Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
How do I install apps from unknown sources on NookHD

I have a NookHD and am trying to install an APK that did not come from Google, but am getting en error message that says "Install blocked. For security, your NOOK is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Nook App Store."

I've looked in all the settings, and I don't see a setting to modify this. I have installed apps from Google Play before, but this APK is for a previous version of an app and was not obtained from the Play store. I've reviewed all the settings and also looked online, but did not see a way to modify this setting.

Am I overlooking something, or is there no way to allow content from unknown sources on the NookHD?

Thanks in advance for any information.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I have a NookHD and am trying to install an APK that did not come from Google, but am getting en error message that says "Install blocked. For security, your NOOK is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Nook App Store."

I've looked in all the settings, and I don't see a setting to modify this. I have installed apps from Google Play before, but this APK is for a previous version of an app and was not obtained from the Play store. I've reviewed all the settings and also looked online, but did not see a way to modify this setting.

Am I overlooking something, or is there no way to allow content from unknown sources on the NookHD?

Thanks in advance for any information.

SteveK
B&N disabled installing from "unknown sources" on the HD and HD+. You can either root your HD (which isn't trivial; B&N also added protection against modifying system files) or use adb.

If you're willing to install the Android SDK, you'll get a command line tool called "adb" (the Android debugging tool). There's then a setting to "enable USB debugging" on the NOOK that needs to be set. If you connect the NOOK to your PC with the cable, you can download whatever.apk to your PC and use the command "adb install whatever.apk" to transfer the file to the NOOK and install it.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Thanks- at least I don't feel foolish for overlooking an obvious setting!

I'll have to decide if it's worth it to install the apk for one app, especially since the NookHD is no longer my primary tablet.

Thanks for the information as I definitely would not have come up with that on my own.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
B&N disabled installing from "unknown sources" on the HD and HD+. You can either root your HD (which isn't trivial; B&N also added protection against modifying system files) ...
You can enable "unknown source" by flashing a small zip file available at same the referenced link.
Quote:
If you're willing to install the Android SDK, you'll get a command line tool called "adb" (the Android debugging tool). There's then a setting to "enable USB debugging" on the NOOK that needs to be set ...
I don't recall seeing the option to enable ADB on the stock ROM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I don't recall seeing the option to enable ADB on the stock ROM.
Settings->Device Information->Developer options->Enable ADB

It took me a while to figure out where they put the developer options.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert