Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #1456
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
it's not space efficient to dither and use jpg compression
While this is can be technically correct, I still find that for most manga image, PNG is still bigger than JPG, so JPG is still more space efficient. It's true that adding dithering will result in worse compression in JPEG, but such is life. All digital cameras use dithering and still save in JPEG. And KCC still use Floyd Steinburg dithering to this day.

The operation order problem stated in the pull request is absolutely correct but has since been fixed.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #1457
sgt123456
sgt123456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi there ! I have a question just about curiosity.

How it is that in kcc there is an option to output a EPUB (Calibre KFX) file when the KFX output plugin can’t deal with fixed layout epubs ?

Does anyone use this output option in any way ?

Just want to know
sgt123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #1458
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt123456 View Post

How it is that in kcc there is an option to output a EPUB (Calibre KFX) file when the KFX output plugin can’t deal with fixed layout epubs ?

Just want to know
Refer here: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/is...ment-403381324

More info in the `Converting Comics and Manga:` section here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272407

Last edited by axu2; 10-06-2023 at 01:55 AM.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:14 PM   #1459
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt123456 View Post

Just want to know
KCC will output EPUB that is designed to be convert to KFX using calibre GUI and KFX Output Plugin. This will produce reflowable KFX with one images per page rather than proper Comic/Manga KFX. There are no known automated way to create Comic/Manga KFX --- if you wanted one you need to use Kindle Create and CLI method.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:03 AM   #1460
erkler
erkler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle scribe
Merging MOBI files

Sorry if people already asked the same question.
So I converted a manga in to a MOBI file, but since its too big for 1 file it got split in to 8. I would like to merge it in 1 MOBI file. Is that possible?
I already tried to convert the them in to EPUB, merge them and convert back to MOBI, but it messed up the manga with some blank pages and over all the pages didnt fit on the screen anymore.
erkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #1461
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkler View Post
Sorry if people already asked the same question.
So I converted a manga in to a MOBI file, but since its too big for 1 file it got split in to 8. I would like to merge it in 1 MOBI file. Is that possible?
I already tried to convert the them in to EPUB, merge them and convert back to MOBI, but it messed up the manga with some blank pages and over all the pages didnt fit on the screen anymore.
No, it's not, a limitation of Kindlegen. More info here: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/issues/563
Old 10-23-2023, 10:06 PM   #1462
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
While this is can be technically correct, I still find that for most manga image, PNG is still bigger than JPG, so JPG is still more space efficient. It's true that adding dithering will result in worse compression in JPEG, but such is life. All digital cameras use dithering and still save in JPEG. And KCC still use Floyd Steinburg dithering to this day.

The operation order problem stated in the pull request is absolutely correct but has since been fixed.
Hardly on topic rant:

Digital cameras don't dither, they tend to compress jpegs a little even on highest compression settings. Either that, or the fact that jpegs are 8-bit only, may cause some artefacts. Jpegs are secondary quality, mainly it's RAW's that are used for serious work. RAW is compete sensors read-out, it handles 16-bit, but is limited by dynamic range of digital sensors, so it's colour capturing capabilities range from 12 to 14 bits.

Regarding quality difference and dithering of PNG's and Jpeg's. PNG is superior format, no questions about that, it supports 16bit and is entirely lossless. But you can safely go with jpegs at maximum quality (low compression), or even have them slightly compressed at around 90-95%, and you won't be able to see any differences at all. If you 'compress' jpeg at maximum quality, it'll be near identical to PNG. Basically, it's no compression, besides going down to 8-bit. When discussing black and white comics, this results in no difference at all. It'd be possible to see differences on tonally complex black and white drawings, and on variously dithered black and white images.

Concerning dithering and display of BW images on eink screens things become more complex. First you have screens that are extremely low bit. Software of the devices dithers everything that's over that level on it's own, to various result. To get the best results, it's best to dither an image beforehand manually. It's more creative, and offers higher levels of customization of the output. My process of converting photos for e-ink screensavers and covers involves converting them to BW, adjusting contrasts, then dithering them via Ximagic pluging in Photoshop at very low levels. I always save them in at 100% jpeg, just to be sure.

With that in mind we come to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
It's true that adding dithering will result in worse compression in JPEG
Dithering and high Jpeg compression indeed is bad. At least for more complex images. It mashes dithered look with jpeg compression artefacts, and can cause ruinous results. PNG is a sure solution, but high quality jpeg output is just as effective.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:09 PM   #1463
innocenat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Digital cameras don't dither, they tend to compress jpegs a little even on highest compression settings. Either that, or the fact that jpegs are 8-bit only, may cause some artefacts. Jpegs are secondary quality, mainly it's RAW's that are used for serious work. RAW is compete sensors read-out, it handles 16-bit, but is limited by dynamic range of digital sensors, so it's colour capturing capabilities range from 12 to 14 bits.
You are saying that digital camera, when saving to JPEG, after performing gamma compression from the 16-bit raw, just truncate the result and not doing some kind of dithering? While I don't have resource on hand to confirm or deny that, I find it unlikely that don't at least do ordered dithering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Concerning dithering and display of BW images on eink screens things become more complex. First you have screens that are extremely low bit. Software of the devices dithers everything that's over that level on it's own, to various result.
I am not sure if Kindle even do any dithering outside of cover images. My experience with Kindle is that it posterized all over. Hence needing dithering beforehand.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:22 AM   #1464
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Conversion to jpeg doesn't include dithering as that massively reduces ability to compress. At high compressions you do get increasingly worse artefacts on edges which might look like noise or dithering.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #1465
Saircov
Saircov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th edition
Hello.
I do apologise if my message may sound repetitive, but I couldn’t find anything that could help me.
I have never had problems with KCC before on my Mac. I have now installed it into my windows laptop and KCC now completely changes the order of the pages of the file (pdf). I tried different settings but still the problem persists. Does anyone have the same problem?
Saircov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #1466
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saircov View Post
Hello.
I do apologise if my message may sound repetitive, but I couldn’t find anything that could help me.
I have never had problems with KCC before on my Mac. I have now installed it into my windows laptop and KCC now completely changes the order of the pages of the file (pdf). I tried different settings but still the problem persists. Does anyone have the same problem?
Fixed in v5.6.4

(Also, did you ever get confused between the Kindle 11 profile and the Kindle PW 5 profile?)

Last edited by axu2; 11-30-2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #1467
Saircov
Saircov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
That is a known issue, this is the fix for pdf page order: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/pull/589

If it works for you, please leave a comment on the GitHub repo confirming it works.

(Also, did you ever get confused between the Kindle 11 profile and the Kindle PW 5 profile?)

Thank you for your reply.
No I didn't get confused between the two Kindle models, luckly hahaha. I have a PW 5.
Thank you also for your advice. I am not an expert so I don't think I will be able to make a use of the link you posted.
Saircov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #1468
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saircov View Post
Thank you for your reply.
No I didn't get confused between the two Kindle models, luckly hahaha. I have a PW 5.
Thank you also for your advice. I am not an expert so I don't think I will be able to make a use of the link you posted.
Fixed in v5.6.4

Last edited by axu2; 11-30-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #1469
Lief
Enthusiast
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I thought I'd make this post to make it clear what's wrong with this tool because for years it has been really useful but it has always had quite important flaws for me that I think can be managed.

1. Editing metadata. The fact that the author is set as KCC and that it is not possible to configure it differently is extremely annoying. I understand wanting to "leave a mark" but from an open source app you expect a little more freedom.

2. Landscape mode. Most official manga release will give you a file where you can read 2 pages in landscape (really confortable to read on a PC screen for example). The best thing about this is that you can, in portrait mode read double pages as single pages, but you can switch to landscape to see them both side by side. KCC always force the single pages view with panel (I never liked that mode).

Problem is for a long time I was only aware of KCC (this app) or Kindle Comic Converter (that can only create manga for 1280x800 resolution) or Kindle Create (that can only create kpf files).

I suggest you try to integrate what this open source app can do:
https://wing-kai.github.io/epub-manga-creator/

I was able to discover it yesterday and I decided to uninstall both KCC and Kindle Comic Creator (I'm trying to transfer a lot of manga from my kobo library to the new kindle web cloud since they now accept 200mb files and the new Kindle PC app drm it is now removable... I like the Kindle android and PC app to read manga... I only found a good alternative in Cover for epub on PC).

You should undestand that panels is not great for manga and for big screen, and that only the official apps (Kindle and Kobo) and Cover on pc are great to read fixed layout epub/amazon formats (but Kobo does not accept epub from external sources), so KCC right now it's only good if you are reading on really small screen or if you are reading a regular comic with regular square.
Of course many people will still use it since it is easy to use and most people don't know about the alternatives like the one I posted... But it should be possible to implement an alternative mode for landscape and allow people to change the metadata.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 PM   #1470
innocenat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief View Post

1. Editing metadata. The fact that the author is set as KCC and that it is not possible to configure it differently is extremely annoying. I understand wanting to "leave a mark" but from an open source app you expect a little more freedom.
https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/wiki/Metadata

Quote:
2. Landscape mode. Most official manga release will give you a file where you can read 2 pages in landscape (really confortable to read on a PC screen for example). The best thing about this is that you can, in portrait mode read double pages as single pages, but you can switch to landscape to see them both side by side. KCC always force the single pages view with panel (I never liked that mode).
Have you played with the the "Spread splitter" option?

Quote:
But it should be possible to implement an alternative mode for landscape and allow people to change the metadata.
Both have been available in KCC since forever.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools