Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 01:33 AM   #91
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
After much searching, I cannot find any more libraries that will permit non-resident cards remotely. It seems Little Rock, Arkansas (previously posted) was the last I could find.

And I searched dozens of the larger library systems. I went through every town in Suffolk County to see if one would allow access to the very large (200,000+) Livebrary network. Next, I investigated whether NYPL's digital access is available to Brooklyn card holders. Unfortunately, you must be a NY state resident and actually be present in the state when setting up the SimplyE app. No loopholes.

Caution: Some libraries will not allow non-residents to download digital items. Before signing up, please, make sure their policy hasn't changed like it did in MN, NM and Tampa.
Thanks for doing all the searching. That Livebrary makes me envious - shame we can't join with out of resident fees

As for Tampa, it is double annoying for me with that one. It is part of the free reciprocity program for me, is the next county over, so I can get a card for free there, but I can't check out any digital items. Excluding free residents in their reciprocity network is irritating.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 08-06-2022 at 01:40 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:20 AM   #92
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Largest OverDrive Libraries

For reference, I'm including a list of the largest OverDrive libraries; they have ePub collections of at least 150,000 books. Five of these libraries offer non-resident cards, but three of them have severe restrictions. I belong to two libraries on this list - Sno-Isle and King County.

OverDrive Library --------- Fee ------ epub --- kindle ---- mp3
  1. Los Angeles Pub (CA) --- $50/year --- 355,693 --- 317,221 --- 101,326
  2. Sno-Isle Library (WA) ------------------- 240,673 --- 224,833 --- 118,242
  3. NLB Singapore (SG) ---------------------- 240,108 ------------------- 48,532
  4. Live-brary.com (NY) --------------------- 201,463 --- 190,109 ---- 78,173
  5. Hennepin Cty (MN) ------ $60/year --- 197,073 --- 186,521 ----- 56,876
  6. Toronto Pub Lib (ON) -------------------- 181,142 ------------------- 48,259
  7. King County Lib (WA) -------------------- 180,303 --- 173,913 ---- 69,941
  8. Brooklyn Public (NY) ---- Free Card --- 177,029 --- 149,480 ---- 67,025
  9. New York Public (NY) -------------------- 172,190 --- 144,690 ---- 62,775
  10. Metropolitan Lib (OK) --- $70/year --- 164,992 --- 155,737 ---- 70,319
  11. Stark Library (OH) ------- $30/year --- 161,569 --- 152,146 ---- 50,529

Restrictions
  • Los Angeles -- must register in-person
  • Hennepin -- must register in-person -- digital checkouts NOT allowed
  • Brooklyn -- restricted to ages 13~21

• Libraries without fees -- non-resident cards not offered

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-06-2022 at 07:59 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #93
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like Metropolitan Library systems is in person only to apply for non-resident. I could have sworn it was different when researching last weekend, but could be my imagination. That was one I was considering, but not possible with the in person process.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 08-06-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #94
Paperbackstash
Wizard

This may not be of use to many who use Broward County Library, but I found that if you have a card for this library, including digital only card, you can access the http://public.library.nova.edu/card/ Alvin Sherman Educational Library free by using your Broward County Login. I tried it and it worked. They use the CloudLibrary or EbookCentral app and it's mainly educational, so no overdrive unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
CloudLibrary's app somehow links toy our ADE and delivers ePub. You would have to find where the ePub is stored on your system to be able to copy it to your Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #96
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
It looks like Metropolitan Library systems is in person only to apply for non-resident. I could have sworn it was different when researching last weekend, but could be my imagination. That was one I was considering, but not possible with the in person process.
From their website:

Quote:
Annual Fee Card
If you don't meet the qualifications for one of the cards listed above, you can purchase an Annual Fee Card for $70 per year. This single card allows everyone in your household to use the Metropolitan Library System. If you use our library value calculator to tally the cost of purchasing books, CDs, magazines, music, DVDs, eBooks, eAudiobooks, newspapers, and internet access, you will see the value of the $70 fee. You can apply for a card in person at any Metro Library or by contacting us.
You need to email them your name, address, phone, DOB and valid email address.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #97
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
My Digital Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
CloudLibrary's app somehow links toy our ADE and delivers ePub. You would have to find where the ePub is stored on your system to be able to copy it to your Reader.
In Windows, the default directory for ADE epub downloads is
Documents/My Digital Editions
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought so too. I check the requirements before adding libraries to the lists. Either it was changed or I screwed up.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
From their website:

You need to email them your name, address, phone, DOB and valid email address.
Well, they certainly buried that info in their FAQ section; a place I wouldn't go to to check for library card info. In their Library Account section under Types of Library Accounts, it states:

Quote:
Annual Fee Account

Live outside our service area? You can obtain an annual fee account for $70 per year which is less than the average taxpayer in our service area pays in property taxes that go to the Metropolitan Library System each year. Even better, each member of your household can use the account. Using our library value calculator, you can quickly see just what a bargain $70 is for your entire household.

Please visit one of our locations if you would like to apply for an Annual Fee Account.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #100
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, they certainly buried that info in their FAQ section; a place I wouldn't go to to check for library card info. In their Library Account section under Types of Library Accounts, it states:
Yes, rules can change which is why I think it's best to confirm before starting application or sending money.

I received my Metropolitan card number on July 25th by email and the physical card a couple of days later. The entire process took 15 minutes.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes, rules can change which is why I think it's best to confirm before starting application or sending money.

I received my Metropolitan card number on July 25th by email and the physical card a couple of days later. The entire process took 15 minutes.
Thanks for confirming that
Old 08-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #102
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
This may not be of use to many who use Broward County Library, but I found that if you have a card for this library, including digital only card, you can access the http://public.library.nova.edu/card/ Alvin Sherman Educational Library free by using your Broward County Login.
This brings up the question of which non-resident card has the best access to periodicals.

Looking in here, I’m finding that OKC is unusually good for a public library. But university libraries have broader access to scientific journals. It looks like the answer may possibly be Nova Southeastern University via Broward County. Do any other of the libraries on tubemonkey’s list give access to jstor, tandfonline, or similar?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #103
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I thought so too. I check the requirements before adding libraries to the lists. Either it was changed or I screwed up.
No, not just you. I looked several times as it was the one I was most interested in besides Stark. I'm thinking they changed it, at least on the sign-up page.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #104
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:

I think a lot of these libraries are getting an influx of new out of residency subscribers due to the Brooklyn change, announcements on Reddit, here, etc.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This brings up the question of which non-resident card has the best access to periodicals.

Looking in here, I’m finding that OKC is unusually good for a public library. But university libraries have broader access to scientific journals. It looks like the answer may possibly be Nova Southeastern University via Broward County. Do any other of the libraries on tubemonkey’s list give access to jstor, tandfonline, or similar?
Go to post #2 and click on the "Digital" link for each library. That should bring up most, if not all, of their e-resources. Happy hunting