Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Believe it or not, browsing chapters and selecting books, it's faster on the Kindle 3. The color and graphic screen on Nook is nice and fancy, but slow and useless outdoors.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Oddly enough.. I am considering the kindle now soley for weight.
not odd at all -- i greatly prefer the light weight of the K3 which is one of the reasons i chose it.

but that $89 deal is pretty sweet. had that been available to me, i might have picked the nook. as someone has already mentioned, none of these ereaders is perfect and the technology changes so rapidly that anything bought now should be considered the first of several, not the one and only.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
$89 is a good deal, but it is a refurb. With all my gift stuff the kindle would be $85, but of course for $89 I could use my cards for something else.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Love my kindle 3. I have tons of books from several places. I have converted them to mobi to read on my kindle. I love all the indie authors on Amazon, plus they seem to have every book I look for. Plus recently I have started to read library books on it, so it is possible if that is in the future for you. Overall it is a very good device, and compared to my brother's nook, I like my kindle more. I have to admit though I like seeing the covers in color on the nook. I use calibre to manage my books so I can edit them and all. It is like itunes for ebooks. Amazing.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #20
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Well guys... I am not sure now. leaning towards the nook for epub. I kinda wish the kindle supported epub or the nook was as light and had the battery life of the kindle. I worry a bit about the fact that the kindle doesn't support what appears to be the growing standard. I did a search at my local library today for sci-fi and fantasy books. My library has more than 600 ebooks. that is a lot. None of which can be read on the kindle.

So now even more torn than before.
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #21
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Well guys... I am not sure now. leaning towards the nook for epub. I kinda wish the kindle supported epub or the nook was as light and had the battery life of the kindle. I worry a bit about the fact that the kindle doesn't support what appears to be the growing standard. I did a search at my local library today for sci-fi and fantasy books. My library has more than 600 ebooks. that is a lot. None of which can be read on the kindle.

If you use calibre, the management freeware for ebooks, conversion to mobi is a breeze.
I have had almost every brand of e-reader (nook classic, sony 600, 350, 650, K2, pb 360 and 302), sold or gave away all of them except the 650 and 350, which I use on a daily basis. Kindle 3 which I have tested a week ago seems to me the best in terms of speed, screen quality and facility of use, followed by the 650. The nook classic is nice, I love the design, but it is slow compared to the K3, no question about that, the battery life is just poor and well, pearl screens are just the best right now. Me, I just wish the sony had a wireless function, but that is another story....

Last edited by aceflor; 03-22-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Just wanted to say "just" one more time ;)
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
snip
I worry a bit about the fact that the kindle doesn't support what appears to be the growing standard. I did a search at my local library today for sci-fi and fantasy books. My library has more than 600 ebooks. that is a lot. None of which can be read on the kindle.

All of which can be read on the Kindle... if you are willing to learn how to break DRM and use calibre to convert to mobi. In a nutshell, it's as easy as learning the location on your computer where you d/l the ebook file and then importing that into calibre. Then either sideload the ebook or email the file to your Kindle via youremailaddress@kindle.com (or kindlefree.com if you have a 3g model). Calibre converts and emails in one shot.

While I would love for the Kindle to natively support epub, I have not found the lack of epub support to be a hindrance in obtaining ebooks from *any* source I wish to use, be it B&N, Borders, the library, etc.

One might well argue that epub is a defacto standard. OTOH, one may equally well argue that Amazon's mobi collection is as complete if not moreso than the epub sources combined. Choose your own standard... or choose not to worry about standards. Personally, I chose the latter option.

Last edited by speedlever; 03-22-2011 at 07:17 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

If your budget allows I would order both and use each one up until the return window expires and see which one you enjoy the best.

Others have directed toward stripping the DRM off of books making where you purchase irrelevant. but there are some things to consider. For starters by and large it's illegal, plus there ethical questions that come into play. To some it doesn't bother them. But I don't know something about stripping the DRM off a library book would just make feel meslimey. Sort of like taking clothes out of a Salvation Army Drop Off Bin. Just doesn't sit right.

and also do you want to have to strip DRM every single time you buy a book that's not from Amazon? I don't know, something about just downloading it and then sideloading it to your device without any run a arounds just seem less of a hassel
but to each his own

also to your other post, I wouldn't put too much stock into your problems you had with the nook simply because it's a display device and at Best Buy to boot. Display devices get overworked, and who knows how many times people just go through touching button left and right not knowing what their are doing. Being overworked can slow any device down. And Best Buy can care less about these ereaders. They don't take care of the area's (at least the three in my area) So I'm sure they haven't been reset or even powered down in quite some time.

I haven't experienced any of the issues you raised and I think you'll find many other nook owners would agree. Soo many people love the nook and I don't think it would be the case if it was a brutal as the one you just dealt with. Though I do admit there is a "rythem" learning curve. Sort of getting to used to your nook. I find this to be a very common. At first many people feel frustrated with it but as a little time goes on the more accustomed you become to the nook most people end up loving it. I for one coul just never go to the old horse and buggy style of navigation on the kindle. Just waay too outdated for me. I would suggest if you do have a Barnes and Noble near by to go use their display models for one you will have a Sales Rep to answer any questions and plust they take care of the nook area and the devices are maintained.

but something tells me no matter which you purchase you might suffer from a little buyer's remorse. So if your budget does allow I would order both and give them your full attention and then go from there.

Again Good Luck

Last edited by boswd; 03-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I would personally recommend the nook, since you said that you do not see yourself with a big collection of books on your reader. Kindle owners have told me that the ability to search through lots of books is one of the key selling features that convinced them to buy a Kindle.
I chose the Kindle because it comes in black and the Nook only comes in white.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Iphone 4
I have the classic nook and have no regrets. I played with a Kindle and really didn't like the full keyboard on it. It seemed like it made it bigger than it needed to be. I've not had any issues with the swipe or touch screen on the Nook. I also have libraries that I frequent for epub books and rarely have to purchase books. I had no desire for a color nook, if I wanted to read on a backlit screen, I'd use the computer.
lorraineg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #26
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I'm with speedlever. the lack of epub support on the kindle doesn't bother me at all. I have to agree that amazon's store is the best for selection, but I've bought off of B&N, smashwords, fictionwise ect. Plus I get alot of ebooks from the library. I use calibre which is excellent and I have all my books organized tagged and drm free. I don't lend, sell, or steal any of these books. They are ones I purchase for myself so I have no qualms about taking off the drm. The library books I do take the drm off but delete them as i am done in the lending period. I wouldn't dream of keeping these books as a library is mean't for lending, but that is just me. I also take the drm off my amazon purchased books so I can truly back up instead of depend on the company to do that for me. I guess some would have issues with it, but I figure I purchased the book which can be as much if not more than the paper version, I should be able to read it on whatever device and truly back it up to my pc. Just my opinion though.
Took a little searching and time to figure out, but it is an easy 3-4 minute import and convert then connect kindle to calibre and go. Once set up it is very straight forward abd no more difficult than if you were to sideload a book to the nook or sony. I have all my personal books in both epub and mobi format in calibre along with a few pdf's. The first thing I do if I buy a book from another site is import to calibre and convert to mobi, so it is second nature now. I love the pearl screen and, yes the keyboard of the kindle as well.
In fact I was at BB today returning some headphones, and took a look at the ereaders. I messed with the nook classic and it seemed slow and the screen isn't as good to me. Same with the sony readers. That's just me though and everyone has their own preference. My brother loves his nook, and I love my kindle so I am familiar with the debate lol. I do like the freebies that B&N does though.

Last edited by monkeygirl351; 03-23-2011 at 12:27 AM.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have a look at the Singapore Library. It is for free and does have epub and mobi books to lend. They do have 21,813 ebooks and 2,017 are mobis, but have a look yourself.

Maybe you should have a look at other ebook readers than the nook or the Kindle. There are wonderful options out there, the Bookeen Orizon i.e. or the BeBook Neo or the iRiver Cover Story.

All of them have wifi and read epub, have touchscreens, take notes, read a lot of other formats, play audiofiles...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Have a look at the Singapore Library. It is for free and does have epub and mobi books to lend. They do have 21,813 ebooks and 2,017 are mobis, but have a look yourself.

Maybe you should have a look at other ebook readers than the nook or the Kindle. There are wonderful options out there, the Bookeen Orizon i.e. or the BeBook Neo or the iRiver Cover Story.

All of them have wifi and read epub, have touchscreens, take notes, read a lot of other formats, play audiofiles...
As long as I can download the book and get a copy, I can read the ePub ones (DRM free) on my Kindle as well! :-) .. 60 seconds conversion via Calibre. of course, no Public Libraries but any other copyright free book.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-23-2011 at 08:34 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

Forget the Orizon, it has a Sipix display and really disappointing reviews on french sites (bookeen is a french brand, and although I try to support my country's economy, I can't recommend the Orizon). The Neo is today overpriced for what it does, if you can find it at all since it does not seem to be produced anymore. I think it has Sipix too. The Cover story is only interesting with its Wifi option and as such extremely difficult to get (I understand OP lives in the US, but I might be mistaken) unless you live in the UK.

Plus I understand OP is on a budget.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #30
Zarich
Zealot

Okay.. so far I am getting myself deeper in the brain hole.
My library has the entire xanth series which i would like to read, with no waiting.
But the reason I returned the nook color was for weight. The nook would be similar with the cover.
Anyway.. thanks for your help guys. It is too bad the sony costs so much and that it's page swipes are backwards.