Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #46
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Joe you always make my head hurt when you try to confuse people on ePub, only BN encrypts their ePub books with their special DRM the rest use the ADOBE Reader. Which is supported on all devices EXCEPT the KIndle, meaning you don't have break any encryption if you buy your books from Sony, Google, Fiction wise, kobo, etc. You can have your library and use it any device you want, a Kobo, A Sony and Nook, a PocketBook etc.
I decide to buy a Sony 950 tomorrow my library is intact and I don't have to strip anything.
Please stop spreading this kind of confusion, simply because the Kindle doesn't support ePub and Adobe Reader. Instead of misinformation complain to Amazon so maybe they will change their business practice.
There we go again, you are fixated with your Nook and altering the reality.

All major online bookstores in USA sell their books with DRM protection. And for 1000 time with you ... Kindle users are not locked with Amazon att all.

You are the only one always confusing people.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-16-2011 at 05:35 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #47
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thats a slight exaggeration. No way is the Pearl Screen 50% better than the last year screens. NO WAY. before the latest update to nook it was marginally better but after the latest v1.5 update on the nook it bolded it's text darker and it's on par witht the Pearl Screen.

Pearl Screen is only a better contrast ratio, there is no technology advancement or anything. It's not like comparing old CRT tv's to todays LED 3D HDTV's. It's just a better contrast ratio that's it.
And like I said after the nooks update their screen is on par with the Pearl Screen
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #48
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
actually the nook has been have software updates throught the year since it's release so far 5, that keeps it up to pace as far as tech features. it's hardware is actually more modern than the kindle especially with it's touchscreen navigation on the bottom and the ability to see your book covers in color.

also the dictionary DOES work on other books that aren't nookbooks. not sure where you heard that but that is a bit of misinformation.
Not correct.

The Kindle 3 has most recent hardware than Nook 1st gen. Just the screen itself uses a new and totally different technology which makes it way much clear than the Nook.

The color screen drains a lot of battery and it's, even with firmware upgrade, unresponsive and erratic. Also, the firmware updates basically fixed lot of bugs and did not add too many new features: there is no landscape mode in the Nook, no way to enlarge embedded pictures, no native PDF support and it's heavier...

You must be nuts if you believe Nook 1st gen hardware is better than Kindle 3.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #49
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
To the original poster: I personally do not like the Kindle 3's screen colour. It is like a grey. I just can't get past it. I also don't like the buttons or the directional pad. You might like these things though. So try to think of what you would find easier to use or like more.

Also, go to places where you think you would be getting books from. See what formats are available. I find more books are available in epub. My library only has epub and some pdf, no mobi. DRM free books can be converted though if you need to convert to mobi, but bought books with drm would have to be stripped first.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #50
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I find more books are available in epub
This varies from person to person.

The availability of books does not depend of a format but the online bookstore. What can be very popular to someone cannot be to other. For instance, IT book collection (Oracle, SQL, PHP, etc) in B&N is poor comparing to Amazon, and B&N books are in epub format.

I've still have not found (myself, my preference) any book in B&N that is not in Amazon. Moreover, it is usually cheaper in Amazon. And I am talking about non IT books as well, like novels and bestsellers. Remember, Amazon is a "monster" in USA. Its book catalog is huge!

To the OP
I am not advocating for a Kindle, a Sony or a Nook, but for a device that allows you to read the books that you like and want, without any extra step of hassle, including GEO restrictions.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #51
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
This varies from person to person.

The availability of books does not depend of a format but the online bookstore. What can be very popular to someone cannot be to other. For instance, IT book collection (Oracle, SQL, PHP, etc) in B&N is poor comparing to Amazon, and B&N books are in epub format.
Yes, but if you keep reading you will see I use the library. I do not know any libraries (in my area) that use mobi. I am sure there are some somewhere, but none I have seen. The OP might or might not use the library. If there aren't any in their area, they can buy a library card for the Library of Philadelphia. I am just trying to tell them to go and check where they will be getting books from. It will save a lot of headache later on.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #52
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Yes, but if you keep reading you will see I use the library. I do not know any libraries (in my area) that use mobi. I am sure there are some somewhere, but none I have seen. The OP might or might not use the library. If there aren't any in their area, they can buy a library card for the Library of Philadelphia. I am just trying to tell them to go and check where they will be getting books from. It will save a lot of headache later on.
Actually you are correct. Because epub is the agreed standard I believe is the main reason why is being used. If access to public libraries is a must to someone, a Kindle is not a suitable solution, that's true.

Now, I would not take that as a Kindle's downside but a personal preference. Each person has different taste and not all people are willing to: visit a public store, wait in line for service (common in my area), read something with poor layout. You get what you pay for. Most free books or not copyright protected books do not have the same quality of those who are 1 or 2 dollar price. Bibles are a good example; tons of them in public libraries or epub, but really poor format, just scanned documents. If you are in a career that depends of recent material (doctors, engineers, etc) to improve your skills you must pay to get decent titles and recent content. If you like classics public libraries are a great source.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #53
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Out of those I would go for the Sony, because it supports E-pub even though the price is a little high(after all it is a Sony!!) other people on mobile reads have bought them in the UK.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #54
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Thanks so much you all. I've decided to go with a sony. Now to decide between the 350and 650. I really dont need Wifi, etc. but I feel that if I can buy the 650, why not pay a little extra and get the 950.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #55
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
There we go again, you are fixated with your Nook and altering the reality.

All major online bookstores in USA sell their books with DRM protection. And for 1000 time with you ... Kindle users are not locked with Amazon att all.

You are the only one always confusing people.
no joe you need to stop lying, only BN adds on their own DRM along with Amazon. Everyone uses ADE which is NOT proprietory. And ADE is supported on almost every ereader EXCEPT the kindle.

I was not only using the nook but other ereaders as well. i used Sony, and Kobo in my example.

If I buy a book from Kobo books or Borders or Google etc, use can put them on every ereader without hacking into it's DRM. It's DRM is a nonpropriotory ADE supported by every BUT the Kindle

that is the actual facts so stop confusing people into the kindle.

Last edited by boswd; 01-17-2011 at 11:41 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #56
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not correct.

The Kindle 3 has most recent hardware than Nook 1st gen. Just the screen itself uses a new and totally different technology which makes it way much clear than the Nook.

The color screen drains a lot of battery and it's, even with firmware upgrade, unresponsive and erratic. Also, the firmware updates basically fixed lot of bugs and did not add too many new features: there is no landscape mode in the Nook, no way to enlarge embedded pictures, no native PDF support and it's heavier...

You must be nuts if you believe Nook 1st gen hardware is better than Kindle 3.

totally correct, people don't have to take my word on it or yours. People go to their local best buy and view them side by side. And I guantree you no one will walk away saying the kindle is 50% better. NO ONE.

also it was only the first two updates that focused more on bug fixes, it's last three firmware upgrades on the nook have all been performance and feature enhancements. From faster page turning to the ability to create shelves etc. Darker text

the Kindle hardware is YEARS beyond. What you are referring to is their software. The Sony uses a full touch screen navigation tech, the nook fuses together touch screen lcd tech and eink tech.
The kindle uses outdated push button navigation controls. Akin to tech of the 1990's. There is nothing I mean NOTHING techinally advanced about the kindle's hardware.

Please enlighten me and tell me exactly what does the pearl sceen bring to the advanced technological table besides a better contrast ratio I would to hear it. I mean nook was able to achieve almost the same contrast by a simple upgrade. Again people can go judge for themselves in person.

So whatever your hatred is towards Barnes and Noble at least be honest in your posts.

Last edited by boswd; 01-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #57
boswd
Banned

Quote:
yes that was exactly my reaction when I first saw the kindle and how it looked. It reminded of this

http://www.23hq.com/slightlyfamous/photo/4287682 I think the both use the same voice as well

Last edited by boswd; 01-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #58
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Thanks so much you all. I've decided to go with a sony. Now to decide between the 350and 650. I really dont need Wifi, etc. but I feel that if I can buy the 650, why not pay a little extra and get the 950.
Great! I prefer the 6" size of eReader (650) for just general reading. I own the Sony 300 pocket which is the same size (5") as the 350. It's nice for slipping into a bag and taking on the go - but overall I miss that extra 1" of screen size when I'm reading at home.

The 950 and other larger screens are best for textbooks and other types of reading where lots of screen space is needed. I find them too cumbersome for just regular use though.

Whatever you get - enjoy the heck out of it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #59
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Great! I prefer the 6" size of eReader (650) for just general reading. I own the Sony 300 pocket which is the same size (5") as the 350. It's nice for slipping into a bag and taking on the go - but overall I miss that extra 1" of screen size when I'm reading at home.

The 950 and other larger screens are best for textbooks and other types of reading where lots of screen space is needed. I find them too cumbersome for just regular use though.

Whatever you get - enjoy the heck out of it.
This is what I thought as well. I'm going for the 650. I'm getting someone to order it for me from the US and send it to me here. I just hope I'm not going to need any help from Sony's customer care. There are a couple of Sony shops here but I doubt they'll cover products bought out of Africa.

On a side note, I've noticed users on here aggressively defend their ereaders of choice. I think it's really healthy. If you don't absolutely love your device and think it's perfect for you, then there's no point buying it.

Oh yeah, I read somewhere that, and i quote, "actually loading books onto the Pocket Reader is a giant pain". end of quote. I hope this isn't an issue with the prs-650 too.

Last edited by Fortissimo; 01-17-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Want to add something.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
no joe you need to stop lying, only BN adds on their own DRM along with Amazon. Everyone uses ADE which is NOT proprietory. And ADE is supported on almost every ereader EXCEPT the kindle.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. ADE is "Adobe Digital Editions". As its name suggests, it is proprietary to Adobe. Anyone who wishes to use ADE in their reading devices has to pay Adobe an amount reportedly in the region of US$75,000 per year for the right to do so. Next, every bookstore that wants to sell ADE books has to licence a rather expensive piece of software called "Adobe Content Server" - this is what adds the DRM to the book. Finally, Adobe gets a fee for every ADE book that's sold. All in all, quite a lucrative business for Adobe!

Last edited by HarryT; 01-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote