Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Saving file off my kobo - what format?

When I access my Kobo in Calibre and safe a book to a file, it saves in a format that I am not familiar with. The filename is a seemingly random hash of characters, with no file extension.

I was hoping to save as .epub.

Does anyone know what the format is?

Thanks,
Mike
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the book is one you have downloaded via WiFi OR one of the original free books from Kobo 1 and Kobo WiFI OR via Kobo Desktop and sync'ed to the unit, it is what we call a "KePub"; kobo's own, DRM'ed ePub like format and unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

However, for most books bought from Kobo you also have the option of downloading from their web site a standard ePub format that you can then use in Adobe Digital Edition. Of course, those purchased ePubs are also DRM protected....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
However, for most books bought from Kobo you also have the option of downloading from their web site a standard ePub format that you can then use in Adobe Digital Edition. Of course, those purchased ePubs are also DRM protected....
Ah, thanks. That worked.
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote