Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #1471
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
1. Does https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/wi...cRack-metadata help?
2. KCC does support landscape reading in the latest v5.6.3. If you are using a Kindle 4 from 2011, it may be unsupported however.

The resolution issue may be helped if you use HQ panel mode? Maximum resolution supported by KindleGen is 1920x1440

For reading on Android/PCs, you should be using a CBZ reader.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #1472
akazukincha
akazukincha began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara hd
Can you guys still sideload .mobi file format manga on your kindles? I read amazon has stopped its support on .mobi file. What are the other file formats of manga that can be sideloaded to kindle?
akazukincha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 09:31 AM   #1473
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akazukincha View Post
Can you guys still sideload .mobi file format manga on your kindles? I read amazon has stopped its support on .mobi file. What are the other file formats of manga that can be sideloaded to kindle?
Only for "Send to Kindle" (email or website). No sideloaded format is affected. They even still deliver mobi if it's an ancient ebook uploaded in mobi (not possible for years, uses epub & docx), or if you have one of the four ancient Kindles that only accepts mobi (technically those may work with PDFs).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:50 PM   #1474
Lief
Enthusiast
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/wiki/Metadata

Have you played with the the "Spread splitter" option?

Both have been available in KCC since forever.
spread splitter will rotate images for what I know... I tried a lot of option but I was not able to create a real epub. but I will try again the last version since so many people say it can be done.
Didn't know about the update on the metadata.

PS. Spread split only allow to:
1. Double pages will be cut in two separate pages (but my pages are already cut). With this option I'm sure it will only diplay single pages on kindle pc I tried again.
2. Display twice first rotate after that split... not sure why I should want rotate double pages on pc... I don't want that.
3. Rotate double pages... I don't want to rotate any page.

I don't think any option will actually diplay two pages landscape mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
For reading on Android/PCs, you should be using a CBZ reader.
I don't like cbz format. I want my manga to be all in standard epub and/or mobi/azw3.
CBZ are just zipped files...

Last edited by Lief; 11-15-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #1475
axu2
Connoisseur

In v5.6.3 I can switch settings on my kindle to either read single pages in portrait or double pages in landscape. The spread split option does not matter if the pages are already split.

But KCC files are optimized for kindle eink devices and may look off on other devices. Even selecting the wrong Kindle profile for your device (e.g. selecting Kindle 11 profile for a Kindle PW 5) can cause issues.

And EPUBS are also just zipped files.

Last edited by axu2; 11-15-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #1476
Lief
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
In v5.6.3 I can switch settings on my kindle to either read single pages in portrait or double pages in landscape. The spread split option does not matter if the pages are already split.

But KCC files are optimized for kindle eink devices and may look off on other devices.
Ok so maybe it is a limitation because the file made by KCC cannot show double pages on kindle pc and my old kindle 4.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #1477
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief View Post
Ok so maybe it is a limitation because the file made by KCC cannot show double pages on kindle pc and my old kindle 4.
I get what you mean now. Unfortunately, the ability to display two page together on Kindle is limited to the Amazon KFX Format. And it isn't even a horizontal image. It's left and right page, and Kindle software stitch them together when displaying such page.

KFX Comic/Manga can only be created by Kindle Create and conversion of the resulting KPF file to KFX using the calibre's KFX Output Plugin command line mode (NOT the GUI). You will have to set the page as Left page and Right page accordingly in the Kindle Create software. There are no known way to automate the process.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #1478
Lief
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I get what you mean now. Unfortunately, the ability to display two page together on Kindle is limited to the Amazon KFX Format. And it isn't even a horizontal image. It's left and right page, and Kindle software stitch them together when displaying such page.

KFX Comic/Manga can only be created by Kindle Create and conversion of the resulting KPF file to KFX using the calibre's KFX Output Plugin command line mode (NOT the GUI). You will have to set the page as Left page and Right page accordingly in the Kindle Create software. There are no known way to automate the process.
Actually KFX Comic/Manga can only be downloaded on the last Kindle PC version and are only created with Kindle Create.
It was and still is already possible to download azw3 files with Kindle PC and to create mobi files with the old Kindle Comic Creator, or convert a compatible epub created with the tool that I suggested and send it to kindle (that will download a mobi file, not KFX).
Maybe you are right and that process cannot be automated with the current interface of KCC (both Kindle Create, Epub Manga Creator and Kindle Comic Creator got an interface made to show the pages that you can change to decide the position).
Old 11-17-2023, 03:48 PM   #1479
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aval1251 View Post
Using v5.6.3 and got an "Unsupported archive forrmat" error trying to turn a .cbz into a .mobi. Is there something I should be doing differently?
Fixed in v5.6.4

Last edited by axu2; 11-30-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #1480
Gunslinger.KW
Gunslinger.KW began at the beginning.

Hello everyone,

I need help with getting the cover images display on my Kindle Scribe library.

I tried everything I found online and couldn't get it to work.

I tired leaving the Kindle connected via USB while converting.

I tried adding the .mobi files to Calibre and sending them to my device from there.

The files work perfectly fine but the cover images do not show up on my Kindle.

Is there any step that I'm missing?

Thank you for your help.
Gunslinger.KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:30 PM   #1481
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger.KW View Post
I need help with getting the cover images display on my Kindle Scribe library.

I tired leaving the Kindle connected via USB while converting.
It's a known issue, due to Kindle Scribe now using MTP transfer protocol instead of USB Mass Storage like all other Kindles after a firmware update on 2023/08/30.

https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/issues/508

No way to fix unless KCC or Calibre update their code to use a python MTP library, if it's even possible.

UPDATE:

Hacky workaround:

Plug in a flash drive that will pretend to be kindle. Must be fat32 or msdos fat
Create system/thumbnails and documents folders at root of flash drive. Based on https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/bl.../kindle.py#L42
Convert with KCC and thumbnails will be generated there.
Copy the thumbnails onto your Scribe in the appropriate location. On Mac use MTP client Android File Transfer. Remember, on mac/linux only 1 program can access mtp at a time, so calibre running will interfere.
To create a fake physical flash drive, refer to https://support.apple.com/guide/disk...skutl11888/mac
and use msdos format.

Last edited by axu2; 11-24-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:24 AM   #1482
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamamaster View Post
Got an issue with 5.6.3 where i get the list 'index out of range'.

I do use ComicRack to combine the files into one large book.
Is this an overall ComicRack issue?
Fixed in v5.6.4!

Last edited by axu2; 11-30-2023 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:10 PM   #1483
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For now convert to KFX and tick the PDOC option.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:21 AM   #1484
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey guys, what type of upscaler does KCC use?
Can I use waifu2x in command line somehow?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #1485
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Hey guys, what type of upscaler does KCC use?
Can I use waifu2x in command line somehow?
It used a BICUBIC algorithm. https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/bl.../image.py#L331
No other options.

Last edited by axu2; 11-21-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools