Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
RayNeverLearns
RayNeverLearns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20 & Kindle Paperwhite
Talking Kobo Libra H2O or Kindle Paperwhite or... ?

I am 100% new to the e-book and e-ink reader world. I just purchased both a Kindle Paperwhite (32 GB, no ads) and a Kobo Libra H2O. I plan on deciding which one is my favorite within the next 2-3 weeks and then, returning the other device.

I am also new to this forum (this will be my first post after reading some threads here and trying a couple of mods on my Kobo). There are things that I like in one of the readers more than the other that software can't solve, like the lighter hardware and flush screen on the Paperwhite or the larger screen and physical buttons on the Libra H2O. But I am posting here now to ask about ability to mod and add features to both of these.

For example, one of the things I like the most on the Kindle is the personalized @kindle.com email address you get that allows you to add books to it wirelessly, say from your cell phone via email. This is a great feature. But I was also able to install KoboCloud on my Libra H20 and successfully add DropBox, Google Drive and pDrive as e-book sources when syncing. You just add the files to any of these cloud services, sync as you would when you purchase a book from the Kobo store and voila! I now have a way to wirelessly add books to both readers.

I have already installed and briefly tried NickelMenu, KOReader and Plato on my Kobo. I also saw a couple of threads that talk about jailbreaking the Kindle, but nothing on what can and cannot be done on/added to it.

Which of these two readers has a more active development community and available number of mods? Can formats like EPUB be supported natively on the Kindle via some type of mod? Different looking launchers? More customization?

Thank you add in advance for your feedback.
RayNeverLearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's nowhere near complete, but the following should give you a feel regarding what is available for kindles.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=kual
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Keep both.

But read on the Kobo Libra
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you want to hack, patch and modify, keep the Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Keep both.

One real advantage of doing this is that it gives the the "transfer to USB" option for buying books from the Kindle Store. Much easier to subsequently, er, format shift.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Keep both.

Why keep both if all that will get used is the Libra?

I do agree with keeping the Libra as it's firmware is a lot better then the Kindle and it's less locked down. Plus, the 7" screen of the Libra is much nicer for reading then the 6" screen of the Kindle.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2021 at 05:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's nowhere near complete, but the following should give you a feel regarding what is available for kindles.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=kual
But we have no idea what firmware is on the Kindle. It may not be able to be jailbroken.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But we have no idea what firmware is on the Kindle. It may not be able to be jailbroken.
Irrelevant to the question answered.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Irrelevant to the question answered.
It's very relevant. You may be giving the OP information that he cannot use and he could end up with the Kindle because of it when he cannot install any of that.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's very relevant. You may be giving the OP information that he cannot use and he could end up with the Kindle because of it when he cannot install any of that.
The OP asked what could be done with a jailbroken kindle.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You can't add mods to the paperwhite. It's utterly locked down. Amazon killed the previously very active dev community. The kobo is open with an active mod community.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why keep both if all that will get used is the Libra?
A simple way to buy Amazon ebooks for the Kobo. Some authors are only on Amazon and Amazon is working to make that a bigger percentage.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A simple way to buy Amazon ebooks for the Kobo. Some authors are only on Amazon and Amazon is working to make that a bigger percentage.
Why not buy a cheaper refurbished Kindle for that instead of a new 32GB model that will cost a lot more?
Old 01-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

That's true too, if it's genuine and not block-listed.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
That's true too, if it's genuine and not block-listed.
When I migrated from Kindle to Kobo I gave my PW3 to my Dad, then in his early 80s. He's in care now and doesn't use it, but his Amazon account is proving very useful for those books not on Kobo.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote