Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2023, 12:12 AM   #91
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Do you still buy physical books?
Until yesterday, since 2010 I bought only 1 physical book and that is only because my favorite author responded to my email and sent me a signed bookplate so I got the physical book for the book plate. It was Red Window by Alma Katsu.

I get allot of physical books like from thrift shops and friends of the library stores.

Last edited by issybird; 11-21-2023 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Fixed tags.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #92
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have always read maybe two books a week, or just one if it was a behemoth. I jumped on the Kindle when it first came out and haven't looked back since.

Around 2009, I became Senior Field Tech Support for an electronics manufacturing company and traveled all over the US, Canada, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. I would sometimes stay in one city or another for two to three weeks. Hawaii was always three to four weeks since I lived in NYC and didn't like the 13-hour flight, so I could help as many people as possible in one go.

I carried the thinnest possible laptop (MS Surface) and my Kindle and I couldn't have been happier - I didn't need to carry lots of books or, manuals, or lots of schematics.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #93
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Only as a gift for someone else - or possibly a coffee table book. For reading? I have no interest in physical books
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:07 PM   #94
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andréa View Post
What about you guys? Do you prefer physical books or have you also made the switch to digital? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Safe travels and happy reading!
As can be read from various posts in this thread, I and many other MR members strongly prefer ebooks to paper and not only when traveling, but in most other circumstances as well. Many of us have read ebooks for more than a decade. We don't necessarily use Kindles; there are other ereader brands.

Then there are a few odd people who still like to read paper books There's no accounting for taste, as they say...

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-27-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #95
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andréa View Post
Hey everyone!

I wanted to share a bit of my recent experience with reading while traveling. Honestly, I'm done with lugging around hardcover books. On my last few trips, I've switched to using a Kindle and it's been a game-changer. What I love about the Kindle is how incredibly convenient it is. You can store an entire library in this slim device, which is a blessing when you're trying to pack light. For anyone who's still on the fence about switching to digital reading while traveling, I can't recommend the Kindle enough. It's changed the way I read on the go, and I don't see myself going back to hardcovers when I'm on the road. What about you guys? Do you prefer physical books or have you also made the switch to digital? Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Safe travels and happy reading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As can be read from various posts in this thread, I and many other MR members strongly prefer ebooks to paper and not only when traveling, but in most other circumstances as well. Many of us have read ebooks for more than a decade. We don't necessarily use Kindles; there are other ereader brands.

Then there are a few odd people who still like to read paper books There's no accounting for taste, as they say...
I would have given my eye teeth to have eBooks when my job had me constantly traveling during the 1980's.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 06:37 PM   #96
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Was that traveling Frenchman another spammer? His posts are gone.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:57 PM   #97
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
25 years ago I used to buy those 500-700 page "bibles", "Windows API Bible", etc.
20 years ago I travelled a lot and bought a trunkful from library book sales.
10 years ago I went ereader and never looked back.
I still have the Chilton's manual for my truck though.
I used to have the "Times Atlas of the World", and it still makes me drool, but Google Earth is more practical.

I'm one of those people who don't consider bookshelves to be esthetic.
If I were rich and living a few decades ago, I would have a nice basement with lots of books in Stor-Reel (those bookshelves on train tracks so that there is only four feet of slack in the entire set of bookshelves).
Yeah, I've been to Trinity Library and it strikes me as such a shame because 99.9% of the volumes never get read.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:38 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The last pBook I bought was The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. It's Discworld #27. I bought it because of all the illustrations that do not translate well to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:35 PM   #99
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I went crazy in November. Went some 20 years not buying a real book and I bought 16 out of the blue this month.. lol I got a signed copy of Eragon by Christopher Palani and a few special editions with the fancy edges like The Cruel Prince bound in black velvet and silver inlay
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:37 PM   #100
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I would have given my eye teeth to have eBooks when my job had me constantly traveling during the 1980's.
Apache
I remember getting my first ereader in 2010 (Barnes & Noble) I was so excited.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:44 AM   #101
shrsv
shrsv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Whenever people talk about physical books nostalgia, I find it extremely difficult to relate

eBooks seem to be better in almost every way: highlights, lookup, portability (whole library), search, ease of getting new titles...

The only type of physical books I'd buy are heavy technical/mathematical works, since Kindle et al tend to have trouble displaying the characters properly...
shrsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:26 AM   #102
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I bought one paperback this year: a Nikon Z50 user guide, which was also available as an ebook. I figured it would be easier to see photos and diagrams. When I started reading it, there were some parts in smaller print that were hard for me to read.

Before I bought my first kindle I bought a lot of books, mostly trade paperbacks but some hardcovers and many art books. That same year (2008), I was going through things and decluttering. I saved books for last and only got rid of already-read books, but I kept certain biographies. I got rid of a few too many, but the books were overrunning my apartment. I had stacks on the floor around my sofa. I have limited shelf space.

I thought I would be looking through my art books in my retirement, but I haven't. I still have them.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #103
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I spent 450 € for paper-books this year, all non-fiction.

Some of them aren’t available as ebooks but mainly I rediscovered how satisfying it is to hold a good paper-book in my hands.

The best is this one: https://www.wbg-wissenverbindet.de/s...-trajanssaeule
You can’t enjoy such a book on an e-reader

Last edited by Wiggo; 12-09-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:17 PM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I had stacks on the floor around my sofa. I have limited shelf space.
I'm trying to deaccession, but it's a very, very slow process.

Quote:
I thought I would be looking through my art books in my retirement, but I haven't. I still have them.
Sigh. With me, I think it's because overall, they're not very visible or accessible. Books in stacks are unseen. I'm glad you said this; I'll try to come up with a plan for the new year.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:32 PM   #105
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
The best is this one: https://www.wbg-wissenverbindet.de/s...-trajanssaeule
You can’t enjoy such a book on an e-reader
Wow, that's quite a book.

I went to check out what the Times Atlas is doing.
https://www.amazon.com/Times-Compreh...dp/0008610118/
The last time I had one I wished that the index would be separate book or an app.
Printing the index on that big, fancy paper seemed a waste.
It was also hard to read.
A crappy paperback would have been more useful.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote