, I can't recommend the Orizon). The Neo is today overpriced for what it does, if you can find it at all since it does not seem to be produced anymore. I think it has Sipix too. The Cover story is only interesting with its Wifi option and as such extremely difficult to get (I understand OP lives in the US, but I might be mistaken) unless you live in the UK.

Plus I understand OP is on a budget.
Thank you for this! I have not seen them in the wilderness and was not aware of their shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Have a look at the Singapore Library. It is for free and does have epub and mobi books to lend. They do have 21,813 ebooks and 2,017 are mobis, but have a look yourself.
As long as I can download the book and get a copy, I can read the ePub ones (DRM free) on my Kindle as well! :-) .. 60 seconds conversion via Calibre. of course, no Public Libraries but any other copyright free book.
Well, you quote me talking about a library and then you say conversion is not a problem, but you would not converse a library book...

Hm, am I supposed to understand this?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #32
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Thank you for this! I have not seen them in the wilderness and was not aware of their shortcomings.

No problem. I think the Sonys and Kindle are the best e-ink right now. May change anytime of course, as soon as a new e-reader with pearl screen, wifi, stable and solid FW, nice colours, battery for at least 3 weeks and included leather cover for under 200$ is launched, the cards will be re-shuffled, but not yet I guess.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Okay.. so far I am getting myself deeper in the brain hole.
My library has the entire xanth series which i would like to read, with no waiting.
But the reason I returned the nook color was for weight. The nook would be similar with the cover.
Anyway.. thanks for your help guys. It is too bad the sony costs so much and that it's page swipes are backwards.
The page swipes can be adjusted to suit you preference. I bought my PRS-350 for $129 on sale, and I love it!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #34
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Okay.. so far I am getting myself deeper in the brain hole.
My library has the entire xanth series which i would like to read, with no waiting.
But the reason I returned the nook color was for weight. The nook would be similar with the cover.
Anyway.. thanks for your help guys. It is too bad the sony costs so much and that it's page swipes are backwards.
I have the nook and love it. It's a year old and no issues. Personally, I didn't like the lighter weight of the kindle. It feels cheap to me. I know that's not the case, but it was my first reaction when I compared the two. I don't travel, so the battery life isn't an issue for me either. I just plug it in at my desk once a week and I'm good to go.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
It is too bad the sony costs so much and that it's page swipes are backwards.
What do you mean "backwards"? If you mean the wrong direction you can set it either left-right or right-left. And it takes the smallest ever swipe, hardy even worth calling "swipe".

Edit: I see I'm way behind here! Others have already replied to that! Ooops! Sorry!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #36
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Didn't realize you could change the swipe direction. Well at least that is solved. Now if they could just bring the prs650 down to about 175 I would be set.

Well guys.. I honestly think I am gonna throw in the towel and just read real books. Kindle doesn't support library books which annoys me. Nook is heavy and frankly I do not love the touch screen navigation. Sony is too much money. So either Amazon or libraries are gonna need to step up, nook is gonna need to lighten up or sony is gonna need to cheapen up.

I am pretty picky eh.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't realize you could change the swipe direction. Well at least that is solved. Now if they could just bring the prs650 down to about 175 I would be set.

Well guys.. I honestly think I am gonna throw in the towel and just read real books. Kindle doesn't support library books which annoys me. Nook is heavy and frankly I do not love the touch screen navigation. Sony is too much money. So either Amazon or libraries are gonna need to step up, nook is gonna need to lighten up or sony is gonna need to cheapen up.

I am pretty picky eh.
Actually I wouldn't call you picky. Cheap yes, picky? No.

What about a kobo. No annying swipe-touchscreen, great price (I think it is around 69$) now at closing borders shops, light, 6-inch screen.

I would never hesitate to spend on a Sony. It is the one item I use daily and several times a day. It saves me a fortune as I can read Library books on it and download all classics, has virtually no weight, does not need lots of electricity or anything else and makes me happy and smile, whenever I happen to look at it. I have always been a heavy reader and now one can easily call me a constant reader as I have it always with me and never before did I enjoy reading as I do now. No more heavy books - just now I am reading 'War and Peace' and it weighs 155gr

Never before have I bought something that has given me as much satisfaction and well-spent feeling as my Sony.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

I am pretty picky eh.
There is no perfect device, for sure. In fact, some users combine or use more than two in order to satisfy their reading habits.

So, if you don't find the Sony, Nook or Kindle, suitable for you (which are probably the best on market right now), maybe you should stick to pbooks or look for other "not so commercial" alternatives like Pocketbook or Ectaco. Or even check for a used ereader on Amazon or ebay; sometimes people sell their previous devices for really good prices there.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Actually I wouldn't call you picky. Cheap yes, picky? No.

What about a kobo. No annying swipe-touchscreen, great price (I think it is around 69$) now at closing borders shops, light, 6-inch screen.

I would never hesitate to spend on a Sony. It is the one item I use daily and several times a day. It saves me a fortune as I can read Library books on it and download all classics, has virtually no weight, does not need lots of electricity or anything else and makes me happy and smile, whenever I happen to look at it. I have always been a heavy reader and now one can easily call me a constant reader as I have it always with me and never before did I enjoy reading as I do now. No more heavy books - just now I am reading 'War and Peace' and it weighs 155gr

Never before have I bought something that has given me as much satisfaction and well-spent feeling as my Sony.
I echo your sentiments on the Sony reader. Best buy I've ever made.

If you are interested, I believe that the Kobo has been listed for even cheaper as some Borders stores ($58 or so)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #40
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Forgot something. The possibilty of finding lots of freebies gives me the freedom to read sometimes books I wouldn't dream of spending money for.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #41
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:

I am pretty picky eh.
You should just treat yourself to the Sony! Save up for a little and go for it.

If you don't like the weight of a nook, how are you going to handle the weight of a hardcover library book? They weigh the same!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #42
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

I don't do hardbacks.. sorry. I am a one handed reader.
Not that I don't have both.. I just use one.
The Kobo has no page turn buttons. It just has the annoying dot thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
One handed reading... I find that difficult with a paperback. But with an EBR, it's easy. I always have trouble keeping a paperback open to the page I'm reading. It's almost always a two-handed job for me.

You sound like a prime candidate for an EBR.

I suggest you jump on one of those $89 refurb Nook deals. In a year or two, you'll have a much better idea of how this all works and will be ready for the latest iteration of whatever EBR you decide you wish to upgrade to.

Edit: Learn to use calibre. It's an excellent application and I've only scratched the scratch learning how to use it. I know just enough to make it do what I want and haven't spent the time yet to learn how to really put it to work.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #44
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
One of the things that bothers me about the Nook is the fact that content purchased from B&N, content purchased else where or side loaded, and content stored on the MicroSD card are all stored in different menu areas. You can't browse your entire library in one spot. With the Kindle all of your content is in the same area.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #45
Zarich
Zealot

Okay.. backtracking a bit here.
I just played with calibre. Very cool program. So basically it lets me convert any non drm book to kindle format correct? or visa versa?
However the question I have is does that hose up the formatting at all? Do epub books come across correctly? Or do the books have formatting errors and issues? Because that would open up all non DRMed epubs for a kindle plus kindle content.

Also is there a way to convert library books to kindle format AND keep the DRM intact?

It is the weight and battery life of the kindle that keeps drawing me to it. The nook really just has the epub thing that appeals. Oh and the creme background and page swipes