Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Not talking about what the OP said but in response to your argument that the Sony is the best ereader on the market. I think that besides the hardware itself, there are other factors to consider before saying it's the best; even when you can get epub books from other stores, Sony can't beat B&N and Amazon in book's availability.
Im not sure why this is relevant, I got my sony with no intentions of ever shopping at their bookstore.

The free books on amazon are pretty much available anywhere for free in a variety of formats. Personally I would say go sony (i am a little biased) but also because epub seems to be easier to get then mobi (amazon's format).
To me I prefer the sony's touch screen and lack of keyboard over the kindle but that is purely asthetic.

Ive heard great things about kindle and sony so either would be a good choice. I would choose either of those over a nook personally.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Ive heard great things about kindle and sony so either would be a good choice. I would choose either of those over a nook personally.
One point that's certainly worthy of consideration is that the Kindle and Sony are currently the only devices to have the 3rd generation eInk "Pearl" screens. These have significantly better contrast (50% better, according to the manufacturer) than the older 2nd generation screens that devices such as the nook use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
My 2 cents:
I've found that a great majority of those free books have a poor layout and are basically scanned pages from original books hence are difficult to read, with misaligned margins or no TOC at all so I prefer to pay 3 or 5 dollars for a nice and pure digital version instead. But that's just me.
This is highly disturbing. I don't think I'll be able to buy books online here in Nigeria.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks a lot, people!

From the posts, I've gleaned that the sony is probably better made than the kindle, and the epub format, which the sony supports is more readily available than the mobi which amazon supports.
I'm leaning towards the sony, now. The only negatives being that it is much more expensive and is only available in the US.
Do these devices come with free books already loaded? What is the quality of the books on the device? One poster has complained that most free ebooks are of poor quality.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Also, with geo-restrictions, and the fact that the OP lives in Nigeria, it is questionable whether he would be able to take advantage of Amazon or B&N's bookstores.
This is very true. I doubt if I can access these bookstores from Nigeria.
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Also is there a particular format that is better than the other. Because I've seen that an ebook in mobi format is generally larger than an ebook in epub format. Perhaps there is more detail in the mobi format?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Thanks a lot, people!

From the posts, I've gleaned that the sony is probably better made than the kindle, and the epub format, which the sony supports is more readily available than the mobi which amazon supports.
I'm leaning towards the sony, now. The only negatives being that it is much more expensive and is only available in the US.
Do these devices come with free books already loaded? What is the quality of the books on the device? One poster has complained that most free ebooks are of poor quality.
Hello Fortissimo,

you can download all the books you are looking for either here at mobileread in different formats like epub or lrf (which I prefer over epub as the size difference of the fonts is not as big as in epub with a Sony) or at Project Gutenberg. The books uploaded on mobileread are excellent!!

As for buying a device from the US it is not as difficult as it seems. You can buy it through a forwarding company such as Borderlinx and have it delivered to the UK to pick it up when you go there. They will handle all things related to customs and such for you. There are other companies doing so as well, I think one is called USUnlocked.

Go for a Sony, it will make you very, very happy!

Regards
Poppaea, who is half Senegalese herself
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #23
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
I somewhat fail to see why you are so keen on having a reader with WiFi. The main advantage of WiFi is easy access to a dedicated ebook store. As you may not have access to such a store from Nigeria anyway, that feature may be of little practical use. Any computer is more convenient for web browsing and for getting books from all over the web. Without WiFi you could get the Sony 350/650 which are much cheaper and may be more easily available in Nigeria. They also use epub which seems to be the dominant file format outside of the US.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #24
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
I somewhat fail to see why you are so keen on having a reader with WiFi. The main advantage of WiFi is easy access to a dedicated ebook store. As you may not have access to such a store from Nigeria anyway, that feature may be of little practical use. Any computer is more convenient for web browsing and for getting books from all over the web. Without WiFi you could get the Sony 350/650 which are much cheaper and may be more easily available in Nigeria. They also use epub which seems to be the dominant file format outside of the US.
I just want to get the most I can get. I would just like the feature there so that I know if I ever need it, I can use it. And most state of the art readers come with wifi. My rationale is, since I'm buying a reader, why not buy one of the best.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Hello Fortissimo,

you can download all the books you are looking for either here at mobileread in different formats like epub or lrf (which I prefer over epub as the size difference of the fonts is not as big as in epub with a Sony) or at Project Gutenberg. The books uploaded on mobileread are excellent!!

As for buying a device from the US it is not as difficult as it seems. You can buy it through a forwarding company such as Borderlinx and have it delivered to the UK to pick it up when you go there. They will handle all things related to customs and such for you. There are other companies doing so as well, I think one is called USUnlocked.

Go for a Sony, it will make you very, very happy!

Regards
Poppaea, who is half Senegalese herself
Thanks, this is very reassuring. It would be horrible to splash out on an ereader and have nothing to put in it. I think I'd really like the sony's 7 inch screen. If the kindle DX had Wifi, I'd be lookin at it seriously.

But is it a given that I can't get the Sony in the UK?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

I must say, the kindle wifi is very attractively priced. As of now, it's retailing for 111 pounds on amazon. Please tell me Kindle users, is there something we don't know? Does this device actually last? Is it sturdy and well-built?

I read somewhere that Sony is competing with Amazon on quality levels i.e planning to oust Amazon by making better quality ereaders. This sort of tells me that perhaps the Kindle is of questionable quality.

Last edited by Fortissimo; 01-16-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is one thing I can understand now very well why anyone should want wifi (normaly I think one can do without) I've read that you can go to Wikipedia as easily with a 950 as the other Sonys go to the dictionaries. Thats awesome and I think it will make me buy a 950 too very soon.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, this is very reassuring. It would be horrible to splash out on an ereader and have nothing to put in it. I think I'd really like the sony's 7 inch screen. If the kindle DX had Wifi, I'd be lookin at it seriously.

But is it a given that I can't get the Sony in the UK?
The Sony PRS-950 is only sold in the USA. The other models (the 350 and 650) are sold world-wide.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I must say, the kindle wifi is very attractively priced. As of now, it's retailing for 111 pounds on amazon. Please tell me Kindle users, is there something we don't know? Does this device actually last? Is it sturdy and well-built?

I read somewhere that Sony is competing with Amazon on quality levels i.e planning to oust Amazon by making better quality ereaders. This sort of tells me that perhaps the Kindle is of questionable quality.
I have both a Kindle and a Sony Reader. Both are good-quality products. If you look in the Kindle forum, you'll find that reports of problems with Kindles are rare.

Nothing beats the 3G Kindle for ease of buying books. Just select the book in the Amazon book store and a few seconds later it's there on your reader.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #30
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll scratch off the Nook and replace it with the PRS-650. However, it makes no sense to me buying a 650 when there's a 950. I guess I'm leaning towards the kindle now, but I still have about a month to decide, so we'll see.