Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-10-2023, 03:20 AM   #121
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The very thin ereaders have a cut-out in the alloy chassis for the Li-Poly cell which rests against the screen. That's what the not actually very thin Cover Story had. The recent Kobos I've examined have alloy chassis over entire pack of screen, with just reinforcing ribs missing from casting at battery (really a cell) location so that it can't damage the screen. I call that a premium design

The cells often swell with age anyway.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:21 AM   #122
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
We will have to go back to the days of the Onyx Boox Firefly (a magnificent e-reader, by the way), with its metal plate to prevent deformation.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I can't complain about the runtime - it lasts for about 50 hours of reading.
And I prefer light with 50 hours than heavy with 200.
However, I would be even lighter and 10 hours too little.
I would prefer heavier with more runtime.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:21 AM   #124
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would prefer heavier with more runtime.
Why? Don't you have any sockets at home?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:57 AM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why? Don't you have any sockets at home?
The more power to the battery, the longer the battery lasts with a good enough charge between charges.

Until the EU law comes into play, we have devices without an easily changeable battery.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #126
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The more power to the battery, the longer the battery lasts with a good enough charge between charges.
1.000 charges * 50 hours are 50.000 reading-hours!
When reading 10 hours a day = 5.000 days!
And I'm supposed to sling around even heavier weight for that?
Old 07-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
1.000 charges * 50 hours are 50.000 reading-hours!
When reading 10 hours a day = 5.000 days!
And I'm supposed to sling around even heavier weight for that?
If that's what it takes yes. But I want a heftier battery then that. There is such a thing as too light and too thin which can make the device not all that easy to hold.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #128
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
There is such a thing as too light and too thin which can make the device not all that easy to hold.
I hold them in my left hand and it very much depends on how the devices are built - I read those > 6 inches in two columns in landscape format.

Due to the thin bezel, I can only hold the index finger on the left, thumb down and then the middle finger on the back for those with the keys at the bottom; 200 g is already heavy for me and I'm happy about the Leaf2 weight.

With the Boox Tab Mini C, the 310 g don't bother me - I hold my thumb and the ball of my thumb in front and the other fingers on the back very securely on the edge, which is wide in this position
Old 07-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #129
Vrondi
Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (First Gen).
Wow, I feel very bad for OP, who triggered a bunch of opinionated spouting of personal preferences. Very few commenters who seemed to care about OP's own actual use case preferences, merely their own very subjective preferences and interpretations. Nobody even mentioned battery life, either (or asked OP how important that was to them) when recommending a device.

Last edited by issybird; 07-14-2023 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Edited to conform to the Guidelines.
Vrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #130
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrondi View Post
Wow, I feel very bad for OP, who triggered a bunch of opinionated spouting of personal preferences.
That's what you'll get if you ask for "the best". There is no best, only what someone considers the best, and it's always subjective. No such thing as "the best ereader" objectively exists.

The OP didn't mention battery life in their post; why should the recommendations mention it? The OP got exactly what they asked - suggestions by other members what they consider the best ereader, taking into account the features the OP listed as important (build quality, screen size, warm light, good screen). Do you think you can answer better than that? Why don't you do it, then, instead of playing the net nanny? Aren't you feeling superior now to the rest of us opinionated bunch?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:30 PM   #131
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrondi View Post
Wow, I feel very bad for OP, who triggered a bunch of opinionated spouting of personal preferences. ...
I wouldn't shed too many crocodile tears for the OP. It took him/her about 22 hours to decide to buy the Boox Page (post #19 in this thread on July 5th). Most of the posts in this thread came after that decision had been made.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote