Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Battery Replacement: Boox Note Air vs. Note3

I learnt from this that Note3 got screws while Note Air doesn't.
Screws indicate battery replacement is possible (I know there are other factors), so lack of those makes me wonder if battery replacement is in fact possible with Note Air.

There is the same text in the Boox manual for both devices saying that for battery replacement the offical after-sale team should be contacted. So going from this, one would think battery replacement is possible for both devices.

Is battery replacement in fact possible for Note Air? What do you think?

Last edited by tommyer; 09-11-2021 at 04:59 PM.
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If there are no screws, that means that there is glue. This complicates the disassembly quite a lot. So technically yes, battery replacement is possible - but not intended by a user. Most probably they have a proper heating station to carefully separate the glass without breaking.

Last edited by mergen3107; 09-12-2021 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Typo
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If there are not screws, that means that there is glue. This complicates the disassembly quite a lot. So technically yes, battery replacement is possible - but not intended by a user. Most probably they have a proper heating station to carefully separate the glass without breaking.
There are no screws on the Note Air
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If there are no screws, that means that there is glue.
Not necessarily. I had a cheap tablet once in which I had to replace a defective battery. It had neither glue nor screws holding it together. Just plastic clips. A guitar pick was all that was needed to open it up. Whether or not this is also the case for the Note Air, I haven't a clue.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Not necessarily. I had a cheap tablet once in which I had to replace a defective battery. It had neither glue nor screws holding it together. Just plastic clips. A guitar pick was all that was needed to open it up. Whether or not this is also the case for the Note Air, I haven't a clue.
With Nore Air it would be difficult. It has a metal housing that goes around corners and edges right up to a little over the glass surface of the screen
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
With Nore Air it would be difficult. It has a metal housing that goes around corners and edges right up to a little over the glass surface of the screen
Never really looked closely at images of the Note Air. I wasn't at all interested in it due to the smaller battery size. It does sound like it may be a challenge to open it up. Hope this isn't what the future holds for Boox devices.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Never really looked closely at images of the Note Air. I wasn't at all interested in it due to the smaller battery size. It does sound like it may be a challenge to open it up. Hope this isn't what the future holds for Boox devices.
Nova Air looks exactly like this in the photos

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-12-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
tommyer
Connoisseur

It is possible to replace the battery for Air, more or less as a matter of course but it is always reassuring to know for sure before you purchase.

Onyx told me cost is depending on the warranty status and where device was purchased. For example, they have a repair center in Poland. Price seems reasonable https://www.reddit.com/r/Onyx_Boox/c...nyx_boox_note/

Your retailer can be your first help as well.

Given that, battery is secondary to me. I think Air battery is 20% weaker in terms of time than N3, still ok. Air has other pros. Weight is balanced by handle. Screen should be better. Storage and storage speed is secondary to me. Performance should be the same with normal text. Gyroscope Air. Taking notes not a premium to me and difference not that big. I would probably prefer Air to N3 even if there was no price difference.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post

Given that, battery is secondary to me. I think Air battery is 20% weaker in terms of time than N3, still ok. Air has other pros. Weight is balanced by handle. Screen should be better. Storage and storage speed is secondary to me. Performance should be the same with normal text. Gyroscope Air. Taking notes not a premium to me and difference not that big. I would probably prefer Air to N3 even if there was no price difference.
For the record, in the end, I settled for Note3. The ergonomics of Note Air did not suit me. Probably because I am used to the Note design for some time. I prefer to support the back of the device with my palm and fingers covering as much as possible of the surface. Handling Note Air is more like pinching to me. I would have had to adapt to that. Never been a Remarkable user. With the handle feature of Note Air not being relevant for me, Note3 is over all the way better device for me.