Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Anyone store their library elsewhere, and only use Calibre to edit ebooks?

Hi there:

Earlier I posted a thread about how to get my Calibre library to sync with iBooks. I didn't want to manually add things, because sometimes it might be hard to know what had been added previously.

This got me thinking... why not just use iBooks to actually store my library, then Calibre would just be an intermediate step to edit metadata and the like. Download, edit in Calibre, move to iBooks. Nothing ever permanently stays in Calibre.

Any downsides to this?
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
Hi there:

Earlier I posted a thread about how to get my Calibre library to sync with iBooks. I didn't want to manually add things, because sometimes it might be hard to know what had been added previously.

This got me thinking... why not just use iBooks to actually store my library, then Calibre would just be an intermediate step to edit metadata and the like. Download, edit in Calibre, move to iBooks. Nothing ever permanently stays in Calibre.

Any downsides to this?
Technically probably not.

Does iBooks cater for calibre's metadata, in particular Series and any custom columns you might want.

Why don't you create a new library, copy some books into it and try it out. Downsides are likely to be procedural and you can probably overcome them by adjusting the workflow.

You could also use the Command Line functions then you wouldn't have a library to worry about.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-02-2020 at 10:30 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh and dont forget in catalina apple broke ibooks https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250717809
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
TortoiseAvenger
Enthusiast
TortoiseAvenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I tried it out, and I did see that none of my cover art transferred, which seems somewhat silly to care about, but I do.
TortoiseAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote