Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Kindle, Nook or Sony.

Hello everybody.
First of all, I'd like to say what a great site we have here. I've been lurking in the shadows for quite a bit and I'm really impressed with how knowledgeable a lot of you people are about your readers.

Let me get right in. Basically, I need a dedicated ereader and mainly just for reading. I live in Nigeria and we have a very limited number of ebook stores, so I'll be reading majorly free books that I can source from the web i.e google books, project gutenburg and the like. So I'm guessing I need a reader that supports non-DRM.

mp3 playback and a decent browser (Wifi) is something I'd like my reader to have, too.

Another prerequisite is that, it must be well made. I won't have access to customer care so I need a device that id free from technical issues and is not liable to crash. I'm expecting my device to last at least 2years.

I need a reader with a great display. I hear the e pearl design is the best around. High contrast and little/no glare, please. Would also like a good in-built dictionary that allows me to look up the meaning of words in any book and even while reading the particular book.

Another key thing is the ease of transferring books from my PC to the device since I'm primarily going to be reading free books sourced from the internet.

I need a device with a great battery. At least 2weeks, I guess.

Price is not an issue if it isn't too far from about $400.

From my little research, 3 readers kept popping up. Namely, the Kindle Wifi, the Nook wifi and the Sony PRS-950. So that this post isn't too long-winded, I shall give my preliminary thoughts on these 3 readers in my subsequent post.

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input as I'm as new as they come to the world of ereaders. Thank you all.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Kindle Wifi
Seems great, but I'm still not sure about its file compatibility. Also, does it support non-DRM? How about the ease of transferring books from the PC to the reader.
I also saw in a review that the Kindle is not usually expected to outlive it's 1year warantee period. Also, the general consensus seems that the Kindlecan only read books from Amazon.

Nook Wifi
Some users have complained about the battery life. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was released by Barnes & Noble in 2009 which makes it really old. I'd like a modern device.
Apparently, the dictionary only works with "Nookbooks" That's a no no for me.

Sony PRS-950
This device seems amazing! The price seems a little steep though. Also I don't know if I can get it from the UK which is where I plan to buy my reader.

I looked at the Kobo Wifi but because it has no browser, I scrapped it. However I'd still greatly appreciate your thoughts on it.

What about the Cybook, Alex reader, Bebook Neo, Aluratek, Pocketbook, etc. Is there any you would recommend?
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Well, for the Kindle, it can read non-DRM books fine, it's just a matter of getting them. You do have to have it in azw, pdf or Mobi format (or html), but you can very easily convert non-drm epubs to mobi with a user friendly program called Calibre (There's another board just for that program here). Transferring books is easy as well using Calibre, its a one click process. If you check out kindleboards.com, there are plenty of people who have had there Kindle(1) going on 3 years. I have had to return my Kindle because *I* broke it, but they replaced it for free and overnighted me a new one, with free return shipping on the broken one.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Even if you're not in USA, you can still download and buy ebooks from Amazon. But if public library ebooks is a must, you should get the Sony PRS-950b which supports epub format. Sony's eink screen is amazing and the quality and support is backed up by a reputable company like Sony.

A Kindle 3 would be a good 2nd choice giving the case of the International support and good battery life.

My 2 cents:
I've found that a great majority of those free books have a poor layout and are basically scanned pages from original books hence are difficult to read, with misaligned margins or no TOC at all so I prefer to pay 3 or 5 dollars for a nice and pure digital version instead. But that's just me.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I think you would definitely have to check if if the 3g version of the kindle works in Nigeria - the wifi would with a wireless router. Books can be transferred using usb cable.

I can't speak to its longevity as I've only had the k3 since Oct but I hope it lasts.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Sony PRS-950 seems to be, in my opinion, the best reader on the market and it seems to fit your needs well. It has 12 dictionaries included on the device. I do not own that device, but I do have the Sony PRS-550, and I would buy a Sony reader again in a heartbeat. (Actually, I am hoping to upgrade to the PRS-950 soon). Best of luck in making your choice.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Sony PRS-950 seems to be, in my opinion, the best reader on the market
As a piece of hardware, maybe. But there is not a good or big online bookstore which can backup the purchase. Unless you break DRMs, convert via Calibre, etc... then we will be talking again about the old and hammered argument of epub vs mobi.

I personally do not find any advantage on a ereader which is a "nice piece of engineering" if I will have to buy from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, break DRM protection encryption (that can change and become stronger over the time), convert via Calibre and then upload.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
As a piece of hardware, maybe. But there is not a good or big online bookstore which can backup the purchase. Unless you break DRMs, convert via Calibre, etc... then we will be talking again about the old and hammered argument of epub vs mobi.

I personally do not find any advantage on a ereader which is a "nice piece of engineering" if I will have to buy from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, break DRM protection encryption (that can change and become stronger over the time), convert via Calibre and then upload.
The OP has stated that he intends on reading mostly PD and free books. Also, there are many places to buy epub books for the Sony devices other than the Sony store.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
The OP has stated that he intends on reading mostly PD and free books. Also, there are many places to buy epub books for the Sony devices other than the Sony store.
Not talking about what the OP said but in response to your argument that the Sony is the best ereader on the market. I think that besides the hardware itself, there are other factors to consider before saying it's the best; even when you can get epub books from other stores, Sony can't beat B&N and Amazon in book's availability.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Not talking about what the OP said but in response to your argument that the Sony is the best ereader on the market. I think that besides the hardware itself, there are other factors to consider before saying it's the best; even when you can get epub books from other stores, Sony can't beat B&N and Amazon in book's availability.
For my purposes, and in my opinion, it seems to be the best reader currently on the market. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Might I add that the OP specifically mentions that he wants a well-made device, as he wants it to last several years. I believe that the Sony PRS-950 (or the 350 or 650 too, for that matter) would serve him very well to that extent.

Also, with geo-restrictions, and the fact that the OP lives in Nigeria, it is questionable whether he would be able to take advantage of Amazon or B&N's bookstores.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 01-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
For my purposes, and in my opinion, it seems to be the best reader currently on the market. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion.
Fair enough.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Have a look at the ereaders at borders usa, they are a lot cheaper than the local prices here (australia) and they will ship here at a reasonable price, I don't know if they will ship to nigeria, maybe worth a look.
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
The Kindle 3G works in a lot of Nigeria - go to this link, and then click on Global 3G to see the precise coverage: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles.../dp/B002FQJT3Q.

This would allow you to order books from Amazon (there are hundreds of thousands of free PD books at Amazon) from the device, without a computer. It *may* also allow you to use the web browser without wifi - that varies from country to country. Of course you can always browse if you have wifi, or just download books to your computer and sideload them with a USB cable.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I would go with the Sony. I love my Nook, but the Sony has a better battery and much better dictionary. The Nook's dictionary does work with non B&N books, but the Sony's is much easier to use and has language support.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote