Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #106
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Get this Very Highly Rated Legal Thriller/Suspense for $20 Less than at Audible!

Plus, get the ebook and syncing of the two of them together, free. Because this is a Whispersync deal!

Title: Dead Winter (The Brady Coyne Mysteries Book 8).
Genre: Fiction (Legal Thriller/Suspense).
Author(s): William G. Tapply.
Price: $4.98 ($0.99 ebook (marked down) + $3.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $24.95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.6 stars/9 reviews (Amazon); 3.85/126 ratings (GoodReads).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 4.8/4 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 279/7 hours and 45 minutes.
Narrator(s): Stephen Hoye.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...ok/B00GO57F26/.
Amazon URL (can get the whole Whispersync deal here): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ4GTJO/.
Comments:
Book Description (Amazon):
When a minister’s son is accused of murder, Brady doesn’t know whom to trust

Desmond Winters has had more trouble than a Unitarian minister deserves. Over six years ago, his wife disappeared with their fourteen-year-old daughter, promising to return someday. The daughter came back after six months; the wife never did. The experience scarred Desmond’s son, Marc, who acted out by getting involved with cocaine smugglers and marrying an exotic dancer. Through all his troubles, Des was counseled by Brady Coyne, a sensitive lawyer to Boston’s elite. But now something has happened that even Brady may not be able to fix: Marc’s wife is dead, and the minister’s son is the prime suspect.

Marc finds Maggie dead in their boat, and calls the police immediately. Brady doesn’t believe Marc murdered his wife, but he also knows that in this family, anything is possible. It could be drugs, it could be the missing mother—but a beautiful young girl is dead, and Brady Coyne needs to know why.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-25-2016 at 06:30 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #107
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Now through January 28th (11:59 PT) books 1-9 in the John Wells series by Alex Berenson are on sale for $4.95 each at Audible...

http://www.audible.com/mt/JohnWells/..._rd_s=center-2
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #108
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Highly Rated History of the Crimea in WWII--Audible $26.95; WS Deal Only $5.98!

It seems to me that the Crimea has experienced more than its share of military incursions, wars, and such like over the years. It's like the Balkans, in that respect.

Unlike the Balkans, however, it seems like the Crimea has received less than its fair share of attention in history books. Although I consider myself an amateurish (stripping away the negative connotations of that word--I hope!) student of history, until about 3 or 4 years ago I did not know that any of World War II had been fought there! Perhaps this book will serve a remedial function to me on the subject.

Although I genuinely hate to post ebooks, audiobooks, or anything else this expensive, the price of $5.98 on this Whispersync deal is still only 22% of what the audio (alone--no ebook and syncing) is at Audible!

Title: Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941-44.
Genre: Non-Fiction (Military History).
Author(s): Robert Forczyk.
Price: $5.98 ($1.99 ebook (marked down) + $3.99 Whispersync audio).
Regular Price of Audio, by Itself, at Audible: $26.95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews: 4.2 stars/66 reviews (Amazon).
Audio Rating/Number of Ratings: 3.8/66 ratings.
Pages/Audio Length: 304/13 hours and 29 minutes.
Narrator(s): Michael Prichard.
Audible URL: http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Wh...ok/B00S5E15Z2/.
Amazon URL (can get the whole Whispersync deal here): amazon.com/Where-Iron-Crosses-Grow-Military-ebook/dp/B00M60QPFG/.
Comments: The sale on the ebook ends January 31.
Book Description (Amazon):
Nazi and Soviet armies fought over the Crimean Peninsula for three long years using sieges, dozens of amphibious landings, and large scale maneuvers. This definitive English-language work on the savage battle for the Crimea, Where the Iron Crosses Grow sheds new light on this vital aspect of the Eastern Front.

The Crimea was one of the crucibles of the war on the Eastern Front, where first a Soviet and then a German army were surrounded, fought desperate battles and were eventually destroyed. The fighting in the region was unusual for the Eastern Front in many ways, in that naval supply, amphibious landings and naval evacuation played major roles, while both sides were also conducting ethnic cleansing as part of their strategy - the Germans eliminating the Jews and the Soviets to purging the region of Tartars.

From 1941, when the first Soviets first created the Sevastopol fortified region, the Crimea was a focal point of the war in the East. German forces under the noted commander Manstein conquered the area in 1941-42, which was followed by two years of brutal colonization and occupation before the Soviet counteroffensive in 1944 destroyed the German 17th Army.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-28-2016 at 03:43 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #109
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Downpour Rental of the Week -- exp 01 Feb
  • $1.99 -- The Mare -- Mary Gaitskill -- read by Kyla Garcia; et al (14.7 hrs)
Quote:
Velveteen Vargas is an eleven-year-old from Brooklyn who is granted a summer vacation in the country, courtesy of the nonprofit Fresh Air Fund. Her host family is a couple in upstate New York: Ginger, a failed artist on the fringe of Alcoholics Anonymous, and Paul, an academic who wonders what it will mean to “make a difference” in such a contrived situation. Here we see the couple’s changing relationship with Velvet over the course of several years, as well as Velvet’s powerful encounter with the horses at the stable down the road, as Gaitskill weaves together Velvet’s vital inner-city community and the privileged country world of Ginger and Paul.

The timeless story of a girl and a horse is joined with the story of people from different races and socioeconomic backgrounds trying to meet one another honestly. It is a novel that is raw, striking, and completely original.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #110
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
After cancelling my current discounted membership today, I tried to click the Amazon Prime one without a Prime membership. It told me I couldn't get the Prime deal, but I could get a normal free trial. I took it and got another 2 credits. So hopefully that one is active again for prior members.
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #111
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
New freebie from Audible! If you interested in "Les Liaisons Dangereuses: Read by the Cast of the Stage Play" by Choderlos de Laclos you can get it here.

Quote:
From the sumptuous private drawing rooms of 18th-century Paris to the decadent estates and chateaus of the French countryside, La Marquise de Merteuil and Le Vicomte de Valmont hatch a long-distance plan of vengeance and seduction.

Valmont is determined to conquer the famously pious Madame de Tourvel, whose husband is abroad on business. However, Merteuil has other plans. She enlists his involvement in the seduction of a young convent girl, Cécile Volanges, the wife-to-be of the Marquise's former lover. But as they race toward the culmination of their plans, events start to spiral out of control, and they realise that they might not be as in control of their hearts as once they thought.
No idea how long it'll be free, so don't hesitate if it's your cup of tea.

Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #112
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
New freebie from Audible! If you interested in "Les Liaisons Dangereuses: Read by the Cast of the Stage Play" by Choderlos de Laclos you can get it here.

Quote:
From the sumptuous private drawing rooms of 18th-century Paris to the decadent estates and chateaus of the French countryside, La Marquise de Merteuil and Le Vicomte de Valmont hatch a long-distance plan of vengeance and seduction.

Valmont is determined to conquer the famously pious Madame de Tourvel, whose husband is abroad on business. However, Merteuil has other plans. She enlists his involvement in the seduction of a young convent girl, Cécile Volanges, the wife-to-be of the Marquise's former lover. But as they race toward the culmination of their plans, events start to spiral out of control, and they realise that they might not be as in control of their hearts as once they thought.
Just an FYI (and apologies if I missed it in the original post), this a "excerpts from" - about 2 hours worth.

I'm at work and can't listen to the sample - can't tell if this is actually in French or what. (With the title, I was expecting it to be French).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm at work and can't listen to the sample - can't tell if this is actually in French or what. (With the title, I was expecting it to be French).
English
Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #114
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just an FYI (and apologies if I missed it in the original post), this a "excerpts from" - about 2 hours worth.
It's not excerpts, it's a play. That's about the right length for a play.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #115
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not excerpts, it's a play. That's about the right length for a play.
I was going from the image cover "Extracts from the novel by...". That sounds like excerpts to me. If that's all that's in the play, it sounds rather silly to me (although entirely possible).
Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #116
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
I was going from the image cover "Extracts from the novel by...". That sounds like excerpts to me. If that's all that's in the play, it sounds rather silly to me (although entirely possible).
Any time I've seen a book "adapted" for stage or screen I think it's been abridged. Usually a decent length book just won't adapt without some trimming. I think you'll get a complete story out of the play, but there will be some parts of the book missing.

On a related note, have you ever checked out a YouTube channel called "Honest Trailers?" They are hilarious spoofs of what the trailer "should" have said if they were really being honest about the movie. The one for "The Hunger Games" replaces the usual "starring" reel of actors or characters with "NOT starring these important parts of the book."
Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #117
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Any time I've seen a book "adapted" for stage or screen I think it's been abridged. Usually a decent length book just won't adapt without some trimming. I think you'll get a complete story out of the play, but there will be some parts of the book missing.
The full book is 15+ hours long.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #118
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Going by the description it's read by the cast of the play. They're reading excerpts from the book, not the play itself.

Looks like a promo for the play currently running...
http://www.donmarwarehouse.com/whats...ns-dangereuses

EDIT: More info
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...-Free-20160127
Quote:
Audible Studios has just released a new, free audio-original production in conjunction with Les Liaisons Dangereuses in London, starring Elaine Cassidy, Dominic West and Janet McTeer. The 90-minute audiobook features 90 minutes of love letters from the show, as performed by the stars of Christopher Hampton's production at Donmar Warehouse.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #119
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Going by the description it's read by the cast of the play. They're reading excerpts from the book, not the play itself.

Looks like a promo for the play currently running...
http://www.donmarwarehouse.com/whats...ns-dangereuses

EDIT: More info
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...-Free-20160127
Er... eh... maybe not. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #120
FizzyWater

Quote:
Er... eh... maybe not. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.
You didn't waste anyone's time. When I originally posted it was 2 hours and excerpts, it was just so folks were aware and could make a choice with all the details. It's just a case of knowing what you're getting.

I was more concerned about the English/French question (that our monkey leader answered) than the length of audiobook! Me no sprechen ze Francez.