Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
MrMonkey
MrMonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Your preferred third party reader app for an Onyx Boox device?

I've been using an Onyx Boox Note3 for a week or so. The stock reader app (Neoreader) is decent but I find it's missing a few features.

I tried Moon+ Reader first and the functionality is great, but I could not seem to get rid of (or get used to) a faint 'ghosting' around the letters. I tried changing fonts and color settings but the ghosting remained and was not present in any other app.

I've since switched to Librera which is excellent (and free) although I can't seem to get the font exactly how I like it.

Which app do you recommend?
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonkey View Post
Which app do you recommend?
I use Alreader and the pocketbook app for DRM books
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
KnownReader or CoolReader.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Moon+ Reader Pro because, so far, it is the only reading app which I have found which can handle furigana in Japanese properly.

I also like how you can set various dictionary/app options for a long or a short press on a word. Very useful when reading in a foreign language.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
In order of preference: Moon Reader Pro, KOReader, Librera Pro.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
KOReader.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Koreader.

The slight ghosting that is only present in Moonreader is strange, though.
It seems that App Optimization is responsible. Whenever an app is badly displayed, I reset all and start again. (I don’t know whether it’s the cloud optimization or that multiple apps share settings, but it happens.)
App Optimization is most accessible if it’s accessible through the Navigation Ball. Then you tap the ball, select the Optimization icon, select the Other tab, tap Reset all.

Last edited by Markismus; 11-15-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #8
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
KOReader - allows me to do whatever I need, pretty fast, optimized for e-ink, tons of tweaks and if I need something, I can always add it myself. Bonus points, since recently you can set book cover as screensaver image.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I will add FB Reader as another app which seems to work OK on an eink screen. That said, KnownReader is currently my default on my Poke 2.

I really like all the functionality of Koreader (I have it on both of my Kobos), but it is the only reader app I have tried which causes my Poke to slow down or freeze.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Moon+ Reader Pro because, so far, it is the only reading app which I have found which can handle furigana in Japanese properly.

I also like how you can set various dictionary/app options for a long or a short press on a word. Very useful when reading in a foreign language.
Does Moon+ Reader Pro handle vertical text? The free version doesn’t and I didn’t really want to spend $10 only to find out that doesn’t either.

Google Books is another option. It handles furigana and vertical text and you can upload books to it. It’s the best option I’ve found outside Kindle and Kobo and the only one that lets you use your own books.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
Mano_26
Mano_26 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Are there any good alternative readers that run both on the onyx and on windows?
Mano_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano_26 View Post
Are there any good alternative readers that run both on the onyx and on windows?
No .
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano_26
Coolreader and FBReader are both available on Android and Windows. Sadly their win version is not updated anymore. One of the latest binaries for Coolreader can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cre...1.zip/download (2015)

There's also Freda, a modern epub reader available for Win and Android.

Good or not is subjective. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice
Does Moon+ Reader Pro handle vertical text? The free version doesn’t and I didn’t really want to spend $10 only to find out that doesn’t either.
Nope. Vertical text requires a full browser backend, like webkit, webengine or webview. I do remember reading somewhere that Moon fallbacks to a webview backend on *some* PDF's, but their epub reader does not.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
librera pro for using it with columns on vertical and custom fonts, as is the only one that have that 2 page mode on vertical feature.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Sadly, no. It presents Japanese text horizontally. But reading Japanese horizontally is not a significant issue in my opinion so long as any furigana are rendered correctly.

So many reading apps just place the furigana directly after the kanji which not only disrupts the flow of reading, but also makes it virtually impossible to use a dictionary for words and phrases consisting of more than one kanji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Google Books is another option. It handles furigana and vertical text and you can upload books to it. It’s the best option I’ve found outside Kindle and Kobo and the only one that lets you use your own books.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to try it sometime.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote