Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How much have you spent on ebooks vs. ereaders?
about 100x or more on ereaders as on ebooks 10 13.89%
about 50x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 20x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 1 1.39%
about 10x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 3 4.17%
about 5x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about 2x as much on ereaders as on ebooks 5 6.94%
about the same on ereaders and ebooks 4 5.56%
about 2x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 4 5.56%
about 5x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 10 13.89%
about 10x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 11 15.28%
about 20x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 50x as much on ebooks as on ereaders 1 1.39%
about 100x or more on ebooks as on ereaders 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #46
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have spent quite a bit on ereaders, but I think I've spent more on books. Not 20 times more or whatever, but it's hard to quantify. I haven't kept track.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #47
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
pw3 I paid $55 inc tax. for after Trade-in Bonus & it being on sale... IF it last 2 years I be happy. e-books are Mostly Freebies or I catch my mail authors when they on sale. I adv $15 -20 month if that on e-books.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This is an interesting question. If I were to add the price of all the ereaders I've bought and all the ebooks I've bought, then both numbers would be exorbitantly high and I'd be depressed thinking about it! In the end though it probably evens out.

I bought my first ereader in March 2007. In the beginning the reader cost probably exceeded the book cost. I started borrowing books in 2009. The reader and book cost probably equalized. By 2014 I had increased my libraries to three and joined a subscription service. The cost of readers meanwhile was declining. So I transitioned to books costing more. However my annual spend on both readers and books has been decreasing year over year. And, the cost avoidance of the books borrowed probably exceeded both the cost of the reader and the books in more recent years.

2016 will be interesting. I bought an Oasis which at $312 defies the trend of declining reader prices. So far I have spent $87 on book purchases and my subscription service. The cost avoidance of books that I have borrowed is $306.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #49
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
As of today, I've spent approx. five times more money on ebooks than ereaders. However the result is skewed by my having bought a Kobo reader three days ago. Prior to that purchase, the ratio was just under 10 times more on ebooks than ereaders.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've estimated 10x as much on ebooks as ereaders. I do have a good measure of ebook spend. I've had to have a bit of a guess at ereader spend.

[EDIT: Checking, I've spent around £5600 on ebooks over the years.

Perhaps I have spent a bit more than £560 on ebook readers over that time - several Sony Cliés, Bookeen Cybook, Kindle 2i, Bookeen Opus, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage - but certainly not more than £1120.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-09-2016 at 01:36 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've estimated 10x as much on ebooks as ereaders. I do have a good measure of ebook spend. I've had to have a bit of a guess at ereader spend.
I arrived at the same multiplier from the other end; I have a very good sense of how much I've spent on ereaders, but the ebooks are an estimate.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:05 AM   #52
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
In ebook spending: include subscripions, library memberships, etc.

In ereader spending: include ereader covers and accessories, ereading apps, etc. but don't include phones, laptops etc. unless you bought them mainly for reading ebooks.

Which option is closest, in your estimation, to what you have spent on ereaders vs. ebooks to date?

Edit: Sorry my phrasing of the options was a bit clumsy. "about 2x more on ebooks than on ereaders" would have been better than saying "about 2x as much on ebooks as on ereaders".

The basic idea of the poll is to see what proportion of spending goes on content (ebooks) compared to the things needed to read that content (ereaders).
Interesting exercise, though I'd recommend changing the title and description to "digital books" - or better, "digital content" - to include audiobooks, comics, periodicals, etc. that many people consume primarily via devices used for consuming that content.

*In ebook [i.e., digital content] spending: include subscrip[t]ions, library memberships, etc. - I'm not counting library taxes, because that's a required expenditure whether I use public library services or not = max. $500

*In ereader spending: include ereader covers and accessories, ereading apps, etc.[,] but don't include phones, laptops[,] etc.[,] unless you bought them mainly for reading ebooks. - approx. $800, since 2011

*Which option is closest, in your estimation, to what you have spent on ereaders vs. ebooks to date? - ereaders/ebooks= $800/$500 = 1.6 = "about 2x as much on ereaders as on ebooks"

Unfortunately, however, I responded to the poll incorrectly. I should have more carefully read your question before doing so, because I answered based on the value of the vast ebooks/audiobooks/comics/periodicals library I own rather than on the amount I've actually spent purchasing or subscribing to that digital content.

Last edited by Froide; 05-12-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
All but one of my ereaders were bought used or refurbished. The other one was bought at a substantial discount.

I rarely spend more than $5 for an ebook, usually less, and a lot were free.
Pretty much the same for me. I don't pay a lot for eBooks (occasionally more than $5) but I also don't pay much for my eReaders (even though I've bought too many of them). I've got many more eBooks than eReaders, so I guessed I spent about 5 times as much for eBooks than for eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Interesting exercise, though I'd recommend changing the title and description to "digital books" - or better, "digital content" - to include audiobooks, comics, periodicals, etc. that many people consume primarily via devices used for consuming that content.
Changing it would invalidate the votes of everyone who has already voted. That's why we don't edit polls.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #55
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Changing it would invalidate the votes of everyone who has already voted. That's why we don't edit polls.
Also, at least in my mind, "Digital content" includes movies and music as well as books, comics, audiobooks and periodicals.

When I was taking the poll, I included all content that I bought to put onto my Kindle...whether it's a straight ebook, manga, or a periodical. For instance, I included the Amazon literary periodical Day One, which is sent directly to my Kindle every week. If I bought Audio books, I would probably include those as well, but I don't so I didn't

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #56
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
10-4. Thanks for catching that. I should been more explicit, to suggest a new poll, as I didn't intend to recommend changing this specific one midstream.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I also don't pay much for my eReaders (even though I've bought too many of them).
Me, too. With the exception of the original Nook for which I paid full price when it came out, all my ereaders were bought at a discount ranging from significant to substantial.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote