Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 PM   #1
enterthev0id
enterthev0id began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Unhappy No wifi networks found in PW3

Hi everyone.

I'm new in this forum and using kindle as well.

I bought an secondhand Kindle PW3 and I can't connect to WiFi, when I try to select the Wi-Fi network I get the message "No Wi-Fi networks were found"

I tried everything:

* Hard Reset
* Factory Reset
* Install the official update from Amazon (5.16.2.1.1)
* Device Info: I have a MAC Address

But I'm getting the same result, It's weird. Can be related to hardware issue? I was thinking about jailbreaking it and try to get more info with SSH, any suggestion?

Thanks in advance
enterthev0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Kindle won't see 5ghz. What is your router broadcasting?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
enterthev0id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kindle won't see 5ghz. What is your router broadcasting?
Indeed, my router is broadcasting in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and all routers near by the same, because of the ISP.

Also I tried using my phone as hotspot in 2.4GHz and with the channel between 1-11, no changes.

No wi-fi networks are being listed.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthev0id View Post
Indeed, my router is broadcasting in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and all routers near by the same, because of the ISP.

Also I tried using my phone as hotspot in 2.4GHz and with the channel between 1-11, no changes.

No wi-fi networks are being listed.
Silly question. Airplane mode is turned off?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 01:58 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I was thinking about jailbreaking it and try to get more info with SSH, any suggestion?
I have not jailbroken my PW3, but don't you have to first be able to SSH in over WiFi to install/configure SSH over USB? And if your WiFi is not working, you won't be able to SSH in in the first place.

My first guess would be airplane mode as already suggested by @Quoth, my second guess would be hardware (probably a lost cause if that's the case).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2024, 03:51 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Silly question. Airplane mode is turned off?
For many years (always?) whenver an operation requiring wifi is attempted in airplane mode there is a pop-up asking whether to enable wifi / leave airplane mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have not jailbroken my PW3, but don't you have to first be able to SSH in over WiFi to install/configure SSH over USB? And if your WiFi is not working, you won't be able to SSH in in the first place.
USB networking is installed to and configured in the partition exported as USB mass storage. I use ssh to all my jailbroken kindles and have never used or even configured ssh to a kindle over wifi.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:07 PM   #7
enterthev0id

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

My first guess would be airplane mode as already suggested by @Quoth, my second guess would be hardware (probably a lost cause if that's the case).
Yeah, airplane mode is disabled. I even tried to enable and disable it a couple of times to see if that fix this issue, but nothing.

SSH over USB or install a terminal app, whatever I can do to have a privileged user to see what is happening.

I don't know if I'm missing something or I can try something before going to JB.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:57 PM   #8
enterthev0id

Update: I did the jailbreak and run iwconfig, the result sucks.

lo no wireless extensions

no basically it's not recognizing the integrated wireless card, I suppose that's nothing to do :/
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For many years (always?) whenver an operation requiring wifi is attempted in airplane mode there is a pop-up asking whether to enable wifi / leave airplane mode.

USB networking is installed to and configured in the partition exported as USB mass storage. I use ssh to all my jailbroken kindles and have never used or even configured ssh to a kindle over wifi.
Both true. Though I couldn't get USB networking to go on my Kindle DXG. I may try again sometime if 3G and 2G is turned off so I can reset the date after flat battery.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #10
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
I bought an secondhand Kindle PW3 and I can't connect to WiFi, when I try to select the Wi-Fi network I get the message "No Wi-Fi networks were found"
I suspect that is why it was sold. Wifi not working.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, pw3, wifi