Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2024, 03:56 AM   #1
Pausen
Pausen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Question Kobo Libra Colour color saturation

Hi,

i got the new kobo libra colour and i was wondering if there is a way to alter the colors saturation for example on this device like on other brands as the onyx or pocketbook readers.

I know there there is not official way to do it at the moment, but maybe someone discovered a mod where you can alter the colors in that way slightly

Regards
Pausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:18 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Inherently no Kaleido screen on any model can do saturated colours. On the other models it's simply a kind of posterisation, changing darker and less saturated colours to more like the maximum. Reduces number of colours/shades dramatically.

You can of course edit the images on a PC to posterize them and maximise the colour.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2024, 08:18 AM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If you enable dev mode. (do a search for devmodeon in the home screen search bar.)..

Then go to Settings, Device Information, at the bottom, Developer Options,

2nd page of Dev options, there is "CFA Mode" you can try different modes for the Colour filter. The S options seems to mostly be about saturation, S9 was rather extreme oversaturation. I did not spend much time comparing all the options.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:48 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The S options seems to mostly be about saturation, S9 was rather extreme oversaturation. I did not spend much time comparing all the options.
However because it's translucent dots that don't fully fill the pixel, all it can really do to make it more colourful is reduce the colour/tone range. The maximum saturation is pastel shades.
So no doubt S9 is like full "posterization mode" in an image editor.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:52 AM   #5
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are a few posts on reddit comparing the Libra Color with the Pocketbook Inkpad Color.

There is quite a difference despite both devices using the same type of display (Eink Kaleido 3) and the same ebook-file:

-> https://www.reddit.com/r/pocketbook/..._colour_outch/
-> https://www.reddit.com/r/ereader/com..._libra_colour/

It would be nice if Kobo added an option that lets you choose between different color saturations (without having to go into devmode).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my-own-comparative-review-of-kobo-libra-colour-pocketbook-v0-azlurnylguxc1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	208189   Click image for larger version

Name:	my-own-comparative-review-of-kobo-libra-colour-pocketbook-v0-wyjg3oylguxc1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	208190   Click image for larger version

Name:	my-own-comparative-review-of-kobo-libra-colour-pocketbook-v0-195uznylguxc1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	208191   Click image for larger version

Name:	inkpad-color-3-vs-libra-colour-outch-v0-ffc7raa70exc1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	208192   Click image for larger version

Name:	inkpad-color-3-vs-libra-colour-outch-v0-ztn0xaa70exc1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	208193   Click image for larger version

Name:	inkpad-color-3-vs-libra-colour-outch-v0-mid5bba70exc1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	208194  

Last edited by kyôdai; 05-11-2024 at 09:55 AM.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2024, 11:06 AM   #6
Chasethelight
Chasethelight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle Keyboard
It took me a minute to find it, so maybe I can help others:
In the first picture above, the device on the far right is an Ipad Mini. Not really a fair comparison, and should be labeled clearly.
The second picture I still can't identify the third device. I am guessing we are looking at the actual book. Is that a fair comparison? I can't say.
I do not own a color reader but I am excited to see some movement in the technology.
Chasethelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:21 PM   #7
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasethelight View Post
It took me a minute to find it, so maybe I can help others:
In the first picture above, the device on the far right is an Ipad Mini. Not really a fair comparison, and should be labeled clearly.
The second picture I still can't identify the third device. I am guessing we are looking at the actual book. Is that a fair comparison? I can't say.
I do not own a color reader but I am excited to see some movement in the technology.
The point of those images is to show how differently Kobo and Pocketbook handle colour on their respective devices...

The first two images also put a tablet and printed book next to them, yes. (I think this is very obvious...) This is quite helpfull, because it gives you an idea of what the colours should actually look like and how close Kobo and PB get.

It was not the point to show how much both of them still suck compared to an LCD screen or printed paper. That is a different discussion. I am sorry to burst your bubble.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #8
Chasethelight
Chasethelight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle Keyboard
Perhaps I should have begun by thanking you for taking the trouble to make and show us those images. I wish I had, and I know you were just being helpful.
Chasethelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:04 AM   #9
Pausen

I have checked the settings in devmode
all pictures are taken with 100% frontlight

To be honest the pictures look better at around 30% in my opinion.

There are some differences but no major ones or like bettween kobo and pocketbook
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	208207   Click image for larger version

Name:	S7.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	208208   Click image for larger version

Name:	S9.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	208209   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	208210   Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	208211   Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	208212  
Old 05-12-2024, 06:26 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Maybe #4 is a little duller, but otherwise I can't see much difference.

100% light sounds mad.

Does what ever you use as a camera not work at 10% to 30%?

How bright is the ambient light?
Old 05-12-2024, 07:11 AM   #11
Pausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Maybe #4 is a little duller, but otherwise I can't see much difference.

100% light sounds mad.

Does what ever you use as a camera not work at 10% to 30%?

How bright is the ambient light?
like i said i don´t use 100% normaly but it works best as a baseline. Since with the most light you have the most color.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:02 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's weird.. the difference for me was ridiculous (and very ugly looking.)

I did make a mistake though,, the G options seem to be what scales saturation (0 - 2)

Last edited by rashkae; 05-12-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:13 PM   #13
Pausen

Do you have to reboot
Because thats what i did Not do
Old 05-12-2024, 12:58 PM   #14
jpearn
jpearn began at the beginning.

Thanks for the devmodeon tip; forcing wifi on allows me to sync from Google Drive without having to restart every 2 minutes. And the colour changing is similar to the Nova3 C settings.
jpearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:57 PM   #15
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pausen View Post
Do you have to reboot
Because thats what i did Not do
No, did not have to reboot.. and you can see the effect pretty clear on your own shots between G0 and G2